Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default NCL GEM Hurricane Schedule Kept

Back from my two week trip to Europe. One week was spent cruising the Med (Spain. Malta, Italy, France). We were on the newest ship that Norwegian Cruise line has in service the Gem. Up until the last night I consider it a floating resort Hotel. But that all change as we left the port of Villefranche, France to head to the final port of Barcelona, Spain. As we left the port at about 3:30pm we could feel the wind come up. By 5pm the winds had hit 72 knots or 83 mph which is classified as a Category I hurricane. The seas were very high with white long patches of foam. Some of the crew stood at the windows and look out wounding if they would survive the night. The ship listed at a 10 to 15 degree angle with lots of vibrations and noise of the ship crying for help. They close the outside off to us but did not make an announcement. They close the control room window so that we would not see the senior crew in their survival suits and life vest. I have been sailing small sailing boats for more than 40 years and had never seen seas like this other than on the TV. I was on the 8th deck and the waves were coming that high. Could you image the fear we felt. Some where during the night we hit a very large wave that row the ship over 35 to 55 degrees I was in bed with my wife and found myself toss from one side to the other. We thought that we were going to die. To say the least we did not sleep that night. Could you image no one telling us anything? Could you image the fear? Do you think they said they were sorry? Was the Captain or any senior crew on deck when we finely left the ship? No they didn’t do any wrong, as after all the ship did make it to port. Not all ships did make it to port that night I did hear one large ship off of Turkey did not make it. Oh the schedule was kept and money was made.

Living in California never in my wildest dreams did I ever image that I would be in a Hurricane.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Default Re: NCL GEM Hurricane Schedule Kept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehsail
Back from my two week trip to Europe. One week was spent cruising the Med (Spain. Malta, Italy, France). We were on the newest ship that Norwegian Cruise line has in service the Gem. Up until the last night I consider it a floating resort Hotel. But that all change as we left the port of Villefranche, France to head to the final port of Barcelona, Spain. As we left the port at about 3:30pm we could feel the wind come up. By 5pm the winds had hit 72 knots or 83 mph which is classified as a Category I hurricane. The seas were very high with white long patches of foam. Some of the crew stood at the windows and look out wounding if they would survive the night. The ship listed at a 10 to 15 degree angle with lots of vibrations and noise of the ship crying for help. They close the outside off to us but did not make an announcement. They close the control room window so that we would not see the senior crew in their survival suits and life vest. I have been sailing small sailing boats for more than 40 years and had never seen seas like this other than on the TV. I was on the 8th deck and the waves were coming that high. Could you image the fear we felt. Some where during the night we hit a very large wave that row the ship over 35 to 55 degrees I was in bed with my wife and found myself toss from one side to the other. We thought that we were going to die. To say the least we did not sleep that night. Could you image no one telling us anything? Could you image the fear? Do you think they said they were sorry? Was the Captain or any senior crew on deck when we finely left the ship? No they didn’t do any wrong, as after all the ship did make it to port. Not all ships did make it to port that night I did hear one large ship off of Turkey did not make it. Oh the schedule was kept and money was made.

Living in California never in my wildest dreams did I ever image that I would be in a Hurricane.
Yikes, you've got me nervous now! I am scheduled to cruise the Gem on October 4th, 2009, the same time of year as you. I was under the impression that this was a very mild and lovely time of the year to sail the Mediterranean.
I would love to hear from others who have experienced similar.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Admiral

1greencar

The experience you just read about isn't common for the Med anytime of year, don't let this worry you too much. I have heard mostly really good things about the Gem and about cruising the meditarian. Oct should be fine, perhaps a little chilly, but unlikely you will have a hurricane.

Nita
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
1greencar

The experience you just read about isn't common for the Med anytime of year, don't let this worry you too much. I have heard mostly really good things about the Gem and about cruising the meditarian. Oct should be fine, perhaps a little chilly, but unlikely you will have a hurricane.

Nita
It sounds like it is something to be aware of. I have scheduled the cruise and i intend to take it and most likely will enjoy it thoroughly. I would never discount somebody else's experience nor do I think denial is healthy.
clipped from: dsc.discovery.com
Hurricanes Brewing in Mediterranean?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 19, 2007 — Climate change models tailored to investigate some strange storms in the Mediterranean suggest that global warming could lead to hurricanes forming in that sea. If so, countries around the Mediterranean could be in for the most violent weather in centuries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most hurricanes form in the tropical Atlantic, rarely reaching Europe. But warming oceans could encourage them in the relatively landlocked Mediterranean, say the authors of a new study.

"It should be a matter of concern," said Miguel Gaertner, a researcher at the University of Castilla-La Mancha in Toledo, Spain. "The consequences could be quite dangerous."
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Captain

Default Re: NCL GEM Hurricane Schedule Kept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehsail

Not sure how much of the above embellishment is to to add drama or comedy. Sorry you had a rough last day at sea. Having been on the Pearl in winds gusting over 150 mph and sustained at over 90 knots I was amazed how well these ships handle the bad weather.

Had you listed 55 degrees I fear you would not be hear to post the story.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greencar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
1greencar

Nita
It sounds like it is something to be aware of. I have scheduled the cruise and i intend to take it and most likely will enjoy it thoroughly. I would never discount somebody else's experience nor do I think denial is healthy.
clipped from: dsc.discovery.com
Hurricanes Brewing in Mediterranean?

July 19, 2007 — Climate change models tailored to investigate some strange storms in the Mediterranean suggest that global warming could lead to hurricanes forming in that sea. If so, countries around the Mediterranean could be in for the most violent weather in centuries.

Most hurricanes form in the tropical Atlantic, rarely reaching Europe. But warming oceans could encourage them in the relatively landlocked Mediterranean, say the authors of a new study.

"It should be a matter of concern," said Miguel Gaertner, a researcher at the University of Castilla-La Mancha in Toledo, Spain. "The consequences could be quite dangerous."
I am not sure anyone is saying the poster isn't telling the truth, what I am saying; this is still extremely unusual. No one is in denial, but most are not going to worry about it much either. If it were the Caribbean, that would be a little different. Evnen then, do you have any idea how few cruise ships are affected by hurricanes in Sept in the Carribean? You can look for studies and find what you want. We all can, but the fact remains the chance of a hurricane in the Med isn't not at all common. Not to mention, there is nothing that can be done about it anyway. You either go or cancel. You have said, you do intend to cancel so I don't quite see the point of this post period.??

Nita
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Beginner

Default That isn't what I said at all

You have said, you do intend to cancel so I don't quite see the point of this post period.??

Nita
No I didn't.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Admiral

1greencar - people drop in and post these sort of "warnings" and then disappear. I don't think you will get a response from the original poster (OP). Enjoy your cruise and don't worry too much about Mediterranean hurricanes.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014