Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Gee, wonder what really happened, remember her sister and mom say she was very intelligent, a nurse and when they talked to her, earlier she was completely sober. we know they were not just speculating, they know she wouldn't do anything stupid....Sorry can't resist. I am so tired of so many thinking everything is someone else's fault.....
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Wow interesting reading. However I do cut the mother and sister some slack. I mean its their daughter/sister that just died, it would only be natural that they wouldnt think their daughter did something so foolish, we are human beings after all, I feel nothing but sadness for this family and the sad way life was ended and especially when the are given the info on how senseless it all was.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Indeed! At least she's out of the gene pool.
That sounds a little harsh?
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Now that the FBI investigation has shown no foul play, it souds about right.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Now that the FBI investigation has shown no foul play, it souds about right.
I guess I am to much of a emotional person, I personal would never see a benifit of a loss of life, let alone one benifit being some one no longer in the gene pool, even a loss of life because of something done stupid, loss of life is loss of life, and many family members, loved ones must have a great deal of pain at this time.

I KNOW NO ONE in life who has never done something silly, stupid, irresponsable to some degree or another , others in more ways than average, but I can never see that benifit that "At least she's out of the gene pool.". That's just my humble opinion.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Admiral

I think it's a tragedy when anyone dies but even more of a tragedy when they die doing something so silly.
Taking a shortcut from one balcony to the next on the outside of the ship can only be called silly, no matter how you slice it.
I feel for the family that's left to grieve as I'm sure that they too must feel it was so senseless.
You just simply cannot protect people from themselves in all situations.
My views on something like this may sound harsh but so be it--- it someone is so mindless as to climb about on a ships balcony, then it's better that they go and take no one with them than to later maybe do something stupid and get some innocent person or persons killed.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Admiral

If one reads the many reports, you will see that many people have tried this. Its silly, and stupid, but some one doing something like this does not mean the person is a risk to society in general. We all do things at one time or another in our life that we cringe at the thought of and think "Oh I wish I had not done that". To many differant degrees, but we are all guilty of this. From all accounts this is a responsable women who did alot of good in her life, I am sorry, I simply cannot be pleased that she is removed from the gene pool or that she is gone now to prevent hurting some one else in the future. That makes no sense to me, some of the most helpful, giving respected persons in the world have made some really dumb decisions/ mistakes in their life, doesnt mean we are better off with out them. That is also better left to people who actually knew her, to say whether or not the world is a better place with out the person in question, not us on a board who know nothing of her real life.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
Wow interesting reading. However I do cut the mother and sister some slack. I mean its their daughter/sister that just died, it would only be natural that they wouldnt think their daughter did something so foolish, we are human beings after all, I feel nothing but sadness for this family and the sad way life was ended and especially when the are given the info on how senseless it all was.
And I completely agree with you. My smart a** remarks were simply made because according to the TV report last weekend even after the FBI was brought in they still wouldn't beleive the reports. It is a horrible accident and one that didn't need to happen. My heart goes out to everyone especially her 2 teen age children.

Nita
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Delfthuis,
Lighten up for heavens sake! It's a joke. -- partly. Because of the gross stupidity of this person, and a few other nitwits like her they will probably wind up putting nets over our balconies thereby greatly degrading our cruising experience -- assuming that all of us are are as moronic as she was. This was no 'accident.' This was an act of wilful idiocy that we will all pay for in more ways than one.

Of course I feel badly for her grieving family and friends, but I feel no more sympathy for her that I do for any of the other morons who win the Darwin award each year.

To check out other mental giants who have won the coveted Darwin award for year back by removing themselves from the gene pool check out:

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2008.html

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM
First Mate

Lets face reality folks. There's only one way out of this trip we call life! Every one of is going to die. Some of us will attempt senseless acts, some will die by accident, some by heart attacks or cancer and a few will die of old age. The fact remains we will all die, like it or not. Enjoy life while we have it cruise, travel or sit at home but live life like today is your last . But for heavens sake just because some people, a very few to be exact, go overboard and die,lets not try and save them by nets or glass walls allow them to go. Their friends and relatives will grieve and life, WILL GO ON. Thousands die each year in auto accidents but we still make cars.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Admiral

What You mean I'm not going to get through life alive What a downer

Polynesia, Carib. '86