Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Default Our nightmare on Norwegian Dream....

My husband and I could not be more disappointed in our decision to travel on NCL. This was our 5th cruise, but first with this cruise line. Our previous cruises were perfect in every way, and completely stress free. Traveling with NCL on the Dream was a nightmare from beginning to end. This was a 20th anniversary cruise for us, both of us are 40yrs. old. We were also traveling without our children for the first time, and looked forward to this for nearly a year. Never again will I travel with NCL...never.

We were dropped off at Black Falcon Terminal by limo. Right away we felt lost. There was no marked area for boarding passengers to wait. When we finally found a NCL employee she told us where to stand with our luggage and that they would begin boarding soon. Well soon stretched into and hour, and the boarding process began at the complete opposite end of the terminal from where we were standing. We shuffled our way into the herd of people and began another 45 minutes of take one step forward 2 steps back. When we finally got to the front of the line our luggage was taken by a porter and we were told to go back to where we had started and get into yet another line. People were herded into a hot building and told to fill out the health forms. From this line we were put into the check in line. This process was relatively fast. The next line was ridiculous. The NCL employees insisted on packing us like sardines to make room for everyone. We had our picture taken, off to security. This line is where all the security people did nothing but scream at the passengers. What a great first impression these people made for NCL!!

Once we finally got onto the ship it was nearly 2 and a half hours after being dropped off at the terminal. More surprises awaited us though. We were told to go to the Sports Bar because rooms would not be ready until after 1:00pm. This was crazy because the size of this tiny bar could NEVER hold the number of people being shoved in there. We picked at some food and left to wait out on deck.

Our room was finally ready around 1:30. We were on deck 4. Immediately the smell of sewage hit us. We got into our room and could still smell it. Boston was very hot that day, and our room was barely cool. We were exhausted, so we decided to lay down and wait for our luggage to come so we could shower and explore the ship. I went to use the bathroom and when I opened the door the smell nearly knocked me over. My husband stuck his head in and smelled it too. We were called to do the life boat drill and this was the most unorganized mess we've seen. Once again we stood shoulder to shoulder with people shoving and stepping on each others toes. No one could hear the staff giving instructions, they shouted out room numbers and not everyone could hear what they were saying so we stood outside in the blazing sun doing nothing.

Our luggage came around 6:00pm, and I hit the shower. When I tell you these showers are small, please believe it to be true. I've never seen such tiny showers in all my travels. My husband showered next and we went to dinner. Dinner was good, small portions but tasty none the less.

The smell of our room was worse when we got back after dinner. I asked our room attendant what it could be and she said it was b/c we were in port...ummm ok?!

Next day things got worse. The smell was incredible!! We called the reception desk and they sent in a parade of service people. They all said the same thing...nothing was wrong. I also had them look at the AC b/c our room was HOT, and again they said it was running just fine. We headed to dinner and because of how full the ship was we couldn't get a table in any of the dining rooms. We ate that the buffet, gross, and went back to our room. Our room attendant was in there and she wanted to know what happened in our shower. We peeked into the bathroom and our shower stall was full of sewage!!!! Not only was it in the shower, but it spilled over onto the floor. I called reception and they sent in their parade of experts again. They told us there was a problem "down the line" and it would be cleared up in a few hours. I told reception I wanted a new room, now. They informed me the ship was full and there was no where else to put us. My husband told them this was not acceptable, and to find somewhere to put us that wasn't a health risk. They refused to listen to him, I tried again to have us moved and the man I was talking to hung up the phone on me!! Their remedy was to send down a fan to clear the air in the room, and to cool it down. We began talking about getting to Bermuda and flying home because we knew this was not a healthy situation.

Tuesday we arrived in Bermuda and we packed all of our belongings. The smell in our room was revolting. We called reception again and demanded another room. They refused to do anything for us. We were gone all day on an excursion and came back to our warm...smelly room. We did however receive a bottle of wine from reception for the "problems" we had the day before. We returned the wine because neither of us drink. After dinner we got back to our room and talked more about leaving Bermuda to fly home, and finding a hotel to stay in that night. We felt trapped and didn't have any other options. With our fan turned on high we managed to cool off, but the smell could not be ignored. Around midnight we heard some bubbling sounds coming from the bathroom. I got up and saw the shower filling again with sewage. I lost my mind and my husband called reception and was not taking no for an answer. Suddenly there was a room available, a tiny closet with 2 cots in it. Great, here we are on an anniversary cruise...in tiny little twin cots!! This was not a great option but the room didn't smell, and it was nice and cool.

Next morning my husband went down to the reception desk and demanded a room equal to what we had paid for. We paid for a room with an unobstructed view, that's what we wanted, not a closet with twin cots. He came back with good news, a room on the 5th floor, 2 portholes....and it was CLEAN!!!! We could not have been happier. Half of our cruise was spent in a room that smelled worse than a public restroom, and everyday we asked to be moved. Everyday we were told there were no available rooms. Reception was nothing but rude to us, and insisted that there was nothing wrong with the room we were staying in. Once we were in our new room both of us relaxed, and never heard from the reception staff again.

This ship was filthy. Decks were littered with straws, beer bottles were stuck in corners and under deck chairs. Nothing ever looked clean, swept or polished. In fact, we never saw anyone cleaning up at all. The Sports Bar buffet was the only place we could get into for dinner b/c the dining rooms were packed and wait times could be hours. The food was terrible, the only exception was the pasta with meat sauce..yummy!! I lived on bread and butter, french toast and bacon. The caesar salad was good, as was the macaroni and cheese. Don't even try the ice tea....foul is the only description I can come up with.

Our room steward was wonderful, and the buffet attendants were very friendly as well. Our shore excursions were excellent too, and getting on and off the ship in Bermuda was a breeze. We met some very nice people on the ship too, many of them having the same problems with the dining rooms and cleanliness as we were. Another thing we noticed is the majority of people on this cruise were seniors. There were wheelchairs and walkers everywhere....making getting around the buffets even more difficult. I'm not complaining about the wheelchairs, it was difficult because there wasn't enough room for wheelchairs and walkers at the buffet. There should have been a better system so they could have had more room and been more comfortable dining.

The entertainment was geared for an older crowd as well. We did enjoy the trivia, but the shows at night were not very interesting. Unless you are an art collector you most likely will be bored on this ship during "at sea" days. Bring a few books to read, you'll need them.

My husband and I feel very cheated by NCL. Half of our anniversary cruise was unacceptable, and the people who could have fixed it just lied and lied to us. I would never travel with NCL again, and I will make sure all of my friends and family know how we were treated during our cruise. Next year's cruise will be on Princess or Royal because they know how to make your vacation extra special.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

Wow, sounds pretty awful. May I ask what time your limo arrived at the terminal?

Our documents say embarkation time is 12:00 when we cruise in August. If it was 2 1/2 hours from the time you got to the terminal until the time you got to the Sports Bar, and your room would not be ready until 1:00, I'd say you arrived at the terminal too early. Perhaps they were not finished unloading the arriving passengers. I've heard that some passengers are not getting off the ship until after 10:30.

Pretty bad about the smelly room issue. I've heard that mentioned before about this ship. I can only imagine how awful it was to try to enjoy yourself on your anniversary. We will be on deck 6, so hope none of this is an issue for us.

Did you do any of the ship's excursions, and which ones?

This is the first really bad review I've read of the Dream since their first week in Bermuda this season. Because this is the Dream's final season with NCL, I imagine they're not putting much effort into making her ship-shape. With that said, I don't have very high expectations for this cruise, and just plan to have the best time with what we have to work with, and enjoy Bermuda.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to hear your cruise was so bad. We were on the May 25th sailing and things were better than your cruise.
This ship is going out of service in October so I don't think they care much about taking care of problems that cost money. We knew this in advance so our expectations were low.
We noticed sewer odors in different areas but never had any problems in our cabin. We have have taken 17 cruises and this ship had the smallest showers we have ever seen.
Don't judge NCL by this one ship, their other newer ships I'm sure are much better.
Bob
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Sometimes when ships are about to be passed on to someone else, everything seems to suffer. I know you say you will never cruise NCL again, of course that is a decision only you can make. I am sure many would understand your feeling. I have had many clients even in the past few months that have been more than happy with the Dream, personally we have never experienced even seeing the ship.

I do hope, in time, you will re-consider as the new Ncl ships are as great as any at sea, better than many.

I am sorry you had such a miserable sailing experience.

Nita
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Default Ncl Dream Nightmare...

We arrived at the terminal around 11:15, knowing there would be a wait to check in and all that stuff. Rooms were to be ready by 1:00, but that wasn't the case for us. We didn't get to our rooms til almost 1:45.

Our time in Bermuda was beautiful. We have been there numerous times, and always fall in love with the island and the people. We booked 2 excursions. First the Turle Bay catamaran, FANTASTIC!!! My husband loves to snorkel, I do not so this was perfect for us. Our captain was a riot, the other 2 staff on the boat were very gracious and friendly. We learned alot of history on the way to the bay, as well as what kind of fish we would see. Once we got there there was a quick safety lecture and we were free to hop in the water and snorkel, swim or sit on the beach. My husband saw lot's of fish and a couple turtles and one of the men from the boat stayed with the snorkelers. On the return trip the captain turned off the engine and we sailed back to the ship...beautiful! Oh, and they served rum swizzlers (for free) on the way back. I hated for the excursion to end...it was like sailing with a stand up comedian! Our second excursion was canceled. My husband was going by himself to snorkel at a reef, don't remember what it was called. The reason it was canceled was not enough people signed up. The other days we explored on our own. We did a day of shopping in Hamilton...and the other day we did the crystal caves. The caves are beautiful but expensive. There was a flea market in town square one evening and it was fun too.

My reason for not wanting to cruise with NCL again is because of the way they dealt with us. Their customer service was terrible, and I still can not get someone on the phone to talk to about this cruise! All we wanted was to be treated fairly, and we were not. On one occasion they hung up on us, and another time they mocked us to the other people who were at the desk! Had they tried to find us a new room sooner, and tried to make things better I would have given them another chance, really. We aren't complainers, and we wanted nothing but to celebrate our anniversary in peace and quiet.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Your T/A can look after you with a letter and phone calls, I have done this several times before with other cruise lines aswell. Every time my customer has been reimbursed any were from 25% to 75% of the costs.
If they (your T/A) don't, I would be looking for a better agent!
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Beginner

I wish we had used a travel agent, big mistake on my part. We booked it online directly through NCL. I guess I'll go through the BBB, maybe they could help us.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Your T/A can look after you with a letter and phone calls, I have done this several times before with other cruise lines aswell. Every time my customer has been reimbursed any were from 25% to 75% of the costs.
If they (your T/A) don't, I would be looking for a better agent!
Sorry, but I must have missed something here. I do not see where any refund or even a letter of apology is necessary. It sounds, unless, I didn't read things corrected the OP simply didn't like the ship, was upset because they didn't get upgraded and has no real reason to expect anything. Sometimes there are reasons for OBC, refunds, discounts etc, I don't see it this time.

Nita
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default Question

To Nnmnita; if the OP is correct,you believe that sewage bubbling into your shower doesn't deserve some form of recognition from NCL . Get real .A different room , much further down the category doesn't cut it . The response doesn't have to be much, a sorry and maybe $50 would have went a long way to retaining 2 or many more customers.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Beginner

We were very happy with our first room, aside from the smell of sewage. We NEVER asked for an upgrade, only a room that was comparable to the room we paid for. Our first room move was to an inside room, next to some large noise making machine. It wasn't a room that was used for guests, it wasn't set up for a guests staying in it. There was no bedding, the cots weren't even set up. They removed stuff that was being stored in there for goodness sake! The shower in this room dribbled out. The good thing about this room was there was NO smell of crap in it. We weren't about to spend 4 more nights listening to generator noise, in a room w/o windows and a shower that barely worked. We asked for a room with a window, porthole, something that we could see outside. Maybe you misread my post, but I don't think I was asking to much to be put into a clean room with no odor. You are correct we weren't happy with the ship, would anyone be happy staying in these conditions? I didn't post this to argue with anyone. We were not being difficult passengers, we only wanted to salvage part of our hard earned vacation with a clean room.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbert
To Nnmnita; if the OP is correct,you believe that sewage bubbling into your shower doesn't deserve some form of recognition from NCL . Get real .A different room , much further down the category doesn't cut it . The response doesn't have to be much, a sorry and maybe $50 would have went a long way to retaining 2 or many more customers.
ok, you are correct, I do wish the OP had mentions when the cruised. I have just read 3 reviews (other sites) about recent Dream cruises, all were positive and no mention of sewage problems or bad service. In fact they were glowing even considering the older ship. I will say, if, indeed there was sewage problem something should have been done asap. As for a different cabin (not room) they ship can only offer what is available. If there was no other cabins what can anyone say.

Nita
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Sorry for saying ROOM instead of cabin...geeze! Our sailing date was June 8th out of Boston. CABIN number was 4241 and 5001, plus the tiny room w/o a number. We took pictures and video of all the problems, sewage can clearly be seen. Check out NCL's BBB rating, an F says alot about this cruise line. I'm not going to defend myself here, and I won't be made out to be a liar.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Default rude

I agree that I could find noone who cared about my safety on ncl.
I have made many phone calls and written many letters.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Beginner

You were injured during your cruise? It doesn't surprise me that they ignored you. I hope you are ok now....what happened?? I hope you eventually get them to listen to you
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Thank you for agreeing NCL should have listened to us. We did end up with a clean cabin, but what about the first 4 days of our 7 day cruise. We own our own business and we would pretty much do anything to keep our customers happy. Word of mouth is a company's best advertising, and if you have 2 unhappy customers they can spread the word pretty quick with in their circle of family and friends.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkrissi
Sorry for saying ROOM instead of cabin...geeze! Our sailing date was June 8th out of Boston. CABIN number was 4241 and 5001, plus the tiny room w/o a number. We took pictures and video of all the problems, sewage can clearly be seen. Check out NCL's BBB rating, an F says alot about this cruise line. I'm not going to defend myself here, and I won't be made out to be a liar.
I am sorry if you got the impression I was calling you a liar. I certainly didn't mean to imply you were not telling the truth as you saw it and yes, no one should live with a sewage smell. I still say, as long as you were re-located to a satisfactory cabin nothig more should or will be done. Would it be nice to give you a future credit, yes and this is one thing NCL is not always good with. BTW, read other threads from others cruising different lines, it seem lack of customer service is the name of the game today. I did ask what date you sailed because of the other reviews.

It is my job to read as many views on ships as I can to try and keep informed. Yes, all those I referred to were on the same sailing. In fact more were totally impressed with Dream implementing 2.0 to some degree even though the ship is leaving the fleet. They were all excited about the robes in the cabins, champange upon arrival, smiling crew members and fresh fruit daily plus the cookies at night.

Each person experiences something different from everything in life, this was obviously not a good experience for you. Again, I am only taking the opportunity to show another side of the same sailing, I never meant to call you a liar.

Nita
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

First of all I have to agree that Boston does not have the best setup for a cruise terminal, and if they intend to grow as a port, they need to change.

I cannot even imagine how horrible this situation was for you. Raw sewerage, should be a 5 alarm complaint. I was thinking, as I read it, that, I would have brought my pillow up to the Pursers area, and looked ofr a nice couch, to sleep on for the night:):)

It's sure odd, how that empty cabin showed up empty mid cruise. Had they moved you there, right from the get go, before the closet, things would have been so much nicer. The rudeness, and lack of customer service is very troubling, indeed.

Since, you booked with them directly, it will be interesting to see how they respond. If I were you, I would call channel 5 and speak to Susan Wornick, or channel 7, and, Hank Phillipi. Maybe Boston's tv, consumer reporters, can help. NCL, might br prompted the say, how sorry they are, with a segment about this. And, jmho, an onboard credit for your aggrivation, was justified, not a bottle of wine.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nita,
We sailed on May 25th and there was no 2.0. The ship is old and worn and it shows everywhere. The ship should never have been sent to Boston to replace the Majesty. They should tell people just what to expect and you need to get your info straight !!!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Years ago I saild a Royal Caribeean ship just prior to her being turned over to sail for a new company.

Unfortunately we faced the same sort of problems, mostly due to lack of maintenance. It shouldn't be that way, but the sad fact is that it's true on most of the cruise lines older ships.

Fact of the matter, in my case I never sailed any of NCL's older ships, because of issues I'd heard over the years. They often did draw good crowds mostly because NCL sold them SO CHEAP. Even at ridiculously low pricing I have to admit I was surprised people sailed on them.

I first sailed NCL when they introduced the new ships that were built specifically for "Freestyle". And I have to say I love their newer ships.

Another point.... SADLY all the cruise lines have horrid customer relations departments. Most take post cruise complaints much too cynically because there are too many past passengers making unfounded complaints to try and get discounts and upgrades. Often the legitimit complaints get caught in the shuffle.

As to a cabin "suddenly" becoming available.... that does happen. An entertainer may have occupied a cabin, and then left the ship, or someone may have had to disembark due to illness. It does happen, probably more often than we would think.

Knowing the ship was leaving the fleet, and even her prior reputation, I wouldn't have sailed the Dream. Hope you do find some satisfactory resolution to your complaint.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
Nita,
We sailed on May 25th and there was no 2.0. The ship is old and worn and it shows everywhere. The ship should never have been sent to Boston to replace the Majesty. They should tell people just what to expect and you need to get your info straight !!!
Read CC reveiws and NCL board comments. originally, apparently there was no intention of adding 2.0 to the Dream, but according to the reviews on the June 8th sailing, the above mentioned features had been added. This was indicated in more than one review. Of course not being on the ship I can't varify the features were part of the June 8th sailing, but can't imagine why so many would have pointed this out if it were not the case. As for the ship being old, yes, this is certainly true. We were on the Sea about 6 months before she was retired, old yes, tiny cabins that needed new decor? yes, but the ship was clean. heck, I am old and worn also, but I am still clean.

Nita

Nita
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Krissi, I toured the Majesty twice, before and after the stretch..the Boston to Bermuda run really seems to cater an older group, as was my observation on both my visits. The no flying factor was quite evident, even years back. There was quite a loyalty to this ship among Bostonians, and New Englanders. The ship was small for my taste but as clean as a whistle.

Last December, I was on the Gem from Boston, [in a snowstorn, no less.]

The staff, customer service was wonderful.. a new ship, of course, but this new class is well worthy of another try, if you can get past troublesome Dream issues.

I remember being in Miami once, when the Dream was christened, by Diana Ross, we looked at her from our ship....not "that" long ago, young to be transfered from the line, which appears to be the root of the problems......

