Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Default ncl pearl excursions in Roatan/Belize

Has anyone taken the Tabyana Beach Party or the Coral Cay Private Island and Shrimp Feast Excursions on Roatan? Which is better?
Also, on Belize does anyone know about the Beach Break or is there another great beach day excursion you can recommend? Thanks again for your help. This is the Pearl sailing on April 12, 2009 to the Western Caribbean.
Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

We never made it to Roatan due to a medical emergency, there was Anthony's Key Resort there that was very popular with the divers in our roll call, and we were going to go over there for the day and just enjoy the beach, as I recall they offered a private water taxi for their guests from the port area and it was very inexpensive. Google them and you can find out more. There was also a couple who was going to try the Tabyana Beach Break too, so I figure either one would probably offer value. Right before we left for our cruise a woman was killed ziplining and so understandably that was not a very popular excursion at that time.

In Belize the beach break was on Spanish Bay it is fine and great for people who just want to hang out or folks with small children. there is a walkway through a marshy area to the other side of the Island where (I am straining my brain to remember all this) Hugh Parkey's Dive Company is located (this was highly recommended by our diver friends too). There is a restaurant there serving decent food and drinks. This is a good relaxing way to spend the day, it is nice because it one of the very few beach areas you will find in this area of Belize and if you book the ship tour you will get priority tender tickets.

My favorite place to visit on Belize is Caye (pronouced Key) Caulker. There are several tour companies that offer tours out there, Fab, Marvin Deras Ecological Tours, Coral Breeze etc... (you can book these tours in the tourist village right where you exit the tender and basically it offers great snorkelling in the Coral Gardens which is beautiful and you can swim with the sharks (harmless nurse sharks) and Sting Rays. If you want to experience something equally beautiful but not quite as daring, you can always take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and engage Heather at Tsunami Watersports to book a glass bottom boat tour.

If you have a long day at Belize and the ship gets in on time and the weather cooperates you could take the hour and a half water taxi ride out to Ambergris Caye in San Pedro to the Marine Preserve. I would have loved to have done this our last visit to Belize but since our ship was late arriving there wasn't enough time.

If you are daring and want to take the water taxi, message me and I will give you detailed instructions how to get to the water taxi from the tourist village.

Old October 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Passenger

I'm heading for Belize and Roatan in January, and your suggestions sound great.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Default Roatan

Was considering the zip line - thanks for the info. I think at 63 I will leave to the young ones.

How do you get the cruise clock? I would love to put that on my profile.
Norwegian Dream 2004
Norwegian Spirit 2006
Norwegian Sun 2006
Norwegian Dream 2006
Norwegian Majesty 2007
Norwegian Dream 2008
Norwegian Pearl 2008
Norwegian Gem 2009
Carnival Pride 2009
Norwegian Gem 2009
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Roatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by judipa
Was considering the zip line - thanks for the info. I think at 63 I will leave to the young ones.

How do you get the cruise clock? I would love to put that on my profile.
I agree, there are things that are best left to them: OP, Tabyana is a great tour especially if you love snorkeling. I personally do not care for Belize, but will be going there again in a couple of months, I have heard the best thing to do is cave tubing. Just an idea.

Nita
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Re: cave tubing a woman drowned recently on a cave tubing excursion in Belize (this was a ship sponsored tour). If you are considering this excursion really use your common sense. The guides sometimes run these tours even at times when the rivers are swollen with fast moving currents. There have been lots of close calls in the past several years with near drownings. So if it looks scary and dangerous, it just might be.

Old October 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE Tabyana Beach! It's so pretty, the people are SO NICE, and the drinks are really good and inexpensive compared to the ship. Try the"Monkey LaLa's". To die for. My mom even got her hair braided for something like $20. I think of all the places I've been on cruises, the memories of this place tops my list.
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Re: cave tubing a woman drowned recently on a cave tubing excursion in Belize (this was a ship sponsored tour). If you are considering this excursion really use your common sense. The guides sometimes run these tours even at times when the rivers are swollen with fast moving currents. There have been lots of close calls in the past several years with near drownings. So if it looks scary and dangerous, it just might be.
good point, I know I wouldn't try it..

Nita
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Captain

We have been to Tanyanka three or four times. Love it.
The ship tour provides a nice buffet - burger, hot dogs, chicken
and the fixins and believe it or not the best almond tea I've ever had (now honestly who remembers iced tea?)

The snorkelling is fine, you can rent gear right there on the beach,, don't remember the cost but maybe ? $7 for the day.

You can have open air massages under the palm trees
for $20 or so.

The zip line is there also. Nice place and when we priced it by private taxi we only saved about $5/person by using the ship. Well worth the price for that peace of mine.

Enjoy!
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
We have been to Tanyanka three or four times. Love it.
The ship tour provides a nice buffet - burger, hot dogs, chicken
and the fixins and believe it or not the best almond tea I've ever had (now honestly who remembers iced tea?)

The snorkelling is fine, you can rent gear right there on the beach,, don't remember the cost but maybe ? $7 for the day.

You can have open air massages under the palm trees
for $20 or so.

The zip line is there also. Nice place and when we priced it by private taxi we only saved about $5/person by using the ship. Well worth the price for that peace of mine.

Enjoy!
i don't always suggest ship tours, but you are right, this one is great...BTW, what ship are you cruising and what line...:::???

Have a great time,

Nita
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Passenger

shell lady My DH and I are also booked for the Pearl April 12. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary on the ship.

We haven't decided on our shore excursions yet. We would like to snorkel and it sounds like the ship excusion to Tabyana Beach is a good choice for Roatan.

Thanks posters for the info on cave tubing. We were considering that excursion, but I am not sure about the safety of that now.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Passenger

I can't wait, after reading what others are saying. That Tanayama (sic) beach sounds really nice, We are big snorklers. I'm interested also in any Ruins that we might see in Belize, Anything worthwhile? BTW, someone was asking about the cruise clock, Just click on the name of the cruise clock, whichever it is, cruise ticker, or whichever, and follow the link, it's really simple. Believe me, If I could do it, you can do it.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old December 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default roatan and Belize Tours

Definitely go and see the mayan ruins in Belize. We loved the tour we took to Lamanai Mayan Ruins we saw so much wild life on the boat trip and at the site as well and the ruins were simply WOW!

In Roatan, you might want to have a look at Roatan Cruise Excursions we did a wonderful private tour with them. Saw so much of the island and had time at the beach too
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Default Roatan and Beach Break

We went in November 2008 on NCL Western 7 day cruise. We had so much fun that we booked it for March 2009 with our family. We had a great time at Tabyana. They had a great lunch and very few vendors. They had a wonderful 1 man band (sounded like more). It was November and the water was murky and seaweed everywhere. It also drizzled alot. So it was low key. But it was nice otherwise. Had the weather been better it is suppose to be beautiful water and sand. They came around and took pictures of me sitting on the lounge chair. Great pic. I usually son't like my pic's but this one was good.

The Belize Beach break is wonderful. I drove the huge tender all the way back to the ship. (WOW!!!) Great fun. They have a beach hut with hamburgers, cheese sticks and simple lunch items. They also have a single hut with a bar. They have bathrooms and lounge chairs. The water and sand were beyond wonderful. They also have a very small hut with very few items to buy for friends or family. I paid $30 for a cute sarong.

They rent kayaks and you can pay extra for the trampoline positioned in the water. LOTS of fun. We are going back to that also.