Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Star Questions: Tipping & Restaurants

Hello cruisemates!

My husband and I are sailing on the NCL Star in November. We have sailed with Carnival before. I have some questions about NCL.

1) How is tipping handled? On Carnival, you have the option of having the total tip fee added to you credit card at the end of the cruise. Is it the same for NCL?

2) On Carnival, most ot the eating places were included in the price of the cruise, with the exception of a few restaurants that were an extra fee. Is that the same on NCL? Which restaurants cost extra?

Thanks!
Mary
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Mary,

Welcome to cruise critic and welcome to NCL> Carnival now works the tips the same one NCL, it is a flat amount per day. NCL will add a $10 per day gratuity to your cabin account per person. You may tip extra if you want but it isn't expected. There will also be a 15% added tip to all bar drinks and spa treatments.

As for the specialty dining rooms, just like Carnival you will have some free dining options, the difference you will have many more fee dining rooms to choose from and they are a little less expensive than Carnival.
Included in your cruise price are 2 main dining rooms, the buffet, the harburger grill near the pool and Blue Lagoon, which is a "feel good" type of place. It isn't very big, is in the middle of the ship and features hamburgers, fish and chips, wings, plus a few other fun foods. If it open 24 hours a day. The extra pay dining rooms will have charges from $10 to about $25 per person. I have heard the Lobster tacos in Endless Summer are outstanding: cost for Endless Summer, $10 per person.

I hope this answers your question on food and NCL.

Nita
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Mary: My DH and I just returned from a trip on the NCL Dawn. They add your tips to the credit card and any extra tips would be your discretion. All drink tabs have an automatic 15% added to them.

Specialty restaurants have a cover charge from $20 (Cagney's Steakhouse), 15$ or $12.50 for someof the others. here is a website that has prices. Hope this helps.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...gianStar36.htm

Sandy