Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Default First Cruise Ever...which deck shall I choose on Pearl?

After a long time of dreaming about one, the hubs & I decided to venture off on our first cruise ever! After lots of research, we decided that that the Pearl was the best fit for us with Alaska being our destination. We plan to reserve a balcony stateroom, I'm just not sure as to which deck we should go for. I was thinking about deck 10 mid-ship. I'm afraid I may get seasick and was told that mid would be better. Any input would be great! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First Cruise Ever...which deck shall I choose on Pearl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
After a long time of dreaming about one, the hubs & I decided to venture off on our first cruise ever! After lots of research, we decided that that the Pearl was the best fit for us with Alaska being our destination. We plan to reserve a balcony stateroom, I'm just not sure as to which deck we should go for. I was thinking about deck 10 mid-ship. I'm afraid I may get seasick and was told that mid would be better. Any input would be great! Thanks
WElcome to Cruise Mates and the cruising world. Mid ship is better, the higher the deck the more motion you will feel, but todays ships are pretty stable. You may want to get a balcony on deck 8. All the balcony staterooms are similar, you just pay a little more for a higher deck. We actually prefer a little lower, we are closer to the activities that way.

Nita
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

You've picked a beautiful ship for your first cruise. Congratulations!

Not meaning to argue with Nita, but there aren't many balcony cabins on deck 8 -- and none that I'd consider "mid-ship". That's the deck with the obstructed view cabins due to the lifeboats.

I'd suggest with deck 9 or deck 10. I don't know how much difference there is in the motion between the two decks, but both of them have cabins above and below so you won't be dealing with possible noise issues. See what's available nearest midship on either of those decks and you should be fine.
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

It really does not matter what deck you are on, the cabins and balcony are all the same unless you can get an aft balcony, which are the cabins in the very back of the ship. This way, you can see 180 degrees. Otherwise, all these ships have stablizers, so, whether you are on deck 5 or 12, you won't feel any difference! Therefore, I would just get the lowest price cabin with a balcony that is available. By the way, keep checking the prices, if they lower the price, you can get either credit back or ship board credit.
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Yeoman

I suggest that you book a cabin on deck 10 close to the forward stairtower.

We like that those cabins are close to the Spinnaker lounge. You have a balcony but if it's cold, the views are best from the Spinnaker lounge and it's also a great place to spend some time in the evening.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

kajunkruzer

NCL Pearl is a very nice ship.
We just got off her on 10/10/2008 after a 19 day cruise Seattle to Miami thru the Panama Canal. We had a BB balcony cabin on deck 10 port side, a great location close to the rear elevators and easy access to buffet and pool area on deck 12. As for what side of the ship is up to you (morning sunrise vs afternoon sun and the sunset). Deck 8 gives you a ocean view not a balcony. I don't think there is motion difference between deck 9 & 10 either. Take some motion pills with you on the trip just in case. Have a great cruise. Alaska is a beautiful place, been there twice.

Drew
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for the replies and input everyone! It's much appreciated!
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Choose any deck as long as it is on any cruise line but NCL! The food is bland and very boring!
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
Yeoman

The food has always been great when we have cruised on NCL!

Some people like it and some don't, only you can say what you think and for that you need to try it first!

After your NCL cruise, you will most likely be an NCL fan for the rest of your lift since you can't get any better! (at least not for the same price!)
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Very well put Erik.
80% of our cruises have been NCL our other cruises have been very good too.

Drew
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm excited to announce that I have officially booked and I have the countdown clock to prove it...lol! We wound up getting a balcony stateroom on Deck 10 port side, mid ship. I'm anxious to give NCL a chance with an open mind and a good attitude. I think it will be great and I can't wait!!!