Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Yeoman

Default F3 cabins

I have looked at the pictures of the F3 cabins and wonder, what have they done with the bathrooms? When you enter the room, the WC is on one side and the shower is on the other side, why not have them in the same room?

Can anyone explain why that is good?
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: F3 cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I have looked at the pictures of the F3 cabins and wonder, what have they done with the bathrooms? When you enter the room, the WC is on one side and the shower is on the other side, why not have them in the same room?

erikhag:

I have studied the pictures and I really like the look. I too noticed the sink on the outside of the bathroom. I personally like the idea. I believe this will give more space in the bathroom for the commode and the shower. It also will give a man/woman couple the ability for one to shower while the other is doing what they need to at the sink.

I just hope they have storage space in the bathroom for toiletries. I wouldn't want to see an array of toiletries in the main cabin.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag

Separating them is very good. Both can be used at the same time and not effect the other passenger

Now the sink in the cabin may take some getting used to. I understand there is a curtain to separated that whole section of the cabin and that should help.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I love the look! So modern & retro! Hope the other cruise lines take notice!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeoman

So I got an answer, some other people likes it!

I personally don´t but it´s not a problem, I can choose another NCL-ship!
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like the idea of separating the commode and the shower. It seems like one or the other of us is in the shower when the other needs to use the commode, which isn't always a pleasant situation . At first I thought I liked the sink in the cabin, but now I'm not so sure. I guess it depends on how it's arranged and whether there is storage space around it for toothbrushes, etc.

I don't like the idea of that many passengers on a ship, however, so unless it's my only alternative, I'll probably stick with one of the "smaller" ships.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Admiral

I dont like the concept in terms of washroom set up. I dont need to listen to some one gargling and brushing their teeth as I lie in bed, considering it is a couple of feet away at best. A bathroom door does give a sound barrier and privacy. Most people I know, when taking a shower also do other things like their teeth etc, I like my bathroom to have a sink and a shower in it. I am surprised a concept would be like this, it seems rather unclean, carpets right below and all. No, sinks belong in a bathroom with a tiled floor, in my humble opinion.

I am adding this note as I looked at it closer. It seems there is a hard surface floor. I hate the concept , I see the bathroom area, is in front of the door, now presently when I am in the shower and some one comes in, I have my privacy when I get out of it, towel off and such, now some one can open the door, and every one can see me stand there stark naked? I dont think so and I love NCL.
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I think this is one of those things, that you have to try it in person and then make a decision
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

I love the set up. It is much like some hotels that have the wash basin outside the rest of the bathroom and yes, it allows more people to get ready or use the facilities at once.

Nita
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I love the set up. It is much like some hotels that have the wash basin outside the rest of the bathroom and yes, it allows more people to get ready or use the facilities at once.

Nita
Thats exactly why I hate it. I have been in places that have that set up and hate it. I like my privacy. I could live with it, but it really bugs me some one can come in ( cabin mate) open a door and any one walking by can see you standing there brushing teeth or washing your face what ever. I see there is a curtain to block the view from the bed, but I dont see it by the door. That bothers me alot.

Just goes to show and prove once again one feature liked by one will be disliked by another.
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Yeoman

It is getting worse and worse! I didn´t realized how open all the facilities are, the sink in the room and the shower and the WC seems to have glass doors, hopefully "frosted" but anyway!

I know that many hotelrooms in America, probably in other places too but I have only seen it in America, have the sink out in the room and I really hate that, I can´t see anything good with that!

I cruise with a lovely woman and seeing her naked is not a problem, it´s not a problem if she sees my naked either, but I really shouldn´t like to cruise with anyone else under these circumstanses!
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In France I saw mock ups of the cabins. Visually , you walk in and they are stunning. The shower is huge, and has a sliding door to close it up.

There are some shortcomings user wise... that I spoke to the designers and Colin Veitch about regaring vanity, and the issue of coming outof the shower. Even though they released rendering, we werent allowed to take pictures because they are still going to be toying with the "vanity" issue.

