Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Default safety on criuse ship. who cares about me?

I was injured when the ncl Dawn rolled and a microphone hit in the mouth and chipped my front tooth. A dentist was in my group and he said it could be filled. I went to the front desk to see if an employee would fill out an incident report and they would not. I went to the medical dept and asked if they could fill out a incident report and they said only if I paid to see medical doctor and they did not have a dentist available. As soon as I got home my dentist saw me in an emergency viist and i filed a claim with the travel insurance sold by ncl anmd they refused to pay as they said it was not an emergency as evidenced by the fact i waited one day to egt it fixed. The policy stated that emergency treament must begin within 90 days of injury. I have appealed to the state agency. Howwever I am going on another cruise and I now wonder just how safe I am if noone seems to care what happens to be???what if i am attacked since there are no police on board.???
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Admiral

I would keep on NCL and write your state insurance commissioner about the insurance problem. If it was a weather related problem there may be a question about NCl's liability.

As to the what if -- what if someone attack you in your home tonight and there are no police there immediately? The media magnifies every incident involving a cruise ship. When was the last time you heard of such a thing? There is adequate security on most cruise ships. If you are that concerned and that insecure -- don't go.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Beginner

I am a retire police officer and my home is very secure. I just woder why they offer more assistance. Hotels have security.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
First Mate

There seems to be more than enough attacks on any negative review. What's with that? Are we dealing here with shareholders? We are all savvy enough to understand that this passenger was injured aboard the ship for which she has been denied compensation. Not discomfort compensation as many negative reviews refer to but physical and in this case dental work.

The posting is, if one cannot expect compensation from the line in the event of a mishap where the passenger is injured, what kind of security can there be. It may not have been explained that way but we all should understand just what is being said.

Advising the passenger to go to another line or not sail at all negates the point of this posting site. The question is: If we are injured aboard a vessel due to sailing conditions, can we expect to be medically treated or in this case compensated for corrective dental work that the ship could not supply.

We think we should.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for understanding.

I had bought insurance for the cruise.

I am only asking them to pay the 50 dollars that my dental insurance company did not cover.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Jewel in 2006. One of our friends broke her ankle when she feel on some stairs in the theater. She was well cared for with a wheel chair and crutches. When she returned home it followed with 2 surgeries. I personally tripped on a short flight of stairs, simply missed a step and ran my shin into the metal edged step with hot coffee in my hand, and it wasn't anytime at all that I had assistance from a gentleman in a white NCL suit, and a phone call to my cabin later that day to check on me. The staff on NCL greatly cares for their passengers.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I agree that the insurance should cover your claim and I am glad that you are escalating through the proper channels. I guess had you opted to go see the Doctor you would have been given the report required for your claim, but the insurance company would have to pay a much larger claim at that point. They may also have been trying to avoid liability. But never the less it is unfortunate.
Sometimes I wonder if a lot of these issues aren't due to language barriers and miscommunications. Or the fact that the crew get so accustomed to hearing complaints they no longer even really listen or offer assistance. Whe we had a room that had a lot of noise above us, and I complained that I could not sleep at night, and that I was frustrated that they didn't sell earplugs in the gift shops... well it wasn't until the third night I went down to discuss the problem someone actually told me they had a large stock of earplugs at the reception desk and that ended up saving the trip, but it took several visits and several days before it occurred to anyone that I really didnt want complain and whine, I wanted earplugs or someone to make the noise stop so I could sleep at night.

But regardless, I hope you prevail and your claim is covered.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Why is it when ever anything happens to someone....they expect someone else to take care of them?
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I don't think they are expecting someone to take care of them, they simply wanted an incident report so they could reimbursed by their insurance. They aren't suing the cruiseline because of the rolling incident, they just needed documentation.

We all want to feel safe and secure at sea or anywhere else. There are security staff on board. However, a ship is like a small city and security cannot be in all places all the time and on land as on sea, if someone is bent on doing something (stealing, causing harm), they will find a way, just like when we are at home.

But this incident does need to be kept in perspective, the OP suffered a chipped tooth, not a life threatening injury, although I am sure the rolling of the ship was traumatic and frightening, the injury itself was not something that could be cared for on the ship, so there really was little the cruise line could have done other than completing an incident report, which in my opinion should have been done for them.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Admiral

No, I believe she wanted the cruise line to pay her 50.00 deductible.

