Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Default Southern excursions 2/6/09

Cruising the Southern Caribbean 2/6/9 Ports of call are Samana, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia. Any input on shore excursions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Southern excursions 2/6/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskow
Cruising the Southern Caribbean 2/6/9 Ports of call are Samana, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia. Any input on shore excursions would be appreciated.
of course everything is opinion so I will give you mine: first off, that is an awesome itinerary. We took a similar one several years ago: Samana: for us, this was a big let down, but maybe if you try a tour, I can't really suggest anything. Why not googles the port and see what pops up..Tortola: either do the ships excursion (which I normally do not suggest, but this time I will) or check on a private one, regardless touring to Virgin Gorda is a must.../Antiqua, try an all inclusive resort for the day. Barbados, we have used 2 different tour companies, both were fantastic, but we liked Ken the best. There is so much to do in Barbados it is hard to choose. If you do a private tour most companies will let yo decide on what suits your interests the most: the animal reserve is awesome, there are several small walking tours, the hill is worth seeing, the beaches, the old churches, I could go on and on. St Lucia, I would recommend horse back riding or a boat trip. In every case you will find lots of suggestions just by googling or clicking onto the island itself for ideas. You can't go wrong either way.

NIta
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Passenger

thank you for your suggenstions Nita. Do you have any feed back on the sky canopy & aerial tram tour in St Lucia?
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Southern excursions 2/6/09

Quote:

We did this same itinerary on the Jewel last March.

In Samana we joined with a group from our roll call to go on a private excursion to Playa Rincon beach with Casa Dorado. Wonderful day! Hope they did not incur much damage from the recent hurricanes. You will defin itely notice the poverty in this area, and there is really nothing to do within walking distance of this port (no decent shopping either), so you need to take some sort of excursion. If you go to a beach there, be sure and take LOTS of sunscreen. We both burned the tops of our feet as we neglected that area, so be warned!

When we docked in Tortola, DH and I hoofed it over to the ferry dock (keep left) and bought roundtrip tickets (included jitney transport on Virgin Gorda) to Virgin Gorda and the Baths (unique rock formations on beach there). We beat the ship excursion there and when we were ready to leave we saw the l-o-n-g line of people just heading down to the rocks in cattle-call formation! after we took the ferry back to Tortola we had plenty of time to stop at shops on our walk back to the ship.

Antigua - booked a great day with tour guide Lawrence of Antigua. He required no advance deposit and gave a terrific tour of HIS island in his very comfortable modern tour bus. He is easy to find because he always wears his colorful plaid vest and holds up a sign with the names of the folks he is looking for that day. What a nice gentleman and very reasonable.

Barbados - we did not plan anything that day and just hired a taxi driver with another couple to take us on a tour of the island in the morning. We went back to the ship for lunch, and in the afternoon walked to the Mount Gay rum distillery for a tour and tasting session.

St. Lucia - I highly recommend booking a private excursion with Cosol Tours. Many roll calls will plan this, if not you can just email him yourself. Our day was absolutely wonderful! One of the best excursions I have ever been on. Jalousey Beach between the Pitons is a wonderful way to spend a couple hours at the end of the tour.
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
thank you for your suggenstions Nita. Do you have any feed back on the sky canopy & aerial tram tour in St Lucia?
I don't, but from what I have heard about other ports, Aerail trams tours and sky canopies can be a blast. I am just to afraid of being up so high....

Nita