Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Default Kosher cruising - Just say No to Norwegian

Kosher Cruisers: Just say No to Norwegian Cruise Lines

On a recent NCL Hawaii cruise we were severely discriminated against with respect to meals because we observe kosher dietary laws. NCL promised us meals from a reliable caterer very well known for high quality provisions but instead gave us inedible food from a different source unknown to us and with only indirect kosher certification. They also did not seem to understand what kosher really means because they apparently regularly provide only a kosher main course with no appetizer, bread or dessert.

In order to try to prevent this sort of thing from happening to others we have defined a set of “Guidelines for Kosher Cruising”.
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kosher cruising - Just say No to Norwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogoway
Kosher Cruisers: Just say No to Norwegian Cruise Lines

On a recent NCL Hawaii cruise we were severely discriminated against with respect to meals because we observe kosher dietary laws. NCL promised us meals from a reliable caterer very well known for high quality provisions but instead gave us inedible food from a different source unknown to us and with only indirect kosher certification. They also did not seem to understand what kosher really means because they apparently regularly provide only a kosher main course with no appetizer, bread or dessert.

In order to try to prevent this sort of thing from happening to others we have defined a set of “Guidelines for Kosher Cruising”.
My understanding as a travel agent is NCL as well as other lines do their best to provide Kosher foods for those who do observed Kosher diets, but it isn't quite as easy as you may thing considering the small number of people requestion such a diet. There was a time and not that many years ago when I was a relatively new agent that almost no lines offered Kosher foods. Respect for people religion and needs is very important to cruise lines, hotels and others as well, but there does come a time when the choices may not be to everyone's liking. If you have found another line that better suits your dietary needs I suggest you stick with them. I know it must have been a disappointment to you not to get exactly what you had hoped for or expected. I do have some good friends who observe pretty much a kosher diet who have sailed NCL about 10 times, never having a problem. I have other Jewish friends who probably are not quite as strict with their diet who also find no problem with NCL.

Nita
Nita
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Yeoman

If a cruise company, or any restaurant, can´t offer a special diet is no problem, as long as people know it so that they can choose another cruise company or restaurant if the diet is important.

The problem is if NCL promised to serve meals from a reliable caterer and don´t do it. Noone shall promise anything they can´t deliver.
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Familiar Face

Hi rogoway~

Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be rude or to insult you. I completely understand why you are frustrated as my husband & I keep a strictly kosher home & we only dine in OU certified kosher restaurants.

We recently went on a Norwegian cruise with some family members & friends that are not as observant as we are (it was an important occasion & we didn't want to miss it). We did the best we could in regards to eating. ALL of the restaurants on the ship were more than willing to prepare our meals as requested, leaving off pork items, meat/dairy combined items, shellfish etc... whenever we asked (I realize that this does not make the food "kosher" but like I said, we did the best we could, under the circumstances). We did not request kosher food when we booked our cruise because like you said, "Norwegian did not seem to understand what kosher really means because they apparently regularly provide only a kosher main course with no appetizer, bread or dessert". Also, we felt that there was no guarantee that the so-called "kosher" food wouldn't come in contact w/trayf.

As frustrating as the situation was for you, I don't feel you were "severely discriminated against" by Norwegian cruise lines. Obviously, there was a misunderstanding when it came to your meals & that's unfortunate, although I've never seen any laws of kashrut stating that you have to have an appetizer, bread & dessert with your meal. Even if they were able to provide "kosher" food, chances are it would've been stored with all of the other "non-kosher" food.

There are several cruise lines that offer 100% kosher cruises. My suggestion to you is that you try one of those so there will be no question if whether or not the food you are eating is kosher. There are also several Rabbi's that are on the cruise to make sure everything is, well, "kosher!". We cannot expect Norwegian cruise lines to be experts in the laws of kashrut, considering 99% of their customers probably don't keep kosher. That's just not fair.
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Beginner

norway does not have kosher meat.
But they have halal
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Beginner

After sailing on NCL 6 times, I have found NCL to be far superior to RCCL, Disney and Princess as far as understanding the needs of glatt kosher cruisers!!! I just got off of Princess and they served Weberman as well as NCL,RccL and Disney anf they slipped in a cheap substitute, which can be bought in Shoprite! NCL has always fussed over us and we stick to the Weberman meals and their variety is always better as my husband loves salmon and Princess and RCCL didn't even have 1 selection. QWe pplan to sail this Oct/08 to Bermuda and it was a no-brainer NCL!!!
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroth
After sailing on NCL 6 times, I have found NCL to be far superior to RCCL, Disney and Princess as far as understanding the needs of glatt kosher cruisers!!! I just got off of Princess and they served Weberman as well as NCL,RccL and Disney anf they slipped in a cheap substitute, which can be bought in Shoprite! NCL has always fussed over us and we stick to the Weberman meals and their variety is always better as my husband loves salmon and Princess and RCCL didn't even have 1 selection. QWe pplan to sail this Oct/08 to Bermuda and it was a no-brainer NCL!!!
I wish the original poster could see this, but I imagine he is long gone. He personally emailed me way back and asked why I didn't understand his needs? I really wasn't quite sure what he meant.
I do realize people with special dietary needs want to feel they too are paying customers, but I also realize, it is hard for cruise lines, hotels, etc to be everything to everybody. They do their best.
Nita
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Beginner

I hope someone will benefit from our experience!!!!
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Passenger

Ever thought of cruising with an Israelie cruise line? Some people just have to be different. How many menues does the cruise line have to have to please everyone?
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Beginner

LUCKILY ncl DOES IT BETTER!!!!