CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   How should we get from Port Canaveral to Universal Studios? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/351742-how-should-we-get-port-canaveral-universal-studios.html)

bhf108 May 29th, 2008 05:38 PM

How should we get from Port Canaveral to Universal Studios?

I'm a family of 6 that will be on a NCL Spirit cruise making a stop at Port Canaveral. We don't want to pay the exorbitant prices NCL is charging for a shore excursion to Universal Studios. Is ground transportation (taxi, shuttle, van) convenient when we get off the ship? How much would it cost for transportation from Port Canaveral to Universal Studios - which I hear is 1 hour each way.

Thank you!

towney May 30th, 2008 07:31 AM

How'bout renting a car? Hertz, Avis,Budget and Thrifty are all right outside of the port. Reserve with one of them and they will shuttle you both ways from the ship. Budget seems to be the closest with the better rates @ around $36 per day. Try a rental car search in Orbitz.com using Port Canaveral as the city. Good luck.

nmnita May 30th, 2008 08:17 AM

The car rental is a great idea, probably the cheapest and you will be free to do what you want. The drive from the Cape to Universal is about a hour and a half so plan wisely. I agree about the pricing, I have rarely seen excursions offered by any cruise line nearly as inexpensive as those offered privately. We do book thru the ship once in awhile; did the Whale Watching from the ship on Princess a few months ago, it was a good deal. We also book via the ship if time might become a factor.

Nita :idea:

CA Cruiser May 30th, 2008 08:37 AM

bhf,
What day of the week and how long are you in port would help in the advice you get. US is at least an hour drive each way depending on traffic and time of day. Remember, if you run into problems, traffic/flat tire, etc, the ship won't wait when you do things on your own. Have fun planning.

bhf108 May 30th, 2008 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help!

I'll be in Cape Canaveral on Tues 8/19, and will only be in port from 12pm - 10pm. I've heard it takes about 1 hour each way to Universal. So, if NCL arrives in Port Canaveral on schedule, I'm thinking we'll be off the ship by 1pm? Renting a car like you've all suggested and driving there would be another 1hr 30mins. So we might be in Universal Studios at 2:30? Should we factor in some more traffic time? I don't know how crazy Floridian traffic is in mid-August in the afternoon.

On our way back to Port Canaveral, I'm thinking of leaving the themepark at 7:30pm. That'll give us 1hr 30min to get back to our ship at 9pm, and we'll be sailing again at 10pm.

Please let me know if this is a realistic scenario. Can I tweak some more time out of Universal? Thank you!

nmnita May 30th, 2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhf108
Thanks for the help!

I'll be in Cape Canaveral on Tues 8/19, and will only be in port from 12pm - 10pm. I've heard it takes about 1 hour each way to Universal. So, if NCL arrives in Port Canaveral on schedule, I'm thinking we'll be off the ship by 1pm? Renting a car like you've all suggested and driving there would be another 1hr 30mins. So we might be in Universal Studios at 2:30? Should we factor in some more traffic time? I don't know how crazy Floridian traffic is in mid-August in the afternoon.

On our way back to Port Canaveral, I'm thinking of leaving the themepark at 7:30pm. That'll give us 1hr 30min to get back to our ship at 9pm, and we'll be sailing again at 10pm.

Please let me know if this is a realistic scenario. Can I tweak some more time out of Universal? Thank you!

I would allow an extra 1/2 hour for your return. Remember accidents can snarl traffic, Florida traffic can be heavy and you will need to return the rental car.

I understand where you are coming from but I am not sure I would risk it.

Nita

judy523 June 27th, 2008 07:20 AM

Definatly give yourself two hours from park to boarding the ship. The traffic is usually not bad on rt 520 which is the road your will be on the longest, but it can take you awhile to get back to your car from the park, and the rental company will also take a little time. Bear in mind the parks are jammed that time of year. It seems that you will only have about 4 hours total at the park and the lines can be 90 minutes long for each ride or more. Another thought would be Kennedy Space center which is closer and awesome.

Paul Motter June 27th, 2008 11:25 AM

Van rentals are also very reasonable - especially with four to six people.

Here is an article on this subject:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...tcanavaral.cfm