Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Default Sun Alaska July 08

Hi my family and i will be cruising on the Sun for a cruise to Alaska. Some info on the Ship would be highly appreciated,especially regarding kids activities etc.

Would do you do for the excursions? book them onboard or after disenbarking at ports (where you can get same excursion for half price!!)

Thanks alot
ili
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sun Alaska July 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili
Hi my family and i will be cruising on the Sun for a cruise to Alaska. Some info on the Ship would be highly appreciated,especially regarding kids activities etc.

Would do you do for the excursions? book them onboard or after disenbarking at ports (where you can get same excursion for half price!!)

Thanks alot
ili
have clients that will be sailing the Sun in July as well. As for tours, my personal feeling has always been: book after you arrive or chekc the net and book privately. A good way to get more ideas: go to the roll call on CruiseMates or CruiseCritics (I hate mentioning another site, but they do have a very active roll call)

I just read a review from someone off the Sun last week, 2.0 is pretty much into full swing which is great news. The kids program on NCL is considered one of the best at sea so I am sure your family will have a great time. I don't know what else to tell you, if you have questions please ask, many of us on this board have cruised the Sun and many think she is a great ship.

Nita
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. very pleased to hear that kids are taken good care of during cruise.

I have cruised twice with rcl before and this is our first time with ncl. How does the free style cruising compare with the tradtional dining on other cruise liners.(dress code,restaurants,drinks etc)

May i ask a silly quest : Will we be able to swim in the pool in mid July?

Thanks
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili
Thanks for the info. very pleased to hear that kids are taken good care of during cruise.

I have cruised twice with rcl before and this is our first time with ncl. How does the free style cruising compare with the tradtional dining on other cruise liners.(dress code,restaurants,drinks etc)

May i ask a silly quest : Will we be able to swim in the pool in mid July?

Thanks
Well let me try to answer your questions: The biggest difference in freesyle over traditional is the choice in dining times which we prefer and the dress code. You will be very comfortable and fit right in wearing nice jeans, docker type pants (men and boys) or capres for the gals. If dressing up is important to you, be assured you will not stand out in dresses or suits on a couple of nights, but you can come totally casual and fit right in. In fact Alaska cruises are, normally a little more relaxed.

I am not sure what you mean about drinks, if you are talking about free choices, you can have, milk, coffee, including capachino, tea (hot or iced) and of course water. Juice in available at breakfast. I am not sure if they have added punch or lemonade with the new 2.0.

Of course you will have more dining choices, make sure you go to Las Rambles for tapas at least one evening before dinner. What fun it is and you can really make a meal on them alone. One thing that is fun for everyone: eat your dinner early and return to the dining room for dessert after the show. This is something you can not do with traditional dining.

Of course some of the dining rooms do have sur charges, others don't I won't list which is which right now or the prices as seem to be changing daily.

Can you swim in July? Most likely, no, but suits don't take up that much room; toss them in your luggage just in case. The pool on the Sun isn't covered thus it can be pretty chilly.

Nita
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sun Alaska July 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili

Thanks alot
ili
Depending on what excursions you're interested in doing, you might want to book them in advance. In Alaska, particularly, a lot of the more popular ones (flights for glaciers landings, dog sleds, etc.) tend to sell out. I'd recommend doing research on the port of call boards, identifying what you're interested in, and then seeing if you can identify a recommended independent to book with.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Passenger

thanks alot for giving me some info.

I am realy looking forward for this rip with my family so i am trying to gather as much info as possible.

Thought i will be sunbathing on the deck!!!!

I am sure the scenary is fantastic.

Any one having problems in filling out the online pre registration form. i am not sure if it's from my side or ncl site.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to zazi

Hi

I'm going on a NCL Sun cruise up to Alaska too departing on around the 27th July. What date are you going?

I'm only 14 so I hope there's gonna be other people my age there otherwise I might get a bit bored.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Passenger

very sorry but not same cruise and my son is only 6 years old!!!
I am sure you would like someone more your age!!! good luck. you will definatly make friends on board
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazi
Hi

I'm going on a NCL Sun cruise up to Alaska too departing on around the 27th July. What date are you going?

I'm only 14 so I hope there's gonna be other people my age there otherwise I might get a bit bored.
there will be lots of kids your age. Make sure the first night you attend the teen get together.

Nita