Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Default cabin question

I am booked on the Star Oct 4 for a 7 day cruise to Mexico,
allittle concerned from reading these posts I found after I booked... yikes
I hope the ship gets where it is supposed to go, sounds like there have been some mechanical issues recently...
anyway my real question is.. I booked a balcony at the stern of deck 10
so not a side room but the very back of the ship... I heard both great and terrible stories about this location, any comments
is it too noisy? not good for the view? or is it amazing as I hope?
anyone have any comments on the positive side about the mechanical issues with this ship?
I am so afraid I made the wrong choice here...
how about excursions any recomendations?
anyone have an iphone that was used on the ship ? how does it work?
full of questions...
tammy
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: cabin question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinden
anyone have an iphone that was used on the ship ? how does it work?
tammy
It doesn't matter what phone you use. Just the carrier. I'm going to guess you're using AT&T, since they were the exclusive carrier of the iphone when it came out. If that is the case then yes your iphone will work just fine.

If you're using another carrier I not sure.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Familiar Face

Hi~

We recently sailed on the Pearl to Alaska for seven days & our cellular phone service is through at&t. My husband needed to use his phone for business during the cruise (obviously, he doesn't understand the concept of vacation); at&t told us to temporarily switch our plan to cover international locations, which we did (it added about $60 to our bill to do this & we switched back when we got home).

SO... in answering your question. YES you can use your iphone but be prepared to pay a hefty price. When you are at sea, your phone will display "Cellular at Sea". When your phone displays this, your "cellular tower" is on the ship so you pay for that service. I can't remember what the cost per minute was, I think $2.49 per minute, maybe more. You pay this whether you are in US waters or international waters.

My husband ended up spending over $750 to talk on his cell phone. If you can avoid using your cell phone, you won't pay the hefty price. We also had our laptop with us; we purchased "minutes" on-board so we could access the internet. If you can keep in contact via email, this is a much better value. If you don't bring a laptop, they have computers available in the internet cafe.

Regardless, I suggest you call at&t right before you sail to temporarily switch your plan to cover international calls (if your plan doesn't already do so). That way, you can use your phone in Mexico when you are off the ship & it won't cost you a fortune.

One last thing, don't let the negative posts you read ruin your trip. Before we sailed on the Pearl, I read several negative comments & it really stressed me out. All I can say is we had the best time & everything far exceeded our expectations. It was our first time sailing on NCL & based on our experience, we booked two more cruises!

Have fun!!!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Thank yo soooo very much.. great information
and I am done stressing out.. will just consider anything negitive to be from negitive people... which we are not.. so we will not have the same experience
I do appriciate your comments
tammy
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thank yo soooo very much.. great information
and I am done stressing out.. will just consider anything negitive to be from negitive people... which we are not.. so we will not have the same experience
I do appriciate your comments
tammy
TAmmy, I just noticed you are sailing on the 4th of Oct. If you are going to Acapulco I would recommend you contact a private tour company named Rosie's. The tour is long, but very informative and worth doing. If not that, just hire a taxi for a few hours to get an overall view of the city. It isn't my favorite place btw.

If you want to snorkel, do it in Cabo, the pacific coast isn't as good for snorkeling as the gulf or the Caribbean, but Cabo is the best I think. Again, you can get a snorkeling trip after you get off the ship, there will be vendors everywhere.

In Puerta Villarta we went into town, did a little shopping and took a quick double decker bus on a city tour. It cost about $8 per person, not great but gave us an overall view of the city. I like PV> The other port, Ixtapa, be sure and go to the beach, either an organized tour or on your own. the water is pretty, you can even do a little snorkeling and they offer really cheap massages. It was the most fun port we visited. Remember one thing you are going to see is lots of vendors pushing thier wares. I was about to buy some Mexican opals, but couldn't get an entire set I liked plus I didnt' know anything about the prices so deciided not to. In Jan we were on Princess and still wanting Mexican Opals I started looking. I did get some, but wished I had gotten them in Ixtapa.

NOw, have a great cruise, check roll calls to meet others and be sure to eat at Endless Summer while on the ship. If you want other suggestions I would say Le Bistro and Soho.

Nita
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Passenger

OHHH another question I have read several comments about my ship having a port stop in Ixapata.. I looked again at the schedule there are only three ports of call, after LA it is CABO, MAZ and PV.. that is it.. did they change the stops from last year or will there be a stop in Ixtapa also just not saying so on the website or our receipt.
I will call the tour you suggested. Also we are not big drinkers so I do not need to stop the room with booze, but would like to stock with coke and beer for my husband are those options for purchasing and stocking the fridge in advance or is there only a bar setup option... Hubby once is a while enjoys a stiff one but (oh that sounded bad sorry no pun intended) so may consider getting a bottle of JW Black if we can order other items also.. I saw someone say no mixers but does Coke count? that is my drink of choice.. I am excited about finding others on my ship in advance thanks for the tip
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
OHHH another question I have read several comments about my ship having a port stop in Ixapata.. I looked again at the schedule there are only three ports of call, after LA it is CABO, MAZ and PV.. that is it.. did they change the stops from last year or will there be a stop in Ixtapa also just not saying so on the website or our receipt.
I will call the tour you suggested. Also we are not big drinkers so I do not need to stop the room with booze, but would like to stock with coke and beer for my husband are those options for purchasing and stocking the fridge in advance or is there only a bar setup option... Hubby once is a while enjoys a stiff one but (oh that sounded bad sorry no pun intended) so may consider getting a bottle of JW Black if we can order other items also.. I saw someone say no mixers but does Coke count? that is my drink of choice.. I am excited about finding others on my ship in advance thanks for the tip
ok, it appears your itinerary has been changed to the 7 day cruise. I knew it was going to change, but didn't know when. This being said, you probably have no worry about engine problems, that is one reason it was being changed. To get to Acapulco and back was a real push, often Acapulco had to be canceled leaving many unhappy. Hey your comment about hubby was pretty good, but could have to said differently. I will leave it at that. You can bring all the soda and water on you want, forget the beer, though someone said, on another board NCL now allows a 6 pack at each port. I have not heard anything about this. If he likes scotch I would just do the bar set up and let it go.

I can't give you any suggestions about PV as we have friends who live there so we spent the day with them.

Have a good cruise.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Passenger

I've sailed on the Star twice to Mexico. Both of those cruises were 8 days and included stops in Acapulco and Ixtapa. I believe that cruise has been changed to a 7 day cruise and the three stops you have on your documents and are the only ports visited on your trip.

NCL does offer a bar set up program. You can pre-purchase bottles of alcohol (to include Scotch) and have it waiting for you when you arrive at your stateroom. There is nothing better than sitting on your balcony enjoying your favorite spirit.

I've sailed on the Star a total of 4 times and enjoyed every single one of them.....You WILL have a great time.

Ray