Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Dawn 5/18 Questions

Hello! I am getting ready to book my cruise on NCL Dawn from NYC to Bermuda for 5/18. I have a couple of questions:

1. I would like to get an Oceanview room. Right now, it shows that there are rooms available on deck 4 & 5. Deck 5 shows rooms in the forward section near the theater. Deck 4 shows rooms more in the middle of the ship. How are the staterooms on Deck 4? Are they too low? Are the windows portholes or picture windows?

2. What is the parking situation at the pier in NYC? Is it relatively safe?

3. What websites would you recommend to book the cruise? All seem to be about the same price. Has anyone had any experience with Direct Line Cruises?

4. Are jeans allowed in the restaurants, or should I bring a pair of slacks?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL Dawn 5/18 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyers
Hello! I am getting ready to book my cruise on NCL Dawn from NYC to Bermuda for 5/18. I have a couple of questions:

1. I would like to get an Oceanview room. Right now, it shows that there are rooms available on deck 4 & 5. Deck 5 shows rooms in the forward section near the theater. Deck 4 shows rooms more in the middle of the ship. How are the staterooms on Deck 4? Are they too low? Are the windows portholes or picture windows?

2. What is the parking situation at the pier in NYC? Is it relatively safe?

3. What websites would you recommend to book the cruise? All seem to be about the same price. Has anyone had any experience with Direct Line Cruises?

Very good questions and I can give you some advice, as I just returned on Sunday from a week on the Dawn.

Jeans are 'out of place'. So, leave them home. Folks wearing them looked silly in my opinion. I did not pack any, as I was told that jeans were not allowed in specialty restaurants.

Have no knowledge of parking in NYC. Maybe try googling Avistar. Or, if you are going to stay at a hotel the night before and shuttle to the pier, most airport hotels will do a park and stay program.

Are jeans allowed in the restaurants, or should I bring a pair of slacks?

Watch out where the tender boats are hanging that can obstruct your view. We were on deck 9, so maybe 4 or 5 was not so good. You can view the decks online.

I was with a group of 10 that booked through a travel agent.

These message boards have a wealth of information.

Good luck. If I can help with any other questions, just ask. I wish you a great trip!!

Thanks for your help!
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Captain

I will give it a shot having been on the Dawn 7 times.

1, all cabins on deck 4 are portholes. The foreward cabins on 5 are as well. Midship would be better but keep in mind when you open your door on deck 4 in the morning you may be greeted by 100s of your fellow passengers as often that is the deck they exit the ship.

2. Parking is outstanding at the pier. Easy in easy out. You park on top of the pier. Perhaps the most secure lot in NYC. They are only open when the ship is at the pier and dogs check every car that enters. They just raised the price to $30 a day

3. No experience with Direct Line. I usually book direct with NCL unless I can get a great deal from one of the last minute online sites.

4. Allowed in all but one restaurant. As posted bring some slacks as well most will have them on. Your call

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska