Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Default Can we bring wine onboard the Jewel?

I have read that NCL does not allow wine or alcohol to be brought on board even if it is packed in your suitcases? We have cruised on RC and they will not touch it if was packed in our sutcases. I would appreciate any comments/tips/suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Familiar Face

HI~

My husband & I recently sailed on the Pearl & we brought wine onboard with us in our luggage. I wrapped it in bubble-wrap, then vacuum-sealed it in a plastic bag w/my food sealer so it wouldn't leak if it broke.

I wasn't sure if we were allowed to or not, as we have brought wine on other cruise ships with no problem. I figured that if they searched our luggage & took it, then so be it!!!

The only information I found regarding Norwegian's policy is as follows:

NOTE: If you purchase alcohol while on board or ashore, we will store it in a secure area and deliver it to your stateroom at the conclusion of your cruise.

Of course, you can always call NCL directly, just to be sure
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Thanks, did they allow your wine (1or 2 bottles in each suitcase?) or were your suitcases delivered with your wine intact to your room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pita
HI~

My husband & I recently sailed on the Pearl & we brought wine onboard with us in our luggage. I wrapped it in bubble-wrap, then vacuum-sealed it in a plastic bag w/my food sealer so it wouldn't leak if it broke.

I wasn't sure if we were allowed to or not, as we have brought wine on other cruise ships with no problem. I figured that if they searched our luggage & took it, then so be it!!!

The only information I found regarding Norwegian's policy is as follows:

NOTE: If you purchase alcohol while on board or ashore, we will store it in a secure area and deliver it to your stateroom at the conclusion of your cruise.

Of course, you can always call NCL directly, just to be sure
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Familiar Face

Our two bottles of wine were still intact in my husband's suitcase once our luggage got to our stateroom (I didn't want to chance it breaking all over MY clothes!!!).

Like I said in my previous post, I wrapped each bottle in bubble-wrap, then vacuum-sealed it in a plastic bag w/my food sealer. I even wrote on the outside of the bag w/a permanent marker stating what the contents were, in case anyone cared! My husband planned on just throwing the bottles in w/his stuff; maybe I was a bit extreme in "packing" the wine; he would have felt differently had they broken in transit!

P.S. After all of my neurotic efforts to pack it, we didn't even drink it!
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Thanks, that is what we did on our RC cruise, wrapped them in bubble wrap and put in zip lock bags and had no problems. From what I have read NCL seems to be more picky, perhaps it is just hard liquor.
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Passenger

I had the impression that cruise lines were very unrelenting when it came to bringing liquor onboard. Them and the whole "naughty room" business.
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
First Mate

NCL much tougher than the others and last year on Majesty they had numerous people standing in line at the "naughty room"It would appear they are very interested in their return at the various bars where they enjoy a hefty price for all drinks.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our cruise on the Dream 2 weeks ago they were confiscating luggage that had liquor in it and calling people to the naughty room to claim it, and told them they would get it back at the end of the cruise.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Yeoman

I don´t mind if some people bring their own alcohol but if too many does it, the cruiseprices will go up.

The prices on drinks in Sweden are so high so I don´t think that the prices on the ships are very high, it´s much cheaper to buy a drink at a cruiseship than in a bar in Sweden.

Of course I don´t like to pay more than I have to for drinks but I´m on vacation and it´s better to be served a drink then to make it myself so I see no reason to smuggle alcohol onto the ship!
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Guess you could say that our dollar not holding up very well against your currency.What is really wrong with having a drink in your room or glass of wine while getting ready for dinner which will still include cocktails in the lounges prior to dinner?
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yeoman

Nothing is really wrong with having a drink in the cabin but I prefer to be served a drink instead of making it myself.

As I said, I don´t mind if some bring their own alcohol but if too many do it the cruiseprices will definitely raise.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

Maybe I should clarify why my husband & I brought our own wine on the cruise...

We are Jewish & we needed Kosher wine to use for Shabbat/Kiddush on Friday night, Kiddush Saturday afternoon & Havdalah at sundown on Saturday (cruise lines typically don't offer Kosher wine; if they did, we would have no problem purchasing it).

We didn't need to use our wine because (without our asking), Norwegian (Pearl) was kind enough to provide us, along w/other passengers not only the use of their chapel, but Kosher wine as well!!! No other cruise line that we have sailed with has done that without being asked (they would say OK but then forget).

It was a much appreciated & very unexpected jesture! It was really nice because several passengers showed up at the chapel; some were Jewish & others were not, which was fine by me! Everyone is welcome. Norwegian had listed it under activities for the day.

I'm so glad my days of "smuggling" wine in my luggage are over
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that NCL is pickier than the other cruise lines and they may or may not send you to their "naughty room" for a bottle of wine. We enjoy a glass in the cabin and I find it annoying that they would take wine away. We also have a hard time paying $30+ for a bottle of wine. I am sure they make a lot of money off all the drinks in the numerous bars and restaurants and a few bottles of wine brought onboard are not going to cut into it!
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Yeoman

I agree, a few bottles of wine brought onboard can´t be a problem for NCL.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the tips, it seems like a crap shoot if they take wine away