Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default Military discount

Has anyone ever used the Military discount from NCL? I am planning a cruise on the NCL Star on November 15th, 2008
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default Military discount

I forgot to say that this discount applys to retired and active duty Military, hope it helps others.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,931
Default

I am not sure if they have their November discounts posted yet but you can also try Interliner.com. Families who have members in the military can use it whether reserve, active or retired. We use one of our sons IDs and get great rates.
__________________
CU@C,
Teresa and Larry


#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
I am not sure if they have their November discounts posted yet but you can also try Interliner.com. Families who have members in the military can use it whether reserve, active or retired. We use one of our sons IDs and get great rates.
You are not supposed to do that, just so you know. When they talk about "families" they mean dependants, ie wives/husbands, or children. Im not sure how you used your sons "ID" tho....you mean you took it somewhere, and flashed it to get a discount? Not sure how you could use someones military ID, online....
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,931
Default

USMCWife99,
Did you go to the Interliner website and see who qualifies to book? If not, check it out and pass this info on to your friends. If you did, you would know we are allowed to because we are parents, we can use our son's ID and we are considered "family". Also DH is a service connected disabled US Army veteran and we have 3 sons in the USMC (since 1997). We have been booking cruises with them for over 4 years and all they require is a copy of the ID. No where did I say I "flashed it" to get a discount. I was sharing this information because I am sure there are many on this website who would also qualify and we find the discount rates to better than the cruiselines can offer sometimes.

Copied from Interliner's website:

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify. Anyone sharing a cabin also receives the discounted rate.
__________________
CU@C,
Teresa and Larry


#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Default

I Didnt SAY you flashed it, I ASKED if thats what you meant.
Its just like going to the PX or the Commissary with a service member- you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money. My inlaws wouldnt expect to get a discount using my husbands hard earned position in the military...noone should be able to do that. You will disagree, as will many others I AM SURE, but this is how I feel.
PS My husband has been in since 1997 too....just thought youd like to know



Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
USMCWife99,
Did you go to the Interliner website and see who qualifies to book? If not, check it out and pass this info on to your friends. If you did, you would know we are allowed to because we are parents, we can use our son's ID and we are considered "family". Also DH is a service connected disabled US Army veteran and we have 3 sons in the USMC (since 1997). We have been booking cruises with them for over 4 years and all they require is a copy of the ID. No where did I say I "flashed it" to get a discount. I was sharing this information because I am sure there are many on this website who would also qualify and we find the discount rates to better than the cruiselines can offer sometimes.

Copied from Interliner's website:

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify. Anyone sharing a cabin also receives the discounted rate.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,931
Default

"you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money"

Not sure what PX or Commissary you go to or where you heard that but here in California I can always buy anything with my money, credit card, check book, etc as long as one of my sons show their ID. The lines are very long especially on Family Days with everyone's family members shopping. I don't ever expect to get a discount using my 3 son's hard earned positions in the military, they love sharing the experience with their family. Thank your husband for serving. Semper Fi!
__________________
CU@C,
Teresa and Larry


#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Ones I go to? Ive been in NEX, AAFES, PX, and Commissaries all across this planet. Next time you are in one of those stores, find someone in charge and ask them if you are supposed to do that. You are not. Your son(s) should know. Ive been a part of the military literally my entire life, and even back when I was but a mere Air Force brat, that rule was in place. Those stores are not for you to shop in, but for actual military members and their dependants. In case you are unaware, dependants are those people listed in DEERS,as associated with the active duty,reserve member, or retiree. Basically, if you do not carry an ID card, you are not supposed to make purchases in stores aboard military bases, and that includes filling up your tank at the gas stations there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
"you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money"

Not sure what PX or Commissary you go to or where you heard that but here in California I can always buy anything with my money, credit card, check book, etc as long as one of my sons show their ID. The lines are very long especially on Family Days with everyone's family members shopping. I don't ever expect to get a discount using my 3 son's hard earned positions in the military, they love sharing the experience with their family. Thank your husband for serving. Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWife99
Ones I go to? Ive been in NEX, AAFES, PX, and Commissaries all across this planet. Next time you are in one of those stores, find someone in charge and ask them if you are supposed to do that. You are not. Your son(s) should know. Ive been a part of the military literally my entire life, and even back when I was but a mere Air Force brat, that rule was in place. Those stores are not for you to shop in, but for actual military members and their dependants. In case you are unaware, dependants are those people listed in DEERS,as associated with the active duty,reserve member, or retiree. Basically, if you do not carry an ID card, you are not supposed to make purchases in stores aboard military bases, and that includes filling up your tank at the gas stations there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
"you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money"

Not sure what PX or Commissary you go to or where you heard that but here in California I can always buy anything with my money, credit card, check book, etc as long as one of my sons show their ID. The lines are very long especially on Family Days with everyone's family members shopping. I don't ever expect to get a discount using my 3 son's hard earned positions in the military, they love sharing the experience with their family. Thank your husband for serving. Semper Fi!
I must agree with USMCwife, The NEX or PX on base stores are meant for Active,Reserve and Retired Military and their dependents, not for parents,siblings, or friends, the Military stores offer discounted merchandise and a tax free status, again meant for those who are or have served in the Military.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cruise, discount, military, someones

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Military discount Fredr22r Celebrity 3 April 6th, 2009 10:31 PM
Military discount..... turkeyman Carnival Cruise Lines 19 May 22nd, 2008 11:57 PM
Military Discount Cosmo Cruiser Carnival Cruise Lines 6 May 10th, 2005 08:06 PM
Military Discount Ashkins Carnival Cruise Lines 2 December 30th, 2003 01:03 PM
Military Discount DecBride Carnival Cruise Lines 3 September 24th, 2002 06:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1