Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Default 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 2009

"NCL Service Charge
On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)"

I found this when exploring 'frequently asked questions' on the NCL site. There goes the Romance Package for our upcoming Jade B2B in January!
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambs2
"NCL Service Charge
On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)"

I found this when exploring 'frequently asked questions' on the NCL site. There goes the Romance Package for our upcoming Jade B2B in January!
I am really not terribly surprised, the $10 per day has been the price for about 3 or 4 years, Princess is higher (but not $12 per day) and other lines that are not yet using the auto tip have set min suggestions that will come to $11 to $13 per day, Disney has been higher for a couple of years. I guess it is like tipping in a restaurant: used to be 10%, then 12%, for most of us 15% and now they are suggesting 17 to 20%.

Nita
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Captain

Default Re: 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambs2
"NCL Service Charge

I am really not terribly surprised, the $10 per day has been the price for about 3 or 4 years, Princess is higher (but not $12 per day) and other lines that are not yet using the auto tip have set min suggestions that will come to $11 to $13 per day, Disney has been higher for a couple of years. I guess it is like tipping in a restaurant: used to be 10%, then 12%, for most of us 15% and now they are suggesting 17 to 20%.

Nita
3 or 4 years I think the suggested tips on my first cruise in 1989 added up to $10.

Not sure $2 a day is going to kill those of us that can afford to cruise but could make a hug difference to the crew. I guess we have to cover for the cheap folks that pull their service charges with trumped up reasons. The $10 and soon the $12 is really only a minimum but nothing else is expected or required.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Shoreguy, you are right, suggested would have been in the neighborhood of $10, back then, maybe a little less and most of us, or many anyway have always tipped over, at least a little. Someone did mention, on the other thread, it would have sounded a little less overwelming if it was worded, $2 per day increase instead of 20%.

Nita
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
. Someone did mention, on the other thread, it would have sounded a little less overwelming if it was worded, $2 per day increase instead of 20%.

Nita
But then the Lambs2 would not get the desired strong reaction to the identical post here and on CC. It is all about fueling a fire.

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Shoreguy, you are right, suggested would have been in the neighborhood of $10, back then, maybe a little less and most of us, or many anyway have always tipped over, at least a little.
Nita
It may have been a little less - $3.50 waiter, $2 Ast. Waiter, $3.50 cabin steward. $1 Head waiter. is they way I remember. It was a surprise to me. I remeber playing blackjack the last day needing to win $25 to cover the tips.

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Shoreguy, you are right, suggested would have been in the neighborhood of $10, back then, maybe a little less and most of us, or many anyway have always tipped over, at least a little.
Nita
It may have been a little less - $3.50 waiter, $2 Ast. Waiter, $3.50 cabin steward. $1 Head waiter. is they way I remember. It was a surprise to me. I remeber playing blackjack the last day needing to win $25 to cover the tips.
that's about right and did you win the $25?
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Passenger

[quote=shoreguy][quote="nmnita

But then the Lambs2 would not get the desired strong reaction to the identical post here and on CC. It is all about fueling a fire. [/quote]

Actually, the truth is I felt it was better to get the word out as widely as possible, as early as possible, to help head off the avalanche of negatives that were sure to ensue the closer to January 1, 2009 we got. There would surely be a hue and cry that "noone told me about the increase."
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Passenger

I was the one who suggested that $2 would have been a bit less intimidating but I understand that we sometimes make posts without considering the best way to say it. I know I'm certainly guilty of that.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee
I was the one who suggested that $2 would have been a bit less intimidating but I understand that we sometimes make posts without considering the best way to say it. I know I'm certainly guilty of that.
not us, we never say or write things that come off differently than they are meant: nope, never,

Nita
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Not that it really matters, but if a cruise is booked for next summer before they begin to implement the $12 pppd, and tips are prepaid at the time of booking, will they be adjusted when you go to settle your onboard account?
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Not that it really matters, but if a cruise is booked for next summer before they begin to implement the $12 pppd, and tips are prepaid at the time of booking, will they be adjusted when you go to settle your onboard account?
I certainly do not have a defenitive answer for you, but my guess, it the tips are pre-paid the $2 per day would not be added. This would be something to ask an NCL rep.

NIta
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Renaissance added $12/day to our on-board account eight-plus years ago. 3% inflation compounded over eight-and-a-half years would be equivalent to over $15 today. $12 is still a bargain. Especially if it helps keep NCL in business.