Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Beginner

Default First time booking online and nervous

I'm interested in travelling on the Sun to Alaska on July 27. It's for a group of eight people in two cabins.

I've never booked online before and have gotten a very reasonable quote from ******quick. com. I'm a bit nervous since all communication is by email and not by phone. Is this a reputable place to get cruise tickets?
I'd hate to get scammed or find out there were hidden charges etc. So far it all seems professional and exactly what we want, but I've never not dealt with a "real" person before. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
Familiar Face

Hi~

Chances are, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'm not sure what site you are trying to book with. If I were you, I would either call NCL directly or book online through the NCL website. You can also check cruise prices on the NCL website without any obligation to book through them. If nothing else, consider calling NCL directly; tell them who you were booking through & what price you were quoted. A big "red flag" to me is the fact that you've never spoken w/a "live" person. That makes me nervous!

Good Luck!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Admiral

there are many that use the net to book cruises and vacations all the time with no problems; that being said, normally there isn't an awful lot of difference in pricing between a local TA and the net especially during high season which July is the highest season there is for cruising Alaska.

If you can not talk with someone on the phone I would be a little nervous as well. Again, there are internet companies that reserve in large lots and do have great deals, but I still would be very careful.

Nita
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Familiar Face

Given the portion of the cruise site which was not blocked out in your post, I think I know which online cruise agency you are talking about. I have booked three cruises with this particular agency, and have had no problems whatsoever. The "e-mail only" feature works fine for me and, in fact, I receive replies much faster than I do with phone-in agencies. With that said, however, you need to really do your research and know exactly what cruise you want to book, because these types of agencies are bare bones and really are just there to do the booking, and that's all. If you are the type of cruiser who needs to be walked through every step of the process and wants ongoing advice regarding excursions, ports and such after you book, then this type of process is probably not for you.

My first cruise was done through a local brick and mortar agency. For my second cruise, I researched the boards and reviews, chose my cruise and booked online. Any other advice I needed came from the boards or reviews.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the replies. I did go ahead and use the online booking site and had no problems at all. All my responses were answered by email so quickly and the booking went extremely smooth. I'll definitely use them again.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Familiar Face

Good for you! I just used the internet to book the Boston to Bermuda on the Dream in August. It doesn't seem to make sense to book with the cruise line when you can get the same cruise for less on most agency websites.

Have a great cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskari
Thank you for the replies. I did go ahead and use the online booking site and had no problems at all. All my responses were answered by email so quickly and the booking went extremely smooth. I'll definitely use them again.
I

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess