Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Default Basic questions when dealing with TA & NCL

I just booked another cruise with NCL; the first time I've booked through a travel agent. If I want to make a payment before final payment is due, do I call up the TA or contact NCL directly? How about if I wanted to buy some OBC? I went with the TA because they had a much better rate than booking with NCL, but from here on out I'd rather deal directly with NCL, just to make sure there are no problems. Can I transfer by booking from my TA to NCL? How do I do that?
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Basic questions when dealing with TA & NCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
I just booked another cruise with NCL; the first time I've booked through a travel agent. If I want to make a payment before final payment is due, do I call up the TA or contact NCL directly? How about if I wanted to buy some OBC? I went with the TA because they had a much better rate than booking with NCL, but from here on out I'd rather deal directly with NCL, just to make sure there are no problems. Can I transfer by booking from my TA to NCL? How do I do that?
no, you can not transfer your booking and if you could that would be so unfair to the travel agent. The minute you book with an agent the reservation belongs to them so all dealings go there her/him. When you are ready to make final payment the agent will handle it, just let them know.

I do have to ask, now that you booked with an agent why would you want to deal with NCL only? This doesn't seem to make too much sense to me.

Nita
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Basic questions when dealing with TA & NCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
no, you can not transfer your booking and if you could that would be so unfair to the travel agent. The minute you book with an agent the reservation belongs to them so all dealings go there her/him. When you are ready to make final payment the agent will handle it, just let them know.

I do have to ask, now that you booked with an agent why would you want to deal with NCL only? This doesn't seem to make too much sense to me.

Nita
The agent was able to offer a better deal than if I had booked directly through NCL itself. When I booked a previous cruise on Carnival I used a travel agent rather than book right through the cruise line. I was promised OBC by the agency, but when I got on board there was no record of it. By the time it was resolved, we were home a week from our cruise. I told myself I would only deal directly with the cruise line from then on, but for this particular sailing on NCL, the agent was able to offer a cabin a few hundred dollars less than NCL. I decided to chance going with a TA again, hoping that there wont be any mix ups this time.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
no, you can not transfer your booking and if you could that would be so unfair to the travel agent. The minute you book with an agent the reservation belongs to them
There's so much I dsagree with in these statements. I ALWAYS advocate booking with a travel agent. I think they provide far superior service, and usually a better price. HOWEVER, if an agent is NOT DOING THEIR JOB there's nothing unfair about firing them, and I'd insist NCL help me make that arrangement. BUT, in the case of the original poster, just wanting to book for the cheaper price, and then see if NCL will match it won't work.

To say the poster's reservation "belong" to the travel agent is rather outrageous. The travel agent represents the person booking, and works for THEM. The travel agent owns NOTHING!

To the original poster.....If you're outside of penalty faze, you can certainly cancel and rebook, but that would mean paying NCL's price.

If the travel agent placed your deposit directly with NCL as they should have, your booking is done, and they are your representative. If the booking went through the agencies own books, and not directly to NCL, cancel and get your deposit back NOW!!

You can easily have your agent arrange to purchase an OBC, and again it should show up on your credit card as billed directly to NCL

I'm not sure why you would want to give NCL any further payments until your final payment date (or slightly before). Take any partial payments you want to make, open a savings account, and keep that money there. Better for you to gain the bit of interest earned than NCL.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
no, you can not transfer your booking and if you could that would be so unfair to the travel agent. The minute you book with an agent the reservation belongs to them
There's so much I dsagree with in these statements. I ALWAYS advocate booking with a travel agent. I think they provide far superior service, and usually a better price. HOWEVER, if an agent is NOT DOING THEIR JOB there's nothing unfair about firing them, and I'd insist NCL help me make that arrangement. BUT, in the case of the original poster, just wanting to book for the cheaper price, and then see if NCL will match it won't work.

To say the poster's reservation "belong" to the travel agent is rather outrageous. The travel agent represents the person booking, and works for THEM. The travel agent owns NOTHING!

To the original poster.....If you're outside of penalty faze, you can certainly cancel and rebook, but that would mean paying NCL's price.

If the travel agent placed your deposit directly with NCL as they should have, your booking is done, and they are your representative. If the booking went through the agencies own books, and not directly to NCL, cancel and get your deposit back NOW!!

You can easily have your agent arrange to purchase an OBC, and again it should show up on your credit card as billed directly to NCL

I'm not sure why you would want to give NCL any further payments until your final payment date (or slightly before). Take any partial payments you want to make, open a savings account, and keep that money there. Better for you to gain the bit of interest earned than NCL.
I'm looking to get the cruise paid off completely before the end of the year as I'll be paying with my NCL credit card and want to get enough points to get that next $500 certificate (which I'll mail in, and get the payment back). I think
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I'm looking to get the cruise paid off completely before the end of the year as I'll be paying with my NCL credit card and want to get enough points to get that next $500 certificate (which I'll mail in, and get the payment back). I think
Well, that makes better sense to me

If you're using the credit card, just verify that all charges are billed directly through NCL (even though they are passed on from the TA). As long as the credit card billing lists NCL everything is good.

If the TA puts any of the charges through their own agency accounts... RUN!!!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Admiral

Well, this is an interesting read. First, I wont go into a debate if you can or cannot based on some coments. I can only say, that yes, you can. I have in fact done it both ways, I have transfered over a booking to NCL and I have transfered it to a TA. For both reasons, it made sense to me, and thats all I care about. The fact that I am alloud to do it before final payment means that the rules alllow for it, and that is good enough for me.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

Kuki, I agree with you but I think you missed my point: 1-the reservation does belong to the agent in the eyes of the cruise line. I am not saying this is fair or should be, it is the way the cruiseline see it and 2-yes, if a customer gets poor service, my all means, pull the booking away from the agent, but the OP didn't say she had gotten poor service. She wanted to book with an agent to get a better deal, had no problem with the agent, but because of a previous experience wanted to, then give it to the cruise line.

She asked the agent to do the work, wanted to save money and had no intentions of staying with the agent. This is not fair to the agent. There are good and bad agents out there, but a good agent works very hard for the few bucks they earn. For someone to ask them to book something, with the idea of taking it away from them seems very unfair to me.

I also agree, if the agent puts anything through their own company something is really wrong...
Nita