Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Compass Rewards Master Card

I received a mailing yesterday from Bank of America that says NCL is
doing away with their Compass Rewards credit card program and
replacing it with NCL WorldPoints program. This will take place on Jan. 1, 2009.

The Compass program reward was 3% of all retail purchases and 4% of all NCL purchases were given to the card holder. So if you bought $100 of stuff, you received $3 in credit toward a cruise on NCL. This was a very generous program and I was able to use my points for $2,000 off of my
last NCL cruise.

Now they are going to a 1% reward so it is not nearly as attractive and you might as well use a Discover Card and get 1% cash back.

A sad day indeed.......................
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Captain

it is a sad day indeed

I have used my compass points on 7 cruises and have another one paid in full this spring. I have 6 more certificates I can accrue by the end of the year (I have 6 cards) but I will have to work another cruise into my schedule next year although I was really hoping to save those up for a biggy European cruise on 2010. Oh well, all good things must end.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Captain

Default a bit of good news

Just spoke to 3 PVPs at NCL, including my very own chatty guy.
All 3 gave me the same story (always comforting).
Yesterday an extensive meeting was held to cover all possible ramifications and questions about this progaram.

Good news is that the certificates need to be applied prior to expiration but sailing does NOT have to take place by expiration as in the past.

This allows us to plan a bit better and doesn't give NCL a glut of "free" passengers in a short span.
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: a bit of good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Just spoke to 3 PVPs at NCL, including my very own chatty guy.
All 3 gave me the same story (always comforting).
Yesterday an extensive meeting was held to cover all possible ramifications and questions about this progaram.

Good news is that the certificates need to be applied prior to expiration but sailing does NOT have to take place by expiration as in the past.

This allows us to plan a bit better and doesn't give NCL a glut of "free" passengers in a short span.
thanks Magnolia, this should help both NCL and the guests. As you did say, all good things come to an end sooner or later.

On another site we were talking about this a few days ago: remember Blue chip stamps and SandH green ones, or the days when the grocery stores gave you dishes for shopping there? How about the S and Ls (which really don't exist anymore) giving you patio chairs, steak knives, and other things just for opening a passbook account? I bet there are younger people that have never heard of a passbook account. Frequenst flyer miles used to build up fast and were easy to use, not anymore...

So, we adjust, and we go on. Tomorrow will be another day and another gimmic...
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Am I missing something here? My letter from Bank of America says that we will earn 1 point for every $1 in net retail purchases & double points for purchases made with Norwegian Cruise Line
Sounds like a better deal to me.
We are also trying to see how we can get the balance of our points prior to Bank of America send them out a receiving them by 1-31-09, as we sail out of Miami on 2-6-09. There will be no way for me to get these certificates from Oregon to Miami in 3 days to be applied to my cruise
I'll be contact the NCL Corporate office tomorrow AM Ican FedEx or UPS, but it is my understanding that NCL will ONLY accept the ORIGINAL.
Any suggestions??
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Captain

On the face of it 1 pt/dollar sounds good but instead of a 3% return, you now get only 1%. i.e. now $16,650 gets you a $500 certiicate, it will take $50,000 in spending to get a $500 discount now. At least, if they use the same schedule as other WorldPoit programs they offer.

Plus you will have to book via their travel agent (same as CCL) and that's never a good deal. However, I guess you can also use it for air fare, cash back ($2,500 gets you a check for $12.50 - wow) and reward purchases.

Not nearly good a deal as the old card, but as the song goes - all good things must end someday.

To redeem you points, if you already have 500 points call the number on the back oof your credit card and tell them you want to redeem your poibts. They will mail you your certificate. It will arrive in about 2 weeks. You must mail the original to NCL, address is onn the back of the certificate. Send it via trackable method. Make a copy prior to mailing.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the added details. You are correct, it looks good on the front.
Would you recommend FedEx or UPS for mailing certificates? And, would you insure them? I'm planning to have them tracked. I'm really trying to stay away fron the US postal service. I was planning to take a copy, however when I spoke to NCL today, they were very adamant they will only accept the originals. Do you know of anyone who has ever had a problem with NCL receiving the certificates? Thank you
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Passenger

Would you recommend FedEx or UPS for mailing certificates? And, would you insure them? I'm planning to have them tracked. I'm really trying to stay away fron the US postal service. I was planning to take a copy, however when I spoke to NCL today, they were very adamant they will only accept the originals. Do you know of anyone who has ever had a problem with NCL receiving the certificates? Thank you
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskow
I always use the post office and send them certified so I can track them. I also use this address as apposed to the PO box. I have never had a reward post in more then 7 days from mailing. I have sent perhaps 20 certificates over the past years.

Norwegian Cruise Line
Attention Accounting Department
7665 Corporate Center Drive
Miami, Florida 33126

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Passenger

Thank you shoreguy. Appreciate you sharing your experience
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Captain

Dittos to ShoreGuy. Send them by US Postal Service whatever method you choose just make sure you have a sigature for confirmed delivery.
Priority Mail is usually the heapest way to go and get what you want. Just ask the clerk at the window.

I have had a problem, but it was an internal problem with NCL's mailroom. Fortunately I had a receipt of confirmed delivery and a copy of my cetificates.hey did eventually "find" the certificates in the mail room but it took aout 3 weeks.

I'vre mailed in lots of certifiates of the years. Maybe 30 or so and only had a problem once.

Relax, just get a delivery confirmation and you'll be fine.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I have had a problem, but it was an internal problem with NCL's mailroom. Fortunately I had a receipt of confirmed delivery and a copy of my cetificates.hey did eventually "find" the certificates in the mail room but it took aout 3 weeks.

that is the reason to add attention accounting department. Saves days in the mailroom opening the package and deciding where it should go.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska