Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Beginner

Default Never cruised before..considering NCL next year...lots of ?

My husband and I are thinking about going on a cruise next fall. Neither one of us has ever been on one before. I'm totally lost how it all works, what happens, how to plan for it, etc. We do think we'll go with NCL because the freestyle cruising would be the best fit for us (I think?!).

Anyway, I have so many questions about the cruise line and I guess cruising in general that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I know there is a service charge on NCL. Are those considered the tips, or do you also tip beyond the service charge? If we eat at one of the signature restaurants, do you leave a tip on the table when you're done, or does the service charge take care of all that to?

2. Beverages. I know soft drinks and alcohol cost extra. What about milk and juice? Do they just charge your beverages to your room account at each meal, or do you give them your credit card?

3. I've read that the indoor (spa?) pool costs extra to use. What about the outside pools/hot tubs?

4. What is the dress code for the buffet? What is the food like? Big selection, or more like the local Bonanza? Do the items change daily, or is it pretty much always the same? Is it okay to dress casual (shorts and t-shirts) for dinner at the buffet, or is it more business casual?

5. Getting to the port from the airport. Does the cruise line have some sort of transportation that you pay for, or do you get a taxi? How soon before the ship sails should we be standing there and ready to board?

6. Since we're not the types to spend much time in the room on vacation, we're cosidering getting one of the less expensive inner rooms without a window. Has anyone stayed at this level before? Did you regret it?

Thanks for all your help! Since this is in the early planning stages, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions!
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Never cruised before..considering NCL next year...lots o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kren250
My husband and I are thinking about going on a cruise next fall. Neither one of us has ever been on one before. I'm totally lost how it all works, what happens, how to plan for it, etc. We do think we'll go with NCL because the freestyle cruising would be the best fit for us (I think?!).

Anyway, I have so many questions about the cruise line and I guess cruising in general that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I know there is a service charge on NCL. Are those considered the tips, or do you also tip beyond the service charge? If we eat at one of the signature restaurants, do you leave a tip on the table when you're done, or does the service charge take care of all that to? [

color=red]The tips are for certain staff . Bars add a percent to each bill as a tip. The extra charge usually includes your gratuity[/color]

2. Beverages. I know soft drinks and alcohol cost extra. What about milk and juice? Do they just charge your beverages to your room account at each meal, or do you give them your credit card?

All charges are put on your key/room card and charged to your credit card after the cruise is over. You will get a statement on the last morning , just before docking. If you are going to pay cash ,it has to be done a certain

3. I've read that the indoor (spa?) pool costs extra to use. What about the outside pools/hot tubs?

Don't know

4. What is the dress code for the buffet? What is the food like? Big selection, or more like the local Bonanza? Do the items change daily, or is it pretty much always the same? Is it okay to dress casual (shorts and t-shirts) for dinner at the buffet, or is it more business casual?

Don't know on NCL but on HAL and RCI they don't allow shorts or t-shirts in buffet after 6PM.

5. Getting to the port from the airport. Does the cruise line have some sort of transportation that you pay for, or do you get a taxi? How soon before the ship sails should we be standing there and ready to board?

You can purchase transfers to/from the airport. I would highly suggest that you arrive the day before you cruise departs. This so that if your plane is late there is some slack. Cruiselines can also sell you airfare if required. But it's cheaper/better to get your own from a TA.

6. Since we're not the types to spend much time in the room on vacation, we're cosidering getting one of the less expensive inner rooms without a window. Has anyone stayed at this level before? Did you regret it?

We have cruises twice with inside cabins. We found that cruises in the Caribbean you are better to have and balcony cabin

Thanks for all your help! Since this is in the early planning stages, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions!

We have only cruised on HAL & RCI . I would recommend that you use a Travel Agent (TA) that specilizes in cruise. All TA can sell , but some will recommend on how you answer there questions.

IE age , level of activity , etc

If they suggest something without asking any question , then
find another TA.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Captain

Let me clear up a few of the questions. 25 NCL cruises and none on HAL

1. I know there is a service charge on NCL. Are those considered the tips, or do you also tip beyond the service charge? If we eat at one of the signature restaurants, do you leave a tip on the table when you're done, or does the service charge take care of all that to?

For the most part the $10 some to bee $12 service charge covers your tips. Nothing else is expected. That said a small extra tip for great service in a specialty restarant or even a main dinng room is appreciated. As pointed out bar bills have a 15% tip added.

All expenses on the ship are paid with the same card that opens the door to your cabin. Milk and jiuce are free from room service and in the buffet.

All the outdoor pools and hot tubs are free. The Spa now carries a $15 daily fee of $75 for the week

Tshirts and shorts are perfect for the buffet. Any restaurant is ok to be casual (long pants collared shirt). The dinner elections change every night. The newer ship have far more selection then the older ships. They have action stations with cooked to order foods, carving stations, pasta, station, salad bars etc. Some nigts the food is betterin the buffet then the main dining room. Breakfast choices are many but about the same every day. Once again omlets and eggs cooked to order.

Depending on what airport you fly into NCL does offer transfers. You can call the main reservation numbers for details and pricing.

You have to be onboard no later then one hour before the ship sails. If a ship sails at 4 they normally start boarding around noon. I like to get there around 10:30, check in , and be one of the first to board so I can head to the main dining room for a relaxing lunch. Cabins may not be ready until about 2 pm

1000s do every week. 35 cruises and not one in an inside cabin. So this is one question I can not offer an answer.
Want more details ask away

Some Buffet pics

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren250

The service charge will handle the tips for your room steward(s) and main dining staff. You can add a small tip to the service charge restaurants if you wish.

Milk and juice are not charged for in the buffet and room service. If you purchase sodas or a drink then you use your room card for all purchases and it is added to your onboard account. All purchases must be made with your room card.

The outside pools and hot tubs do not have a fee. There is a fee for the spa and for spa services, such as facials and massages.

The dress in the buffet is always less casual. Shorts and t-shirts are OK at anytime. Some things will change in the buffet, especially at lunch and dinner, but there will always be the standard items.

[i]You can purchase a transfer from the cruise line. I would check the price because you purchase for each person in your group. A taxi is usually less expensive because you pay by the car, not the person. Ship's usually begin boarding between 11:00 a.m. and noon. If you are at the pier around 11:00 a.m. you will be fine. Be prepared to wait until 1 or 2 p.m. for the cabins to be ready.

6. Since we're not the types to spend much time in the room on vacation, we're considering getting one of the less expensive inner rooms without a window. Has anyone stayed at this level before? Did you regret it?

[i] I stayed in an inside cabin once and only once. I developed "inside cabin psychosis" around the second day. Basic claustrophobia and the feeling I was living in a large closet. Many people do book insides with no problem. I learned I was not one of them.
If you have any additional questions, just ask.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Admiral

You will get different opinions but inside cabins are fine for most people. I find little to no difference between inside and a window cabin and would not pay extra for the window. A balcony however is a big step up and many people decide a balcony is worth the extra cost.
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

You did not indicate what cruise you are planning for. We've been on nine cruises with NCL being our least favorite compared with Princess, Celebrity and RCL. There was nothing wrong with our experience on NCL's Star, but the food was just not nearly as good as on all of the other cruises.

The inner cabins have been fine for us (that was until we experienced a "partial obscured view cabin on Princess). Since we're out and about the ship most of the time during the daytime, having a view of open ocean doesn't mean much. And, during the evening, you can't see anything anyway. If it were up to me, we'd keep to the interior cabins, and as low as possible, where the ship's movement is as little as possible. And, the price is "righter."
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Passenger

We've cruised on NCL twice, and have our 3rd planned for the Southern Caribbean Feb. 6, 2009. We have always stayed in the inside cabin. We spend so little time in our room. Lots of time on deck. The balcony rooms are beautiful, however the inside is more cost effective. We have always booked center ship on deck 10. No motion sickness in this location.
As far as getting to the port of Miami to board the ship. The first time cruise we booked everything through NCL. Air/hotel is more expensive, but you don't need to worry about anything, as NCL has arrangements for everythig from the time you land at the airport. Our 2nd & 3rd cruise we booked through our TA, made arrangements from the hotel with the local cab service (about $20) from the hotel to the port of Miami. Worked out great! (Your hotel front desk staff is willing to make the cab arrangements for you). Our last cruise was a group of 20. We actually needed a bus for all of us and luggage!
If you schedule allows, arrive in Miami a day or two early. We went to South Beach in 2006, had lots of fun in the rain. Feb. 2009 we are arriving 2 days early to do the Everglades tour, and go back to South Beach, hoping for no rain this trip. Maybe try some of the restaurants for lunch or dinner. We found the bus system to take us from the hotel to South beach a very easy form of transportation. Trust your judgement and have a great time.
Your can purchase a refillable soft drink cup if I remember for about $25 for the week. If you drink a lot of soda, it is a bargain.
The cover charges to dine in the speciality restaurants is well worth the charge. Cagney's steak house is fantasstic!
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Passenger

most important tip to share, would be for you to purchase your tender ticket either from NCL or your TA from the cruise back to the airport.
If I remember correctly, you get off the ship on your last day in the order of your flight schedule. very important to have arrangements made ahead of time from the port back to the airport.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Passenger

I have always cruised NCL and love freestyle. Have had an inside cabin once. A little smaller - but the sleeping was great- very dark!

Not in the cabin much so I don't think it matters but claustrophobic folks don't like no window. If you aren't-then go for it.
Norwegian Dream 2004
Norwegian Spirit 2006
Norwegian Sun 2006
Norwegian Dream 2006
Norwegian Majesty 2007
Norwegian Dream 2008
Norwegian Pearl 2008
Norwegian Gem 2009
Carnival Pride 2009
Norwegian Gem 2009
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

True NCL loyalist but we do cruise all lines. I find very little difference in the food regardless of the line you cruise. Each line has something that is really good and some things yucky!!! Princess has great entrees, but very little choice in salads or soups. Our experience with their breakfast made we want to just wait til lunch to eat: NCL has great escargot and the best eggs benedict ever plus great breads and soups. Sometimes we have not been thrilled with the entrees. Holland America has the best buffets but the dinners are a little on the bland side. I could go on and on.

Not only does each line have good and bad dining, the rest of the cruise will be pretty much equal. We stick with NCL most of the time because they do know how to do freestyle. It suits us, plus the relaxed dress code. Most lines are relaxing thiers as well, but not to the extent NCL has. This, by the way does not mean wearing anything you want in the dining room. Use good taste...

Cabins, we have only had an inside cabin once, never again for us. We also don't splurge for balconies very often. It is a matter of choice and budget.

Nita
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll make this short.

As for an inside cabin, the only bad thing is there is no window, so, when you wake up in the morning, you have no idea if it is 5am or 10am. Otherwise, if that doesn't bother you and you want to save money, an inside cabin is fine. You get the same service and in most cases, it's usually the same size room as any standard room.

As for NCL, I would say cruise either Royal Caribbean or Carnival if you are picking that class. The food on NCL is soooo bland and not very creative.

The food on Royal Caribbean and Carnival was so much better. The ship was nice, but we were so disappointed in the food and we really look forward to the nice meals.

Finally, we did not like the free style dining, as we enjoy sitting with other couples and getting to know them throughout the week. Also, you don't get that personal relationship with the same wait staff either, as you are always sitting at a new table. And, finally, the waiters don't do the song and dance on NCL as they do with carnival and RC!
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yeoman

One important thing: if you want to go to the ship as late as possible on embarkationday, NCL now want you to be there 2 hours before the ship shall leave the port and not 1 hour. I don´t know if they don´t let people who are late board or if it´s just a recommendation.

It´s not really possible to grade the quality of the food between the different cruiselines because what you like someone else might hate! Some people just love the food on NCL and some people hate it, only you can say what you think about it! I can only say that I love it and it was even better on the cruise that ended last sunday than it has been before (Freestyle 2.0?). The best thing I have ever eaten was Cagney´s Banana Foster Flambee!

Some people like designated tables and fixed diningtimes, some don´t! On NCL you can choose if you wants to share table with someone but that doesn´t mean that they can fix it because most people say no when they ask if they wants to share the table! A good thing is that if you meet nice people by the pool, on an excursion, at bingo etc. you can decide to have dinner together. You can´t do that if you have a designated table!

An inside cabin can probably be okej but the pricedifferent isn´t always big between an inside and an outside so maybe it´s worth to "upgrade". We will most likely never cruise without a balcony again!

In my opinion the waiters shall not do the song and dance, they are there to serve food! As said: JUST MY OPINION! You may like it, or not!
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Never cruised before..considering NCL next year...lots o

We just returned from our 6th cruise -- all on NCL.

Here's my opinion on a couple of your questions.

We've normally taken taxis from the airport to the pier, but you can also arrange for transfers at many of the airports through the cruise line. If we're flying in the night before, which we normally do, we have also been known to rent a car if there's a convenient place to drop it close to the pier. That way, if we need to run any last-minute errands (for example, to pick up sodas to take on board), we have the flexibility to do so easily.

We also like to be onboard as early as possible. We normally try to get to the pier by about 10:30 or 11, and are normally onboard, eating lunch in the main dining room and enjoying our first chilled soup by about noon.

As far as inside cabins, we've have two inside views, two outside views, and now two balconies. I've normally started off with insides, and then watched the pricing and been able to "upgrade" to an outside or balcony for a much lower cost than the original balcony pricing was. That's not guaranteed, but it's worth trying -- as long as you can be happy in an inside.

We have found that we tend to spend much more time in the public areas of the ships when we're in either an inside or outside, and when we have a balcony, we tend to spend most of the time in our cabin. I really don't care about a balcony in the Caribbean and would never pay more for one there, but if it's a cruise with more scenery -- like Alaska, or our recently completed Canada/New England itinerary, I'm more likely to feel it's worth the additional cost.

One word of warning about your first cruise -- it's likely to be addicting! Our first one was in January, 2004 and we just got off our 6th last weekend. We've tentatively scheduled our next one for April, 2009.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow what a question. Have to say we were in the same boat in 2003 when we decided to take our first cruise and we, too, just got off our 6th cruise and are looking at number 7 for next year.

I would definitely say go to an experienced TA and let them give you brochures and prices for all the lines going out of the port you are interested in. This way you can lay out all the brochures on a table with all the prices. Your TA can also tell you who is sailing an old and tired ship out of the port you want to sail from. This way you can look at the pluses, minuses, and dollars of each offering.

Here's my personal opinion (and take it as that MY opinion) I would say RCL generally has the highest prices, followed by Princess, then NCL, then Carnival. I am basing this on cruises we have planned that go out of the NYC area ports. I would tell you that June, July and August are the times when cruise fares are the highest. We did two July sailings and all the rest have been September at cheaper rates, but keep in mind sailing in September puts you at the mercy of mother nature and you may not go to the port or ports your itinerary is scheduled for (in other words, are you flexible).

I will give you my experience with our TA: She had always done our Florida vacations for us. We then went a 10 year span without a vacation due to becoming self-employed. We then did another Florida trip and came back and said we have to do something different next time, how many times can we see Disney? I went to her office, she gave me brochures and prices. We discussed ages of all the ships. I asked any of our customers who had cruised for their opinions. They all said take a balcony room. We thought "would we use it?" We weren't sure, but said let's try it we're celebrating our 20th anniversary. Our TA told us Carnival just put the Pride in service and she would be running Bermuda trips that July we wanted to go. She told us about all the islands saying Bermuda was the best for those we had to choose from. We looked at RCL too, but, for the same price, we got two extra days out of Carnival so we chose them. Here's the hilarious part: as it got closer to cruise time our TA would call and say "they want to upgrade you for free" We're like "OK" We kept getting moved up floors, and then into an extended balcony cabin. We kept saying OK, new to cruise we were. Two weeks before we sailed we were put into a junior suite. Our TA told us we'd never ever like another cabin again! Long story short it as I have said we just got off our 6th cruise so that one hooked us on cruising.

But honestly what I would look at is 1. what type of room do we feel we'll be comfortable in (don't forget the cabins are relatively small in comparison to the size of some folks bedrooms) 2. Where is the ship sailing to. Do I want to go to the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda or for here up to Canada 3. Do I want a set time to eat dinner every night or do I want to eat when I want to eat. Carnival is set times in their one and only dining room and only one specialty restaurant, Princess offers both set seatings and open seatings in two different dining rooms plus 3 or 4 specialty restaurants, NCL offers open seatings, recommends reservations if you want to eat at a certain time and on the Dawn we had a choice of I believe 4 specialty restaurants. 4. What time of year do I want to travel. Summer months are peak months for families to travel. If you do not have children and you want peace and quiet do you really want to travel when families are traveling? I say this because we have found many many many unruly teenagers traveling in July and that's why we switched to September. The littles ones never bother us, an occasional temper rant, so what. Our last July trip we had them running the lido deck above us at 2 a.m. every morning, found elevators decorated with ketchup and security guards were telling us they were going around smashing the security cameras. This cruise as well security told us they were glad it was September for all my same complaints. And wouldn't you know it one night in the theatre we had 6 teenagers sitting behind us who made the whole show miserable because they were kicking our seats, tapping my sister in law on the shoulder asking for a date, etc etc. One couple next to us moved, but the seats were quite full and we were kind of trapped. One lady said she complained to personnel but we never saw security show up to escort them out. I can tell you if I acted that way my mother would have made sure I couldn't sit down for a week . and .5 BUY travel insurance. We add it into the cost of our trip so we ignore it as an extra cost. Our TA had recommended it because final payments are due so far in advance, but they also cover you if you become ill or get hurt. Our health insurance plans here in the states only cover you for the United States. We just had to make a claim this trip because one of our traveling companions developed a blood clot and could not go. This happened a week before we sailed. Had we not had travel insurance we would have only been reimbursed 50% by Carnival. Had it been within 7 days of sailing we would have had no refund at all. The insurance is picking up the other 50% less the cost of the premium. Well worth the $69 to $100 a piece it costs.

This will be a new adventure for you in vacationing. So absorb all you can, don't let it drive you crazy, made a decision and just have fun that's what vacation is all about.

Kathy