Will write more about this when the jet-lag clears my head. I believe it is going to be an issue.... especially for room to manoever, and when families are sharing a cabin.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Mike M I too noticed the sink on the outside of the bathroom. I personally like the idea. I believe this will give more space in the bathroom for the commode and the shower.
Vanity, I thought that was the wet bar! 8) It is about time that cruise lines add a wet bar in addition to the vanity sink.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Touring the mock cabin for the standard balcony cabin it did appear you could shave and brush your teeth without getting out of bed

The set up in the mini suite appeared to offer much more room at the vanity.

The rest of the cabin is impressive when you first see it. They have WOW factor for sure!!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

am I right in assuming the shower and toilet are both in the bedroom(curtain or not)?
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
am I right in assuming the shower and toilet are both in the bedroom(curtain or not)?
If you think the current bathrooms are in the bedroom then the answer is yes. The shower room and toilet room are inside the cabin

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

We were talking about it over breakfrast, I was with an infection control Nurse, she said she was surprised to see any one design a bathroom with no sink in the actual commode area. If it stays as it is, then you would be touching doors and surfaces before washing hands.............if you even bothered to wash hands when it is not "right in your face to remember"...sounds grossse I know, but just look at the studies to show how many people dont wash their hands.
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Yeoman

Eric, as it looks to me the toilet and the shower are in the bedroom!

Does normal people have their sink in the bedroom or livingroom at home? If not, why shall we have in when we are cruising?
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
We were talking about it over breakfrast, I was with an infection control Nurse, she said she was surprised to see any one design a bathroom with no sink in the actual commode area. If it stays as it is, then you would be touching doors and surfaces before washing hands.............if you even bothered to wash hands when it is not "right in your face to remember"...sounds grossse I know, but just look at the studies to show how many people dont wash their hands.
Not washing hands is the most common cause of noro virus and other illnesses I have heard, now for no sink in the commode area: I have seen many houses lately built that way plus we have stayed in many hotels where the sink is separate. I had never thought about the germ problems, I just love the idea of being able to get ready to go somewhere while someone else showers or using the bathroom for other things.

Nita
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Admiral

The solution is clearly to have a wash basin in the toilet area. Leave the one in the cabin if you wish, it is nice to wash your face or put on make up while one uses the other, BUT one must be able to wash their hands right away. I have NEVER seen a toilet area in a home with not even a small wash basin in the same room, no matter how small the space. Maybe this is something common else where, but not where I live and I never have seen this in Holland. My Aunt has a bathroom in Holland, the toilet area is basically a small closet, but there is still a small wash basis to wash hands. The shower area, is directly next door, with the shower and a sink and also the washer/dryer. In some homes, they are really small, I have seen that, but there is something to wash your hands. To have a sink out side fine, but let people wash their hands immediately after using the facillities. It boggles my mind , from a health point of view, on a ship where you got so many people and one knows the issue and importance of washing hands that any one would come up with a concept of no sink to wash hands in the toilet area. In the very old wing of the hospital, there were actually a few toilet area's that had no sink, you had to walk out and immedietly to the left was a sink, well, with the spread of germs and illness, that is no more, every bathroom has a sink in the toilet area and many of the rooms have another sink in the room.

I will not sail on a ship with no wash basin by a toilet, period. I would just worry to much about the ability to prevent illness. Yes, some people no matter what wont wash, but not having a sink right there makes it more likely.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Admiral

NCL probably by design gave some folks an advance peak, just so they could receive feedback like we are providing..they'll do the adjustments after monitering these and other boards and industry feedback..probably will wind up putting a sink in the bathroom and keep the one outside the bathroom

good way to "float" new ideas before the final production
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
NCL probably by design gave some folks an advance peak, just so they could receive feedback like we are providing..they'll do the adjustments after monitering these and other boards and industry feedback..probably will wind up putting a sink in the bathroom and keep the one outside the bathroom

good way to "float" new ideas before the final production
That is something I agree very much with you Venice!

