Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Who do you think is best, Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean?

Who do you think is best, Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean?

I know it depends on the ship, but what I have found is that basically all the ships are pretty nice and pretty equal.

I have found that Carnival offers the most entertainment all around the ship as far as different lounge singers and different variety of singing.

I think Carnival offers a better selection at their buffets with the different stations and outside the pool but that Royal Caribbean is a touch better in their dining room and NCL is definately dead last in the dining area and buffet.

As far as entertainment in the main room, I thought both NCL and Royal Caribbean were about equal and Carnival just one notch below.

Overall, I like Carnival the best, then Royal Caribbean and NCL last.

Like I said, I know it a lot depends on the ship you take. I've been on the Spirit and Pride on Carnival, the NCL Star and for Royal caribbean, it's been their older ships, the Monarch and Vision of the Seas.

Therefore, I have not been on any of the newer Royal Caribbean ships, otherwise, I might have to say Carnival and Royal Caribbean would probably be equal.

Your opionon?
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Admiral

As long as you are talking class for class as you seem to be I think all the mass marketed lines are more alike than different. Each does have a niche and each attracts a certain clientele, but other than a few things that sets one apart from the other, I think it simply depends on what you are accustom to.

Nita
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Yeoman

I can only say what I have seen from the outside since I haven´t been on a Carnival ship.

When we were on Cayman Island we saw a lots of ships from Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

The two carnival ships that was there looked like wrecks from the outside! I know that they could have been nice on the inside but what I saw was grouse! We were very happy that we were cruising on the Norwegian Dawn then!

I don´t really like NCLs painting but the design of their ships is very nice, just my opinion.

Even if I haven´t cruised with Carnival or RCI NCLs Freestyle Dining gives me the answer what I prefer, definitely NCL!
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I can only say what I have seen from the outside since I haven´t been on a Carnival ship.

When we were on Cayman Island we saw a lots of ships from Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

The two carnival ships that was there looked like wrecks from the outside! I know that they could have been nice on the inside but what I saw was grouse! We were very happy that we were cruising on the Norwegian Dawn then!

I don´t really like NCLs painting but the design of their ships is very nice, just my opinion.

Even if I haven´t cruised with Carnival or RCI NCLs Freestyle Dining gives me the answer what I prefer, definitely NCL!
Was the ship grose or were they (PAX) eating grouse?
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Yeoman

The ships looked grouse, like in disgusting.

(I assume that you are trying to correct my bad english and I thank you for that)

What I meant was that the ships looked awful, don´t they care at all what they look like from the outside? As I said, they could be nice on the inside but from what I saw, NO THANKS!
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The ships looked grouse, like in disgusting.

(I assume that you are trying to correct my bad english and I thank you for that)

What I meant was that the ships looked awful, don´t they care at all what they look like from the outside? As I said, they could be nice on the inside but from what I saw, NO THANKS!
I am sorry, I did not realize you were from Swedan. ! I am SURE your English is much better than my swedish would be. I do not even know how to say "hello" in your language.

You may not realize this, but Carnival is a budget line. Their cruises are considerably less than most of the other lines. A family of 4 could save as much as $1000 US over Royal Caribbean on the cost of a 7 day cruise. For many middle class American families, $1000 can be the differance in affording the cruise.

For your money's worth, that line is a very good value. Many forget to say that about Carnival when they say they prefer another line. For many, who would like to do a once in a lifetime dream cruise, Carnival is their only option, as they cannot afford better.

Sadly, many Amercians will post on these boards and say bad things about Carnival, because this makes them feel superior to others who cannot afford better, whereas they are not superior, they simply have either more money or more debt. I find those posts insulting to the poor guy who wishes to take his wife and family on a once in a lifetime (for them) vacation. I assumed you were on of those "uppity snobbish Amercians". I apologize.

You are correct-Carnival ships are the least attractive of the six lines that I have cruised. I prefer other lines to them.
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

I hope that my english is better than your swedish, which I guess is really bad, but on this site how the english is is what´s important!

I don´t know much about carnival because not many travel agencies here sell carnival cruises. I don´t say that it´s a bad choice, maybe it´s better to cruise with carnival than not cruise at all! It probably is!
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I hope that my english is better than your swedish, which I guess is really bad, but on this site how the english is is what´s important!

I don´t know much about carnival because not many travel agencies here sell carnival cruises. I don´t say that it´s a bad choice, maybe it´s better to cruise with carnival than not cruise at all! It probably is!
Erik, the way the US economy is going I may be thrilled to go Carnival again, who knows?

My next cruise in on NCL Pearl and this will be my first NCL cruise. I am really looking forward to it.

As far as lines Iprefer I really like both Celebrity and Holland America but I cannot not afford those lines every cruise. They are a little more expensive.
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Of those three, I actually prefer RCI, then NCL. I had a bad experience on Carnival when it was a fairly new line, and I guess I haven't really forgiven them. I'm not that crazy about the free style cruising. I started out in Chandras many years ago, and that's what I'm used to. I love having the same waiters every night, you get to know them, and you learn about their homeland, you don't get that opportunity on NCL. However, you can see, I'll be traveling on NCL again in January. I'm destination driven, more than cruise line, and I haven't been to Belize and Hondorus. I agree, that most of the mass marketing cruise lines are pretty much the same. We've done HAL and Celebrity several times each, and I loved them, but probably because of the itinararies.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old October 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Yeoman

You do have the opportunity to get to know the waiters on NCL too, you can always ask to get the same waiters every night if you want to.
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Passenger

I didn't know that, and I wish I had. My daughter and her family, and my husband and I just came back from Alaska in August, and that was one thing we missed. The kids loved Royal Carib and Disney when we went on them, because the wait staff made such a fuss, making hats from napkins, and having thier appetizers ready for them when we arrived at the table each evening. How can you get the same wait staff each evening, I mean what do you have to do. ? With freestyle, you can go wherever you want at whatever time, so how can you ask for waiters who might be already serving someone else? Thanks.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old October 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Yeoman

When you come to the restaurant, just ask to be served by the same waiter as you had the last time. (of course it's best if you remember their name but if you remember where you sat, I'm sure they can help you. You can also go into the restaurant and look for them and they will help you to get the right table!)