"I am only asking them to pay the 50 dollars that my dental insurance company did not cover"

And I don't think they are responsible for it.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
i filed a claim with the travel insurance sold by ncl anmd they refused to pay as they said it was not an emergency as evidenced by the fact i waited one day to egt it fixed.
I believe the OP wants the Insurance that they purchased from NCL to pay the deductible, rightfully so, I think. These sort of events are a good reason why people should buy insurance. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.

If I am on a trip, and have an unfortunate accident that results in my teeth getting knocked out (regardless of whose fault the accident is) I do expect my travel insurance to cover that if it offers dental coverage, which many do.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Admiral

I gotta disagree.

Deductible is just that....deductible from the covered amount.
She is fortunate that she has insurance that required only a 50.00 co-pay.
Had NCL stepped up and covered her dental bill she would have still had a deductible to pay.

Very rarely can you line up secondary and primary insurance so that you have NO out of pocket expense.

Having said that, I think NCL owes her a premium refund due to non-performance but that has nothing to with deductible.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Unless her travel insurance had a $50 deductible as well, I think she ought to get her $50 from the travel ins.. NCL's Insurance Co. is claiming they don't have to pay because treatment was delayed for a day and it wasn't an emergency. They are not denying the claim because she had primary coverage from her own dental insurance.

She should be able to submit the reciept for the amount she paid out of pocket to the trip insurance company and they should pay it.

I do agree if they won't pay the claim they should refund the premium.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Sorry, you can't use one insurance company to pay the deductible on another insurance policy.

The only way you can avoid a deductible is to pay the premium for a policy that offers no deductible.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

The OP could have submitted the entire bill to the travel insurance company and not even used their own dental insurance, the bottom line though, is that is not the reason they denied the claim, according to the OP.

BTW, I've missed ya Stinker
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Her first mistake was insuring through the cruise line.
We get killer insurance through a 3rd party that DOES offer a policy that has no deductibles...for, of course, a higher premium.

She needs to go after the premium with appropriate oversight agencies.

Getting her deductible paid just will not happen.

Missed you, too.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

I guess I dont understand the posts to well. From what I understand they want the deductable to be paid by NCL and documentation from NCL. I agree the documents should be given, but the deductable, well, if a policy says it's a deductable, then you you know that is what you will pay in case something happens. I don't consider this to be an amount to get upset over, certainly not to get me upset in my day to day.

On board, it would have been nice to have a little sympathy or empathy, and for sure the paper work, but more than that I am ot sure it is worth the aggravation.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Delft, I believe the OP is saying that their personal dental insurance had a $50 deductible, and wanted their travel insurance to cover the remaining $50 they had to pay out of pocket.

I think that if anyone had suffered an injury after a ship rolled, they are at least entitled to an incident report.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Admiral

We are losing track entirely of the tenor of the original post. she was a first time cruiser who had the feeling that the cruise line didn't really care about her safety.

"I now wonder just how safe I am if no one seems to care what happens to be???what if i am attacked since there are no police on board.???"

Her concern seems to be basically comfort level and security -- not insurance. In that regard, I think NCL may have alienated a neophyte through a rather ham-fisted treatment of a fairly legitimate concern. But then, big corporations are notorious for that. Customer service is a long dead art.

this is due in large part to two factors -- trial lawyers and litigious customers. Sad but true.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Admiral

I just can't agree. Her entire post was about insurance and reports and deductibles...only the last line mentioned fear.
How she turned a rolling ship into a physical attack because there are no police on board escapes me.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I just can't agree. Her entire post was about insurance and reports and deductibles...only the last line mentioned fear.
How she turned a rolling ship into a physical attack because there are no police on board escapes me.
I have to agree, should NCL have paid the deductable? Probably, but is it worth the bother? I don't think so and not having police on board, etc, what is this all about? She hasn't gotten her $50 back so now she feels unsafe...

Nita
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
We are losing track entirely of the tenor of the original post. she was a first time cruiser who had the feeling that the cruise line didn't really care about her safety.

"I now wonder just how safe I am if no one seems to care what happens to be???what if i am attacked since there are no police on board.???"

Her concern seems to be basically comfort level and security -- not insurance. In that regard, I think NCL may have alienated a neophyte through a rather ham-fisted treatment of a fairly legitimate concern. But then, big corporations are notorious for that. Customer service is a long dead art.

this is due in large part to two factors -- trial lawyers and litigious customers. Sad but true.
I agree with you as to customer service and ther reason it sucks. It used to be "the cusotmer was always right" today,if that was the case, every business would be throwing themselves wide open for law suites.