Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Default WILL NCL ALSO DROP THEIR FUEL SUR CHARGE CARNIVAL DID !

CARNIVAL RECENTLY ANNOUNCED A PLAN TO DROP THE FUEL SUPPLEMENT CHARGES ON THEIR MEMBER LINES. IF OIL PRICES STAY BELOW $70.00 PER BARREL FOR THE 25 DAYS PRIOR TO SAILING THEY WILL RETURN A FUEL SUR CHARGE TO YOU IN THE FORM OF AN ON BOARD CREDIT. IS NCL GOING TO ALSO TO DISCONTINUE THE FUEL CHARGE ? GAS PRICES BEING NOW DOWN TO WHAT THEY WERE PRIOR TO THE CHARGES BEING LEVIED I THINK IT IS ONLT FAIR. THOSE OF US WHO BOOKED EARLY SHOULD NOT BE PENILIZED FOR PLANNING AHEAD ! ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ??
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Captain

NCL once published a list of fuel surcharge rates. I believe it goes away below $50 per barrel. It could dop below $70 a barrel.

What Carnival did was a bit of a shell game they dropped the charge but raised the fares.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Beginner

ACTUALLY IT HAS ALLREADY DROPPED BELOW 70, 68 YESTERDAY, NOT LIKELY TO GO BELOW 50. I THINK CARNIVAL HAS THE RIGHT IDEA. FUEL COSTS ARE A PART OF THEM DOING BUSINESS, IT SHOULD BE FIGURED INTO THE PRICE SOMEHOW, AIRLINES AS WELL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfitzy
ACTUALLY IT HAS ALLREADY DROPPED BELOW 70, 68 YESTERDAY, NOT LIKELY TO GO BELOW 50. I THINK CARNIVAL HAS THE RIGHT IDEA. FUEL COSTS ARE A PART OF THEM DOING BUSINESS, IT SHOULD BE FIGURED INTO THE PRICE SOMEHOW, AIRLINES AS WELL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE
Well I would rather see it separately, but why are you saying it should be figured into the actually cruise price? If they do that, there is no hope of changing the price. Carnival didn't help their clients out one bit, by dropping one thing and adding another..

Nita
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: WILL NCL ALSO DROP THEIR FUEL SUR CHARGE CARNIVAL DID !

Quote:
CARNIVAL RECENTLY ANNOUNCED A PLAN TO DROP THE FUEL SUPPLEMENT CHARGES ON THEIR MEMBER LINES. IF OIL PRICES STAY BELOW $70.00 PER BARREL FOR THE 25 DAYS PRIOR TO SAILING THEY WILL RETURN A FUEL SUR CHARGE TO YOU IN THE FORM OF AN ON BOARD CREDIT. IS NCL GOING TO ALSO TO DISCONTINUE THE FUEL CHARGE ? GAS PRICES BEING NOW DOWN TO WHAT THEY WERE PRIOR TO THE CHARGES BEING LEVIED I THINK IT IS ONLT FAIR. THOSE OF US WHO BOOKED EARLY SHOULD NOT BE PENILIZED FOR PLANNING AHEAD ! ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ??
I doubt NCL will drop it, afterall, they have the highest surcharge at 11.00 per day. As for Carnival, I don't see any price increase, matter of fact, with the bad economy, my cruise in November went down in price and I got back the lower price.
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

By the time the oil is purchased, it takes three weeks before it is available as "fuel" on the market. It ain't going to happen folks - 25 days in a row under $70/barrel - not in this volatile market.

OPEC has said that it wants oil prices at $100, but they might settle on $80. What the news this week as OPEC has its summit.

"Iranian Oil Minister Gholam Hossien Nozari said Saturday that it would be "unsuitable" for both producers and consumers for oil to dip below $100 a barrel. He called on fellow OPEC members not to pump too much oil and avoid a drop in prices."

In the long term, I can see the surcharge going away being replaced by higher cruise fares to offset it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WILL NCL ALSO DROP THEIR FUEL SUR CHARGE CARNIVAL DID !

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsularoad
Quote:
I doubt NCL will drop it, afterall, they have the highest surcharge at 11.00 per day. As for Carnival, I don't see any price increase, matter of fact, with the bad economy, my cruise in November went down in price and I got back the lower price.
The prices were raised for the 2009 and 2010 sailings, no one was talking about today's sailings. NCL has also been dropping prices on cruises that are not anywhere close to sold out.
Other lines are following but none have dropped the fuel sur charge yet.l

Nita