Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Default pearl dinning menu compare to carnival?

i have never cruise on ncl my first will be oct 2008 im very curios above the food i have cruise on 7 differents carnival and 9 royal caribbean cruises and the food have been good on both how is the freestyle crusing dinning menu is this good like any other line tipe food please help thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Familiar Face

Hi~

I have cruised three separate times on three different Carnival ships & in my opinion, the food on the Norwegian Pearl was far superior than anything we ate on Carnival. My husband & I ate at every specialty restaurant; Cagney's steak house was one of my favorites, my husband's favorite was the Asian Fusion restaurant. We also ate in the main dining rooms & those were good as well. We did the buffet a few times; the food was good but I prefer ordering off of a menu as opposed to the "cattle call" of a buffet set-up. I have to say the Italian restaurant was my least favorite; not that it was bad, it just wasn't my favorite!

We currently have two more cruises booked on Norwegian & I'm hoping the quality of food is the same on all of their ships as we will be traveling with my in-laws & they love to eat. I vowed to never take another Carnival cruise again, based on the last one we went on in December 2007. The food was not even edible. I think you will really enjoy the Pearl, it's a beautiful ship!!!

Have Fun!!!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from the NCL Gem. The food was just OK; it was good, but not too impressive. I don't know if they're cutting costs because of overall rising prices. The food on the Carnival Glory 2 years ago was definitely better. Then again, I didn't try any of the specialty restaurants; maybe it is better there.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Admiral

We have a very successful strategy with regard to dining on NCL. Avoid the buffet for anything other than a quick snack or cold breakfast type food like bagels, fruit etc.. however, the made to order omeletes are nice.

We budget extra to take advantage of the speciality restaurants, and it is fun to try all of the unusual and unique fare they offer. I have always enjoyed the teppanyaki, asian, french cuisine. We were always drawn back to the sushi. I have found from posts and discussions with fellow cruisers over the course of our last several NCL cruises, most people who are disappointed with the food on their NCL cruise have dined in the regular dining rooms or the buffet.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Captain

Food is very subjective so it's hard to answer. We've done 32 cruises on all the major lines and I can't say there's a huge difference anymore in any of them. The Pearl had a much better buffet than most ships as they have far more action stations.

I'm sure you will find somewhere onboard to your satisfaction.