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Beginner

Apparently I've been blasting away on our negative experience with NCL....I'll drop the subject completely now and not discuss it further. No, how bout I say NCL was GREAT....Food, awesome!! Oh, and that bothersome smell in the cabin was probably imagined too. I guess only good reviews are allowed here, sorry for telling the truth.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

I posted a review of our cruise on NCL's Pearl.
Fortunately, no crap backed up into our cabin but we had pretty much the same experience as you.
Too darn hot in the room, er, cabin. Only thing worth eating in the buffet was the pasta...the "Free Style" dining options pale to HAL's "As you wish dining". When we finally did get a table in Cagney's the portions were insultingly small.

I have to add that our boarding process in Miami was very smoooth...appears that a lot of your troubles may be attributed to Boston and not NCL.

We, too, will think twice about cruising with NCL again.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

I though you got many undertstanding posts..what did I miss????

Old June 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

capecodkrissi,
Only one person gave you a tough time and she does that to anyone who has a complaint with NCL.
You did the right thing posting your experience on the Dream. I agree that NCL owes you some type of compensation for the poor way you were treated.
Bob
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

How awful about your stateroom. You had every right to request another room that was equal or more to what you'd paid for. They should've honored that by day two. Period.

As for the condition of the ship/cleanliness, I'm sure that's not what ruined your anniversary cruise. It IS unfortunately one of those things you tend to notice if you are already unhappy! Sorry your cruise was a disappointment. I hope NCL will give you a partial refund or something. Definitely write to someone at NCL. Never know when you might get the right person on the right day that cares. Seems like many of the cruiselines in this same class have spotty customer service and a lot falls on deaf ears.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Admiral

No need to feel you cannot say how you feel. You have every right to say how you feel and even just to vent. Personally, I like NCL the best out of the lines we have gone, however, I to tend to stick to new ships only, and I would not go on an older ship.
I did once on Carnival Triumph and I really didnt like the tattered feeling, and since we had a sewage problem, I certainly know how that feels and I didnt like it.

Our first NCL cruise was lovely but for drunking college kids that the cruise line mishandled and did not know how to deal with, it made it unpleasent, but I persisted in my complaints ( of course it helped having several complaints on video ) and we did receive a very fair compensation. The other cruises on NCL after that were perfect. ( perfect meaning nothing is "perfect" but nothing bugged me enough to ask for compensation, they were things that I can live with)

You have every right to say how you personally feel and each indavidual can go to the same place with the same service and each can walk out with a differant opinion and you most certainly have the right to say what you felt!
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkrissi
Quote:
Thank you for agreeing NCL should have listened to us. We did end up with a clean cabin, but what about the first 4 days of our 7 day cruise. We own our own business and we would pretty much do anything to keep our customers happy. Word of mouth is a company's best advertising, and if you have 2 unhappy customers they can spread the word pretty quick with in their circle of family and friends.
We have sailed on the NCL Majesty the last 4 years and have enjoyed the whole experience. There have been glitches, rough seas, transferring from St. George to Hamilton, and leaving early on a Thursday due to high winds. All of these items we could deal with as it was beyond the control of NCL.
However, sewage is a health hazard and not to be treated lightly. I don't blame you a bit for your reaction. I would have also told the ship personel that this situation is unacceptable and dangerous.
I commend you for your flexibility in temporarily staying in your replacement room or cabin or closet etc. I don't think I would have been as understanding as you.
I would expect you to follow up with NCL and expect them to reimburse you for the days the cabin had the sewage problem. You have the pictures to back up this situation. I just think you need to talk to the right person at NCL and you will be treated fairly. Perhaps this is something that should also be posted on CC.
We loved the Majesty but this October we have to use the replacement ship the Dream out of Boston. Reading your review has made me a little nervous, especially as the final payment is due July 7.
I will say that we also did the weekend cruise on the NCL Gem and there is a world of difference between the two. Even though the seas were 20 feet, the Gem was very stable. The Majesty or the Dream would have been like a bucking bronco. The new ships are twice the size and much more stable. They are also new and designed with Freestyle in mind.
I only suggest you keep an open mind about NCL and consider a cruise on the newer, larger ships which compare favorably with the other cruise lines.