And while NCL is reading this, also take into account that There is no way I like the idea that if my companion opens a cabin door to come in or go out, that if I stand there drying off or getting into clothes, that every one in the hall gets a view. Yes there is a curtain, but it separates the bed part, it does not create a barrier view wise from the doorway/hallway. If you are a family, with kids running in and out, this will be an especially big problem. Sorry, for a very small room, give me a proper bathroom and lets not get to free with the freestyle. We are not in a large hotel room.
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
The solution is clearly to have a wash basin in the toilet area. Leave the one in the cabin if you wish, it is nice to wash your face or put on make up while one uses the other, BUT one must be able to wash their hands right away. I have NEVER seen a toilet area in a home with not even a small wash basin in the same room, no matter how small the space. Maybe this is something common else where, but not where I live and I never have seen this in Holland. My Aunt has a bathroom in Holland, the toilet area is basically a small closet, but there is still a small wash basis to wash hands. The shower area, is directly next door, with the shower and a sink and also the washer/dryer. In some homes, they are really small, I have seen that, but there is something to wash your hands. To have a sink out side fine, but let people wash their hands immediately after using the facillities. It boggles my mind , from a health point of view, on a ship where you got so many people and one knows the issue and importance of washing hands that any one would come up with a concept of no sink to wash hands in the toilet area. In the very old wing of the hospital, there were actually a few toilet area's that had no sink, you had to walk out and immedietly to the left was a sink, well, with the spread of germs and illness, that is no more, every bathroom has a sink in the toilet area and many of the rooms have another sink in the room.

I will not sail on a ship with no wash basin by a toilet, period. I would just worry to much about the ability to prevent illness. Yes, some people no matter what wont wash, but not having a sink right there makes it more likely.
our daughter has a home where the john is private and the wash basins are outside the closet. You are going to open the door without having a chance to wash your hands. On the Jewell as well as a couple of other ships the john has a door as well. We have seen many houses built in America in recent years where the john has a door that makes the toilet private with the wash basin outside. My very favorite hotel and we have stayed in many is in Hong Kong. It is a Hilton brand, extremely upscale. The wonderful, lovely bathrooms have the toilet in a closet with no wash basin. the more I think of this, the more I do not think it is all that unusual. In all these cases you do have to open a door to get to the wash basin.

Nita
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Admiral

ON GEM and Dawn as well, there was a glass sliding door for the toilet, which I personally never used, I dont need to feel like a door closes me off like that, BUT this is far differant than having to leave a bathroom area and opening a door and then touching things around a living space where you sleep and eat. I have seen in a house a bathroom that had a privacy door, but it is all part of a bathroom, that I can tolerate, but I have never seen a home where you use the toilet and then leave and wash your hands 1/2 a foot from your bed. I also have never seen any set up in a hotel, and I have been in many that allow for people in a hallways to view you coming out of a shower should some one come into the room. Quite frankly, if I was looking at a house that had the powder room with no little sink, it would either be gutted and one added, or I would not buy it. As a nurse, the thought of going into a cabin, constructed the way it is in the preview pics gives me the creeps. I would imagine if there are PAX with norwalk or any other GI problem, it should be interesting to try and clean yourself up should you "have a problem"..........with no sink in a private space.......... On that lovely note, I go to bed!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Captain

The wavy walls and curved loveseat will make for uncomfortable lounging. I also am not a fan of round cornered beds. Had one on the Adventure and struggled to keep the covers on and it was very hard for my 5'10" hubby to be comfortable anywhere other than the center of the bed.

All I can suggest (as a fellow nurse) on the sanitation situation is to use a Kleenex to shield your hand when opening the bathroom door. I always do it in public restrooms anyway. But a bit of an inconvenienmce in your own cabin. Maybe they'll rethink this