Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Julesa1
Default Alaskan cruise on Norwegian Sun 5/11/08

We took this cruise having cruised previously on the Norwegian Wind around the Hawaiian Islands back in '05. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the Norwegian Sun. The friends we travelled with were upgraded to a balcony suite while we had an outside porthole with restricted view...very disappointing. The food was below par and we had to eat at the extra charge restaurants to get something half decent. Our cabin was not cleaned or serviced adequately daily and we were forever ringing up for coffee mugs, coffee, toilet paper and drinking glasses. When we ordered room service we never received exactly what we had ordered. The majority of the staff looked bored and nobody stood out as having good customer service skills. Hardly any of the staff could speak english which made things very very difficult. The majority of customers on this ship were from the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia and NZ who all speak english. The standard of entertainment was very average and too bad if you wanted to listen to a band after 10pm!! Shore excursions were over priced. I could go on and on but the only saving grace was being able to see wonderful Alaska. I will go again on day.....but it will definitely NOT be with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I have tried to contact NCL on numerous occasions with my concerns but have had no reply and I doubt very much that I am going to get one!!

Cheers
Jules
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Familiar Face

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad time. My husband & I cruised on the Pearl to Alaska in May & we had a fantastic time. The entire staff was courteous, the food was good (we did eat all dinners in the specialty restaurants) & after pricing excursions w/independent companies in each port before we sailed, we actually found that Norwegian's prices were either the same or lower. It's strange that your entertainment ended at 10:00 PM; it went on way later than that on the Pearl.

It's a bummer that your friends were upgraded & you weren't but as you're probably aware, there's no guarantee that staterooms get upgraded. I understand why you are upset BUT you would have probably felt differently had YOU been upgraded instead of your friends (at least you had a window, we had an INSIDE cabin for the first time ever & it was NOT by choice!).

Give Norwegian some time to address your concerns, I'm sure they will get back to you. They take customer comments very seriously.

Happy Cruising
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Beginner

Hi there, thanks for your comments and I'm glad that you had a great experience on the Norwegian Pearl. I understand what you are saying about the cabin upgrading policy but we went together and either way I think it is wrong of NCL to upgrade anyone, especially in the same party as it only causes bad feeling. I'm sure I will get over it! The entertainment did go on longer than 10pm but what was on offer wasn't our cup of tea unfortunately. We are in our low 50's and the majority of the cruise would have been 65+ I believe. I look forward to hearing back from NCL. Happy cruising
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Familiar Face

Try not to write Norwegian off just yet, they really do aim to please! I TOTALLY understand your frustration!!!

Maybe you should try the Pearl if you decide to do Alaska again! My husband & I are in our low-upper 40's (I'm the "low" one ) & there were a lot of cruisers close to our age.

I'm assuming you are a Latitudes member. Norwegian offers really good deals to Latitudes members; we booked another cruise for this coming September & we're taking our daughter & her friend. The price was extremely reasonable!!! Too bad they don't control the airfare
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Passenger

oh my I am very sorry to hear this. i am going on the same cruise in 3 weeks time with my family. We are so looking forward to it even my 6 year old son. We've been planning for this cruise.. we've cruised with rc before but never with ncl. hope it turns out to be all ok...hope hope hope
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Sun

We did a Thanksgiving Cruise to the Western Carribean last year. It was our first time with NCL. We had a fantastic time and thought the Sun was a beautiful ship. We had no complaints as everyone was extremely friendly, service was excellent, lots of options and things to do. We did exactly what we wanted to do and when.

The food was fantastic in the specialty restaurants, and was good even in the self serve/buffet restaurants.

I also booked excursions on my own and will do it again for our next cruise that I just booked on the Star for Alaska next May. I can't wait!!

Ili, there are a lot of activities for the kids and they keep them busy all day, so don't worry about it.

Julesa1, it doesn't sound like anything would have made you happy.

I think people just need to "chill out", go with the flow and enjoy the ride!
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Beginner

On the contrary michaelj44!! We have been on many cruises and until this one we were more than happy with everything that was on offer previously. Obviously we were unlucky this time. My husband and I are very easy going and for the most part were happy with the cruise but the differences between the Norwegian Wind and the Sun stood out to us. Glad to hear you enjoyed yours. It certainly won't put me off cruising. Next time I will listen to the advice of my travel agent and choose a different cruise line as she did try to convince us that there are better ships available now. To date we have still not heard a thing from NCL which is extremely disappointing.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tupgirl88
Default I like the newer ships

In my humble opinion...I like the newer ships..and the pearl gets really great feed back. The sun is older and smaller....I know i am probably going to upset the "smaller" ship fans...but...just my humble opinion.
FYI...always do your research on the ship and reviews before booking....not all cruises are the same...
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Jules,

It sounds like you were just ticked that your friends got upgraded and you didn't so blame NCL. This happens, like it or not. We have cruised the Sun twice and have clients who have cruised them more than that; hardly ever has anyone complained about an unfriendly crew. As for them not speaking our language, how many cruises have you really been on? I say this after over 20 cruises I have yet to find a crew that spoke good English, the majority are from the Phillipines, Romania, and the Caribbean. Of course English is not the primary language.

Yes, the Sun is a little smaller than the newer NCL ships and may not offer the amenities some would like, but she is one of the favorites among NCL cruisers.

It is true many mature passengers choose Alaska, but more families are opting for Alaska every year. For those who are about to cruise on any ship going to the region, be assured there will be many children now that school is out.

I would like to know what you expect from NCL? My guess is, you will not get any response. Now every line is suited to everyone, obviously you just wanted to rant. NCL can really not do much about your being so unhappy with the cruise. At least you did like Alaska.
Nita
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Nmnita, I do not expect to receive a reply from NCL, and yes, perhaps I was just having a rant at them as you say. Sorry, but our last cruise on the Norwegin Wind was far superior in all areas and in comparison the Sun fell short. It is the same company so I thought I should inform them of how we felt, as would anyone else who had experienced what we did. Yes probably minor issues but they did happen every day. I am sure some feedback is not a bad thing.

A lot of the crew on this cruise could hardly understand a word we said which was very frustrating and as a consequence we got the wrong drinks and the wrong food or something was missing from our order frequently. This was not such a problem on previous cruises for some reason.

The actual ship is very nice and it is more than likely that future cruises will be fine. I was just stating the issues we had on this particular cruise. I am over it now and looking forward to booking my next cruise. Definitely booking a balcony cabin next time!!
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Hey guess what? I received a reply from NCL! Apparently our booking was made under their "guarantee program" which is a discounted program and is a random assignment of staterooms the week of sailing (what a load of c..p). We were not made aware of this at the time of booking so next time we will definitely ensure that we know exactly what cabin type we will be receiving! At least they answered us
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Jules,

Did you book with NCL direct or a Travel Agent? Either way you should have been made aware of the situation. Booking under a guarantee works fine for some, as long as they know they are taking a gamble. I, for one often choose the guarantee route, because I am a gambler at heart; so far, we have never really been upgraded. Maybe a cat or 2 but still the basic same type of cabin.

I am glad NCL did answer you. You are right, booking exactly what you want is worth the extra few dollars. The only advantage of a guarantee is the hope of a really good upgrade, which does happen. I have had clients book guaranteed cabins and gotten upgraded to mini suites. most of the time this does not happen.

I hope you will consider NCL again, but if you choose not to, there are many other great cruise lines.

Good luck and thanks for getting back to the forum.

Nita