Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Default NCL Cabin Question

My wife and I haven't been on a cruise since we left NCLA as Utility Galleys in December of 07. Since then we've gotten the NCL credit card and are earning points toward our next cruise. We'd love to be be able to bring a few people with us this time. We've been checking out the cabin descriptions and maximum occupancy limits for room categories. Is it possible to fit and sleep 4 people in an inside cabin? how about an oceanview? The last time we cruised there were two beds in our room which my wife and I pushed together. There was a couch but we didnt have any need to see if it pulled out.

Has anyone done four people in a room other than a suite? What category did you book and what did your room have? More beds? Pull out couch? We're looking to do this as cheaply as possible...
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Beginner

I guess it would depend on how "friendly" your group is, if you get my drift. We did three to a balcony cabin on the NCL Sprit with no problems, my wife and I on the queen, and a friend on the sofabed. Two could have shared the sofabed, as long as they were not too large. We will be doing three in an "obstructed view" cabin on the NCL Pearl in Sept, don't know exactly how the cabin will be configured yet, but I am sure we will fit. We will assume (always dangerous) that two could share the second bunk in that cabin also. Privacy was pretty much out the door, we just didn't worry about it. By the time you reach our ages you have pretty much seen it all anyway. I don't see how they could put a cot or anything in the cabin, there would be no way to make those middle of the night porry runs...
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

Hi~

My husband & I recently cruised to Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl. It was just the two of us but our inside stateroom could sleep three if necessary. Personally, I felt really crowded w/the two of us; the stateroom was about 145 square feet. It had the type of beds that pushed together to make a queen size, then there was one twin bed attached to the wall, directly above the bed we were sleeping in (kind of like a bunk bed) that folded out if necessary. I would feel trapped if there was someone sleeping directly "above" me but that's just me. I'm assuming that if the inside stateroom accommodated four, there would be another fold-out bed on the other side of the wall.

I'm not sure which cruise/ship you are looking to book. We are booked on the NCL/Sky to the Bahamas this September. We are taking our daughter & her friend. We got a great deal through NCL.com & were able to book a balcony for my husband & I and an oceanview for the girls. There are some really good offers out there right now!!! If your travel dates are flexible, you could most likely find a great deal on a larger stateroom.

Happy Cruising!!!
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Passenger

We are getting ready to cruise (Dec '08) on the NCL Sun with 5 of us in an inside cabin, category I. Haven't done it yet, so I can't comment on how well we'll actually fit, and it's 2 adults/3 kids (11, 8 & 3 at sailing), but NCL *DOES* offer rooms that fit up to 5 in one room.

IF you look at ship layout plans on the website, the legend/key will tell you which accomodate that extra 3rd/4th/5th person.

I'm not at all positive on the room layout, I presume upper berths and/or fold-out couch.

Best of luck!
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Captain

It can be done and makes for some nice stories AFTER the trip. During the trip it can be a pain the stern if the trip is more than 3 days. Four beds =no problem but four people storing clothes and having to shower etc? PHEW!
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Can it be done? yes, would I do it? NO. Maybe if 2 of the guests were small children. I know. lots of people say they spend very little time in the cabins, but it still would be very tight and just using the bathroom could be quite a challenge.

Nita
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I can say without a doubt that I would not under any circumstances put four adults in an inside cabin on an NCL ship. The inside cabins are generally very tight. Occasionally you can find an odd shaped one that offers a bit more square footage if you really do your detective work. The mini suite on the Pearl would probably be the smallest cabin I would consider putting four adults in. We have booked insides for ourselves and our two children before and it was OK, but midle of the night potty runs, were like navigating an obstacle course. becsuse of the arrangement of the cot/sofabed. I really prefer the two lower/two upper arrangement, it allows more movement through the cabin when the beds are turned down. and is not quite as cumbersome an arrangement.
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I can say without a doubt that I would not under any circumstances put four adults in an inside cabin on an NCL ship. The inside cabins are generally very tight. Occasionally you can find an odd shaped one that offers a bit more square footage if you really do your detective work. The mini suite on the Pearl would probably be the smallest cabin I would consider putting four adults in. We have booked insides for ourselves and our two children before and it was OK, but midle of the night potty runs, were like navigating an obstacle course. becsuse of the arrangement of the cot/sofabed. I really prefer the two lower/two upper arrangement, it allows more movement through the cabin when the beds are turned down. and is not quite as cumbersome an arrangement.
What category cabin has two upper and two lower beds on NCL?
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Lum I am sorry I made a somewhat ambiguous statement there. Let me clarify,other cruise lines we have been on such as RCCL and Carnival generally offer much better, if not larger (for 4 people) inside cabin layouts with the two lower and two upper arrangement. We have not had the fortune to find this arrangement on the three NCL ships we have been on.

You will need to scour NCL's deck plans to see if they have anything like this. We've never had an inside on NCL with two uppers and two lowers, so I am not sure if they are even avalable on the ship you are interested in. We always found with only one upper we were stumbling over the fold out cot/sofa at night. since we travel with our kids it wasn't that big of a deal, but with four adults it would be a pain in the butt.
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Beginner

We just cruised on NCL Majesty. 4 of us stayed in an inside stateroom. 2 twin beds with 2 bunks that folded down out of the walls above the twin beds. The room seemed to be alittle bit wider than a standard inside stateroom but there was no couch or table. It only had a desk w/chair, double closets, long chest in between the twin beds, and the bathroom of course. I hope this helps.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
What category cabin has two upper and two lower beds on NCL?
As posted the Majesty has cabins like that even if they are the smallest cabins in the fleet. Some of the balcony cabins on the Jewel, pearl,Gem, Jade and sun offer the best value (space and cost). They have two lower beds, a sofa bed and a Pullman.

The Sun as some inside cabins that are huge and would work.

Normal inside and outside cabins on the new ships offer two lower, a trundle that pulls out from under one of them and a single pullman. Sort of a wall to wall bed.

Here is a Sun quad balcony

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

We have done it and we were just fine!! Are you guys easy going people who always see the glass half full? Then you will also be just fine!! Life is to short to worry about a bump here and there!
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
We have done it and we were just fine!! Are you guys easy going people who always see the glass half full? Then you will also be just fine!! Life is to short to worry about a bump here and there!
What category cabin were you booked in? Will all inside cabins have the pull down beds?