Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Beginner

Default Military discount

Has anyone ever used the Military discount from NCL? I am planning a cruise on the NCL Star on November 15th, 2008
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Default Military discount

I forgot to say that this discount applys to retired and active duty Military, hope it helps others.
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Admiral

I am not sure if they have their November discounts posted yet but you can also try Interliner.com. Families who have members in the military can use it whether reserve, active or retired. We use one of our sons IDs and get great rates.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
I am not sure if they have their November discounts posted yet but you can also try Interliner.com. Families who have members in the military can use it whether reserve, active or retired. We use one of our sons IDs and get great rates.
You are not supposed to do that, just so you know. When they talk about "families" they mean dependants, ie wives/husbands, or children. Im not sure how you used your sons "ID" tho....you mean you took it somewhere, and flashed it to get a discount? Not sure how you could use someones military ID, online....
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Admiral

USMCWife99,
Did you go to the Interliner website and see who qualifies to book? If not, check it out and pass this info on to your friends. If you did, you would know we are allowed to because we are parents, we can use our son's ID and we are considered "family". Also DH is a service connected disabled US Army veteran and we have 3 sons in the USMC (since 1997). We have been booking cruises with them for over 4 years and all they require is a copy of the ID. No where did I say I "flashed it" to get a discount. I was sharing this information because I am sure there are many on this website who would also qualify and we find the discount rates to better than the cruiselines can offer sometimes.

Copied from Interliner's website:

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify. Anyone sharing a cabin also receives the discounted rate.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old May 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Beginner

I Didnt SAY you flashed it, I ASKED if thats what you meant.
Its just like going to the PX or the Commissary with a service member- you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money. My inlaws wouldnt expect to get a discount using my husbands hard earned position in the military...noone should be able to do that. You will disagree, as will many others I AM SURE, but this is how I feel.
PS My husband has been in since 1997 too....just thought youd like to know

Quote:
USMCWife99,
Did you go to the Interliner website and see who qualifies to book? If not, check it out and pass this info on to your friends. If you did, you would know we are allowed to because we are parents, we can use our son's ID and we are considered "family". Also DH is a service connected disabled US Army veteran and we have 3 sons in the USMC (since 1997). We have been booking cruises with them for over 4 years and all they require is a copy of the ID. No where did I say I "flashed it" to get a discount. I was sharing this information because I am sure there are many on this website who would also qualify and we find the discount rates to better than the cruiselines can offer sometimes.

Copied from Interliner's website:

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify. Anyone sharing a cabin also receives the discounted rate.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

"you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money"

Not sure what PX or Commissary you go to or where you heard that but here in California I can always buy anything with my money, credit card, check book, etc as long as one of my sons show their ID. The lines are very long especially on Family Days with everyone's family members shopping. I don't ever expect to get a discount using my 3 son's hard earned positions in the military, they love sharing the experience with their family. Thank your husband for serving. Semper Fi!

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old May 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Ones I go to? Ive been in NEX, AAFES, PX, and Commissaries all across this planet. Next time you are in one of those stores, find someone in charge and ask them if you are supposed to do that. You are not. Your son(s) should know. Ive been a part of the military literally my entire life, and even back when I was but a mere Air Force brat, that rule was in place. Those stores are not for you to shop in, but for actual military members and their dependants. In case you are unaware, dependants are those people listed in DEERS,as associated with the active duty,reserve member, or retiree. Basically, if you do not carry an ID card, you are not supposed to make purchases in stores aboard military bases, and that includes filling up your tank at the gas stations there.

Quote:
"you cant buy anything even if they are with you. And technically they arent supposed to buy anything FOR you, with YOUR money"

Not sure what PX or Commissary you go to or where you heard that but here in California I can always buy anything with my money, credit card, check book, etc as long as one of my sons show their ID. The lines are very long especially on Family Days with everyone's family members shopping. I don't ever expect to get a discount using my 3 son's hard earned positions in the military, they love sharing the experience with their family. Thank your husband for serving. Semper Fi!
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWife99
Ones I go to? Ive been in NEX, AAFES, PX, and Commissaries all across this planet. Next time you are in one of those stores, find someone in charge and ask them if you are supposed to do that. You are not. Your son(s) should know. Ive been a part of the military literally my entire life, and even back when I was but a mere Air Force brat, that rule was in place. Those stores are not for you to shop in, but for actual military members and their dependants. In case you are unaware, dependants are those people listed in DEERS,as associated with the active duty,reserve member, or retiree. Basically, if you do not carry an ID card, you are not supposed to make purchases in stores aboard military bases, and that includes filling up your tank at the gas stations there.

Quote:

I must agree with USMCwife, The NEX or PX on base stores are meant for Active,Reserve and Retired Military and their dependents, not for parents,siblings, or friends, the Military stores offer discounted merchandise and a tax free status, again meant for those who are or have served in the Military.