Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Beginner

Default Our experience on the Norwegian Star

Hi everyone.
We had a fabulous time on this cruiseship and Im sure by Day 2 everyone knew us. We were 5 in our group from Brisbane Australia plus Dougally the Cancer bear which went everywhere with us. We started in Vancouver and took the coach down to Seattle for the 6th Sept cruise.
On arrival at the check-in, our suitcases were whisked away and we checked in and boarded our ship. Met a lovely lady who ushered us and we saw her again at the end of the cruise welcoming us back to Seattle. I do hope she got the little Koala I left for her. Bless her lovely smile.
Onboard the Star we made our way to the Market Cafe for some lunch and then proceeded to inspect the ship. It was awsome with so much to see. Got to our balcony cabin and our luggage was already there. The cabin was clean and certainly in excellent condition. We had level 10.
Bingo was great as each one of us 3 who shared the Meal Deal cost won the jackpot with an Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oi Oi Oi !!! The Staff Georgina and the others were all great and the Cruise Director should have his wages doubled as he was the best....and he can sing too. Each night we had an animal made from towels on our bed which was a neat after dinner surprise. The entertainment at night was superb and there was so much to do that we were never never bored. We booked alot of our tours from Brisbane over the net but did buy another White Pass rail trip while on the ship. The only disappointment was that I left my camera at the SPA/beauty salon on our 1st day while touring the ship and it wasnt sent to reception till the 6th day so no photos were taken for 6 days while I checked with reception every day for its return. I was told that all items found are sent to reception straight away so it was sad that I dont have pics of all the fun we had. Still had my video camera so counted my blessings. My husband missed going on a helicopter ride to the Glaciers as it was too windy. We had such a great time and we are planning to cruise with the Norwegian Pearl on Sept 26th 2009 thru the Panama Canal. Would anyone like to join us from our cruise Sept 6th ???? cheers Sue
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Our experience on the Norwegian Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative_occs
Hi everyone.
We had a fabulous time on this cruiseship and Im sure by Day 2 everyone knew us. We were 5 in our group from Brisbane Australia plus Dougally the Cancer bear which went everywhere with us. We started in Vancouver and took the coach down to Seattle for the 6th Sept cruise.
On arrival at the check-in, our suitcases were whisked away and we checked in and boarded our ship. Met a lovely lady who ushered us and we saw her again at the end of the cruise welcoming us back to Seattle. I do hope she got the little Koala I left for her. Bless her lovely smile.
Onboard the Star we made our way to the Market Cafe for some lunch and then proceeded to inspect the ship. It was awsome with so much to see. Got to our balcony cabin and our luggage was already there. The cabin was clean and certainly in excellent condition. We had level 10.
Bingo was great as each one of us 3 who shared the Meal Deal cost won the jackpot with an Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oi Oi Oi !!! The Staff Georgina and the others were all great and the Cruise Director should have his wages doubled as he was the best....and he can sing too. Each night we had an animal made from towels on our bed which was a neat after dinner surprise. The entertainment at night was superb and there was so much to do that we were never never bored. We booked alot of our tours from Brisbane over the net but did buy another White Pass rail trip while on the ship. The only disappointment was that I left my camera at the SPA/beauty salon on our 1st day while touring the ship and it wasnt sent to reception till the 6th day so no photos were taken for 6 days while I checked with reception every day for its return. I was told that all items found are sent to reception straight away so it was sad that I dont have pics of all the fun we had. Still had my video camera so counted my blessings. My husband missed going on a helicopter ride to the Glaciers as it was too windy. We had such a great time and we are planning to cruise with the Norwegian Pearl on Sept 26th 2009 thru the Panama Canal. Would anyone like to join us from our cruise Sept 6th ???? cheers Sue
Sue, way to go, I wish everyone enjoyed their cruises as much as your group did. It always bothers me when people come back and can't find too much positive to say. I have a couple who sailed a different line (I will leave the cruise line out) they returned this morningl They called me as soon as they got home, said the food and service ws awful, but they still had a great time. I love to hear that....

Nita
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Beginner

Thanks Nita ..... sometimes we forget that its not just the cruise ship that makes our holiday cruise wonderful but we ourselves ....just have to let our hair down and boogie with the rest .... and do the chicken dance ...
heh heh heh !!! I grabbed that chicken/rooster while checking the bingo balls one session and told it to let me win the jackpot this time round and you wouldnt believe it - Yup I won it !!!! yeah !!! God Bless you Nita
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on the Star. I've been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, so, I do have others to compare.

As far as the ship, it was fine overall. The only bad thing is, to get to the pool, you have to go through the buffet, but overall, the ship was as nice as the others. The cabins were fine, actually, there bathroom is the best.

The entertainment was on par with the others also.

Now, my complaint.

First, the food was very bland in the main dining room, very small portions and just not very creative. The buffet was, well, a typical buffet, nothing great.

Now, my biggest complaint, buit what I feel, many people like the opposite, so, it's just a matter of opionon!

I hated the freestyle!!!! For one, because you never get the same table, you don't get that intimate relationship with the same waiter and that is important, because he remembers what you like and knows your name!

Also, I like dining with the same tablemates for all 7 nights. It's great, because you get to develope a relationship with them over time, where as, on the Star, you never get the same ones on any night.

While the service was OK, you still don't get the really personal service since every night the waiter is different!

Having total strangers for all 7 nights is not good!

Finally, I love it at the end with the dancing waiters and singing waiters. You don't get that on the Star.

Having said this, no cruise is ever a bad cruise. For what we paid, it was fine, it's just we won't go on NCL again.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Beginner

It was great to see the OP here. I just finished booking the Star for the Sep 6 2009 Alaska cruise. I'll have to print out your experience so I'll have it when buyer's remorse sets it.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Beginner

I will be sailing to Alaska on May 16th also on the Star I love NCL so am looking forward to this cruise have never booked a balcony room but heard it was the only way to see Alaska, I love freestlye dinning, I like the option of eating when and where I choose, anyway what excusions did you take any information would help me out. I am leaving for Australia in 6 days on Royal Caribbean heard it was one of the best cruise lines so I'll see.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Beginner

You will love the Royal Carribean. I havent been checking this site so this reply is late. You might be here already. We sailed on this line in the Bahamss and had a fabulous time. Hope you love my country as much as we do - the people, the climate and our way of life ..... casual !!! Dont forget to slap on the sun screen or you will burn even if it looks overcast as my friend from Canada had severe burns when she went snockling on an overcast day in Cairns. Have loads of fun.
cheers
Sue 8)
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Beginner

oh my god I just returned from my Australian Cruise and it was absolutly wonderful better than I imagined it would have been I have been on several cruise before but this was the best. It was my first time on a Royal Caribbean ship and I wouldn't say I liked it better than the others I would say it was equal although I thought the shows could have been better they were good but not great anyway Australia was the best can't wait to go back but this time I would stay longer we didn't get a chance to visit Sydney (we were on a schedule and had to get back). Anyway all the ports were absolutly fantastic they told us Cooktown was ok nothing much to do there so I wasn't looking forward to that port but I could have spent more time there we went up to Mt Cook and walked around town and it was so peaceful and the people we so nice I just loved it there. So as you can see I really did enjoy it. Now I am looking forward to my Alaskan trip (first time there too), that's not till May but I'll let you know how it was.
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

what do the last 2 postings have to do with NCL, I think they belong on the RCI board, just wondering???

Nit a
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
what do the last 2 postings have to do with NCL, I think they belong on the RCI board, just wondering???

Nit a
Looks like the NCL monitor police caught the last 2 posters!