Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Yeoman

Default Transatlantic cruise on Norwegian Jewel

We will be on the Jewel on her transatlantic cruise in September and have a question about the ports. We normally mix walking around by ourself and taking shipexcursions and are wondering, which ports are the best for walking around by ourself and where shall we book excursions?

The ports are Lerwick (tendering), Reykjavik, St John´s and Halifax.

Any suggestions on what´s most worth seeing in each port?
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to cckeaglerock

amazing ports.
Iceland should be amazing and I'm sure they will offer you something to see or experience the geothermal hot springs.
When we were in Halifax (on our own car travel before gas was 4.69 a gallon) we went to Lunenberg. it is a world heritage site and an amazingly well preserved 18th century town. It looks like it's on a Fijord. also Peggy's cove is an experience worth recomending.
best
celeste
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transatlantic cruise on Norwegian Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
We will be on the Jewel on her transatlantic cruise in September and have a question about the ports. We normally mix walking around by ourself and taking shipexcursions and are wondering, which ports are the best for walking around by ourself and where shall we book excursions?

The ports are Lerwick (tendering), Reykjavik, St John´s and Halifax.

Any suggestions on what´s most worth seeing in each port?
We did a similar one on the Jewel the year she was new: 3 years ago; it was the best cruise we have done, and we have done a lot of them.

We didn't do St John's or Halifax, both sound great. In Reykjavik we walked into to town, with another couple we hired a taxi to show us around. I think we were with him a couple of hours, saw the entire area, loved his stories and would do the same again. Be prepared, it was a little pricey, but certainly cheaper than what others paid for their tours. Iceland is outrageously expensive. We didn't do any shopping, I guess, from what everyone said, we were smart.

Again, this is a great itinerary. Actually ours was Ireland(which was awesome) Iceland, Newfoundland (which we couldn't get into because of weather) and Rhode Island. I wasn't excited about Rhode Island, but ended up loving it with all the history etc.

Nita
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yeoman

Thank you Celeste and Nita.

In Reykjavik we will probably go to the Blue Lagoon. It might be a little too touristic but what I have heared, it´s not. We haven´t decided yet if we shall go on a shipexcursion or if we shall go by our own. The shipexcursion will cost close to $100 and if we go by our own it will be around $50 but since the whole trip will cost at least $6000 each, $50 extra doesn´t feel very much...

I have looked on a map of Reykjavik and think that the Jewel will dock so that buses to the Blue Lagoon will pass the centre of Reykjavik, will they let people go off the bus when passing the centre on the way back to the ship or will we have to go back to the centre after the buses stops by the ship?

I know that Iceland is very expensive but the Swedish currency is strong now so for us Iceland have become cheaper the last years. Do you know if they accept credit cards even for small purchases? Do we need to get any Icelandic kronor or will a credit card do?

Peggy´s cove is one of the alternatives we are thinking about for when we are in Halifax.

Anyone knows if the centre of St John´s is close to where the ship dock and is there anything to see there?
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thank you Celeste and Nita.

In Reykjavik we will probably go to the Blue Lagoon. It might be a little too touristic but what I have heared, it´s not. We haven´t decided yet if we shall go on a shipexcursion or if we shall go by our own. The shipexcursion will cost close to $100 and if we go by our own it will be around $50 but since the whole trip will cost at least $6000 each, $50 extra doesn´t feel very much...

I have looked on a map of Reykjavik and think that the Jewel will dock so that buses to the Blue Lagoon will pass the centre of Reykjavik, will they let people go off the bus when passing the centre on the way back to the ship or will we have to go back to the centre after the buses stops by the ship?

I know that Iceland is very expensive but the Swedish currency is strong now so for us Iceland have become cheaper the last years. Do you know if they accept credit cards even for small purchases? Do we need to get any Icelandic kronor or will a credit card do?

Peggy´s cove is one of the alternatives we are thinking about for when we are in Halifax.

Anyone knows if the centre of St John´s is close to where the ship dock and is there anything to see there?
Gee Erik, you could share some of your strong dollar with us!!!!!
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Yeoman

The dollar is cheap but some other things aren´t. For example, gas cost around $10 a gallon here. The weak dollar and your bad economy also make the Swedish stockmarket very weak.

Send me some cheap gas and I pay you with cheap dollars !
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The dollar is cheap but some other things aren´t. For example, gas cost around $10 a gallon here. The weak dollar and your bad economy also make the Swedish stockmarket very weak.

Send me some cheap gas and I pay you with cheap dollars !
Well let's just hope the economy improves so I can send you some cheap gas. We always think about our own problems, not realizing some of the ecomony weakness is world wide. I shall try not to be so selfish. Now, is it ok if I sorta am jealous that you get to take that wonderful crossing????
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeoman

It´s okej that you are jealous but haven´t you cruised enough already !
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It´s okej that you are jealous but haven´t you cruised enough already !
Has anyone in their right mind ever cruised enough? WEll, I take that back, those who do cruise 4 or more times a year: I think that is a bit much...For us, twice is great, I could go with 3 times.

This year it will be twice, once on Princess and this Nov we are doing the Spirit....

I just wish we were doing the Jewel, No Atlantic crossing again...

Nita
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Familiar Face

Eric,

I just filled up my car with gas. $4.23 a gallon. I thought that was an outrage, but I know it could be worse. Actually I think local gas prices depend on how much of a nations oil is produced within its own borders and how much it has to buy in the open world market.

Have a good cruise. My wife & I will be on the Jewel on October 28, 2008, about 5 weeks after yours, for the NY to Miami repo cruise. Hope you will post your experience with your cruise here when you get back home.

Charles
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Yeoman

Charles,

I will write a review and also make a photo galleri with lots of pictures of the ship.

One reason that we have so high gasprices in Sweden is the tax. They say that we shall pay high taxes on gas to save the environment, does anyone really believe that? Sweden is a small country and high taxes on gas here will not save the world! Those who like high taxes on gas (=politicians) can fly all they want for free so they don´t care if the gas is expensive!

I hope that you and your wife will have a great cruise.

Erik
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Although I moved away a long time ago I was born and raised near St John's. Still go back home quite often.

You will be very pleasantly surprised by St John's. It is the oldest city in North America and most certainly one of the most beautiful. The harbor is very small, your ship will probably dock close to Water Street where all the tourist stores can be found. Very unique and colorful buildings. George street is also very close (most bars per capital in the world). If you decide to take a tour you at least be taken to Signal Hill and Cape Spear.

You should have time for a tour and walk around.

St John's is a wonderful old city. Also, Newfoundlanders are know as extremely open and friendly. No aggressive people here like we find on many cruise stops.

You will love St John's. I've been on many cruises and haven't seen anything to match it yet (yes I know I am biased). Enjoy.....Jim.
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Yeoman

Thank you Jim.