Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Yeoman

Default Shipboard time

We got our tickets and some other cruisedocuments in the mail yesterday and we also got the "Welcome Aboard" broschure.

The broschure says: "Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the time in the port of call". Is that something new for NCL? When we have cruised with them before the shipboard time has always been adjusted when travelling between different timezones, don´t they do that anymore?
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
First Mate

All the cruises I've been on the time has stayed the same on the ship, even though we crossed through different time zones. This is easier for the ship, and the time it really matters is when you are in port and have to figure out when exactly the ship is leaving. I guess they figure its too confusing and difficult of a job to switch all the clocks over in the ship multiple times per cruise.

I read a story once of a few people who missed the ship leaving a port as they were using the local time instead of ship time. Most of the time on the little board that says good bye/welcomes you back onboard there will be a sign that says 'passengers back on board by 5:30, crew by 5:00 ship time'.

Just be sure you know which is the case before you leave the ship
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Beginner

From my experience with NCL in the Western Caribbean they do change time back one hour. I actually have the card they put on your bed at turndown notifying the time change. We have done this itinerary twice with NCL and both times they changed ship time.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Yeoman

When we cruised with NCL in the Western Caribbean, the time changed one hour almost every day!

If the shipboard time is the same during the cruise, is the time on the itinerary shipboard time or porttime? We shall leave Dover 4 pm, is that GMT or shipboard time? We shall arrive to New York 8 am, is that EST or shipboard time?

If shipboard time is EST, are we leaving Dover 9 pm (GMT)? If shipboard time is GMT, are we coming to New York 3 am (EST)?

This seems much more confusing to me than to change the time to the right timezone!
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
If the shipboard time is the same during the cruise, is the time on the itinerary shipboard time or porttime? We shall leave Dover 4 pm, is that GMT or shipboard time? We shall arrive to New York 8 am, is that EST or shipboard time?
Very simple you depart on GMT and arrive on EST. It is great every other night or so you get an extra hour onboard. All port stops will be on local time with rare exceptions. Now if you are stoping at St John you have one night with a 1/2 hour change.

What ship are you on and when?

Far better then an eastbound where you lose an hour every other night or so.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

All times will be local times. At this time GMT is one hour behind Dover local time.

As you cross the Atlantic you will set your clock one hour back, or so, each day. (Depending on ports)
Dover is five hours ahead of New York, EST.

The NCL warning is usually for Caribbean sailings where they jump back and forth between time zones.

The daily program, that is delivered to your stateroom each evening, will tell you how to set your time for the following day.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Yeoman

Thank you for your comments/answers.

As I understand it, the shipboard time IS changing everytime we get to a new timezone. In my opinion, that´s the best way to do it!

We are cruising with the Norwegian Jewel from Dover September 17.

Mike, I doubt that GMT is one hour behind Dover local time, are you really sure about that?
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Captain

Quote:

Mike, I doubt that GMT is one hour behind Dover local time, are you really sure about that?
It is during daylight savings time You will arrive in NYC during EDT not EST so the time difference is the same 5 hours.

Old August 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Shipboard time

Quote:
We got our tickets and some other cruisedocuments in the mail yesterday and we also got the "Welcome Aboard" broschure.

The broschure says: "Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the time in the port of call". Is that something new for NCL? When we have cruised with them before the shipboard time has always been adjusted when travelling between different timezones, don´t they do that anymore?
On our Panama Cruise in 06 . On board time changed almost every day. Sometimes we would go forward one hour or back two hours depending on our next port. The only exception was that we left the Panama Canal , ship time when straight Florida time and stayed there. Therefore port and ship time where different in Columbia.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeoman

shoreguy, I don´t really understand what you said! Probably because of my bad english!!!!

Is daylight savings time what we in Sweden call summertime? Summertime means that we move our clocks 1 hour forward in the spring.

Is EST the timezone in New York during the winter and EDT the timezone during the summer?

When you say GMT, do you only mean the time they have in Greenwich during the winter? When I say GMT I just mean the time they have there, if it´s summer or winter doesn´t matter for me!
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Is daylight savings time what we in Sweden call summertime? Summertime means that we move our clocks 1 hour forward in the spring.
Daylight Saving (no s) Time is what you call sumertime.

Quote:
Is EST the timezone in New York during the winter and EDT the timezone during the summer?
Yes

Quote:
When you say GMT, do you only mean the time they have in Greenwich during the winter? When I say GMT I just mean the time they have there, if it´s summer or winter doesn´t matter for me!
That is correct. GMT is what it is.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
GMT + 1:00 (Western Europe Daylight / Summer Time)

Other times Dover = GMT

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Captain

Boy did we make a simple question hard

Simple answer is yes they will adjust ship times to local time zones

Old August 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. It is now referred to as UTC. (Universal Time Coordinated) UTC/GMT does not observe Summer Time, Daylight Savings Time or other names. In other words, it doesn't set itself ahead in the Spring or back in the Fall.

Dover, England does observe Summer Time and is one hour ahead of UTC or GMT.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Yeoman

Greenwich and Dover has the same time so even Greenwich are GMT +1 during the summer, it doesn´t make sence to me but I can accept it!

If GMT is the time in Greenwich (and Dover) during the winter, summertime in most of western Europe is GMT +2 hours, not GMT +1!

shoreguy, the question is still simple and I got my answer, they will adjust the shiptimes to local time zones!