Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Tika
Default Family Cruise Question.........help please!

We are a family of nine adults and five children. Oldest child 11yo down to a two yo. We can only get away for a seven day cruise. We are thinking about the NCL Dawn 8/2/09 from New York cruising to Bermuda. Any advice & personal experiences would be appreciated. We are trying to figure out stateroom possibilites. What would be the best choice high end to low end costs. Also considering RCCL EOS but this cruise is only 5 nights. Just don't know which ship is better for us !!!!!!! DH and I have cruised on the EOS and would get some past px perks but the most important thing right now is the right ship, best accommodations and what would be the best experience for our family.
Sleepless in New Jersey :>)!
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Both lines are great for families, but with the kids ages, especially the younger ones I would lean toward NCL. Freestyle dining is great for families. Often some may want to eat earlier, others later. I hate to think about everyone having to decide between 6:15pm or 8:15. I know RCI is trying open dining, but who knows how it will work. ..With NCL you know. these are just my thoughts.

Nita
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Captain

No simple answer. One thing in my case I would always lean towards more days on a cruise.

How the 14 of you want to cruise plays a major roll. If you all want to get together for dinner each night then traditional might be better. At least everyone knows where and when dinner is. Getting all 14 to decide where in when each day with so many choices on the Dawn is like hearding cats. A single table for 14 on either ship will be a challange. You can make reservations on the Dawn in the main dining room for a few nights for the gang but it must be before 6:00 or after 8:30

On the other hand if you want to have a great deal of flexibility and not worry about when you get back onboard then the Dawn is the answer. You can mix and match who eats together, when you eat, where you eat.

You can join the kids for an early dinner, send them off to kids club, and have a wonderful adult dinner at the Bistro or Cagney's.

As far as accomadations on the Dawn. Lots of options but it depends on the mix of adults and kids needing to room together and how fat your wallet is.

You can get 7 in the 5000 sf Garden Villa with 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms for the bargain price of ~$30K

A little more pratical an AB Penthouse beautiful master suite with a bathroom to die for and a kids room and second bathroom that sleeps 3

I would avoid any cabin for 4 except an AF mini. Keep in mind that room offers two twins that can be made up as a queen and a double sofa bed - no pullman.

The regular inside or outside cabins made up for 4 are two crowded for me.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Tika
Default Family cruise need help

Thanks for all the posts...........so much to think about :>)! My son that will be coming in from Colorado with his wife, a 3 1/2 yo & and two yo is pushing the NCL Dawn. Another son and his wife will have an 8 yo and just 5 yo. Our oldest son and his wife and our 11 yo grandson. Then there is our still unmarried son who insists on his own stateroom :>)! Definetly a challenge with decisions etc. So much appreciate the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b]