Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Default To BOOK or NOT BOOK Excursions-That is the Question !

Hi All - This will be my first cruise in a loooong time (leaving from NY to New England/Canada). I hear good things and bad things about pre-booking excursions. I'd love to hear your opinions. If you don't pre-book the excursion, are you left standing at the port without a clue as to what to do ? Hubby and I are independent sorts, but we don't want to get stuck at the dock, either. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks so much! boo
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Admiral

First, I would research the ports and where the ship docks or tenders to. Google is you best friend here. Be careful, many of the areas where the ship docks are not in the best of neighborhoods.

Second, check the private tours. Some are excellent and some are a ripoff.

Third, look at what the ship offers. If you cannot do what they offer under on your own/private tours, book the the ship tours.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Irish ! When you say the ship's tours - are those separate from the ones I saw on their website ? I already printed out those and have been considering a couple of them (already booked a short tour on Martha's Vineyard that was offered) but I was wondering if there was some other offer you may be talking about. Also - if I find some interesting things to do based on, as you said, some Googling of my own - how would I get there from the port? Will there by cabbies or car service or buses? Do I trust them to get back in time for leaving the port ? Sorry for all the questions - as you can tell, I'm really quite a newbie at this. Last time I took a cruise was about 20 years ago....alot has changed (not the least of which is me...) Thanks again
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Admiral

- Ship's tours = what is offered on the cruise line web site for that cruise.

- Many of the private tours will met you at the ship or where the tenders land.

- When looking at a private tour they will state a hotel/ship pickup. It will be in the description/on the booking form. If you don't see it, either pass or e-mail them.

- Watch the times closely; you don't want to miss the ship. That is a plus for the ship's tours. They will hold the ship until all tours have returned.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks again, Irish. I'll probably go with a couple of the ship's tours, tp play it safe. God bless, boo