Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Default Firt Time Cruise and with an infant

I am going to the Bahamas in November on the NCL Sky with my 11 month old infant - he will be that age at the time of cruising. I just found out about the pool situation and no swim diapers and now I found out there is NO babysitting at any hour for him. I thought there might be night time babysitting so my husband and I can go to dinner, but I guess not. Is this all true and if it is any ideas what to do with an 11 month old??????
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

The kids stuff and babysitting start at age 2.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Are we still going to be able to enjoy the crusie???? Are there things to do with an 11 month old
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

There are no shipboard activities for an 11 month old. It is up to you to take care of the tot.

I cannot predict if you will enjoy the cruise. IMO, leave the tot home with a relative if that is possible.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Cruise lines do not normally have baby sitting for little ones. If you are bound and determined to take him, just remember it will a different cruise experience than you may have had in the past. This doesn't mean you will not have a good time, it does mean you will be pretty much with baby 24/7. One thing many people do: bring a small inflatable pool and take it on deck when you want to enjoy some sunshine. The crew will be glad to fill and empty it for you. As for swimmy diapers, no diapers of any kind on any ship is a law, it has nothing to do with what line you cruise. Most feal it is a good law, for health reasons.

Nita
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I would toss a couple of ideas out for your consideration, you have some time since your cruise is not until November and final payment is not due yet.
3rd and 4th passenger rates are pretty reasonable on most cruises so perhaps you might bring along your own sitter, perhaps a relative or someone you know well to watch the child in the evenings when you want to go out. I know if I had been offerred free cruise fare in exchange for a few hours of babysitting services each day when I was younger, I would have jumped on it.
You might consider a Disney Cruise which will cost a lot more, but will offer you more childcare options.
If memory serves me correctly Carnival offers babysitting for children between 6 mos and 2 y.o. on certain mornings.
There are times scheduled where you can bring your baby to the NCL kid's clubs and play with them, but they do not offer sitting and do not handle diaper changeseven with the older kids (2 and up).

The swimming pool situation is, pretty much what it is. In my opinion I feel the rule is a necessary evil. Because none of us want to see anyone get sick on a cruise from ecoli or crypto. The inflatable pool is the next best thing. The nice though is you'll be able to take your little one to the beach when in port.