Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
Beginner

Default Article on Concierge by Kuki

Kuki, During your blog, you stated you would be doing an article on the Jewel concierge Alex Forbes. Did I miss it, or did life events overtake it?

Al
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Al,

Yes, there is a feature coming on the job of Concierge and Alex. Unfortunately it's going to take a bit of time for me to get it done.

My father has passed away, and many things to be taken care of before I can sit down and write the story, and update the review of the Jewel.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Hi Al,

Yes, there is a feature coming on the job of Concierge and Alex. Unfortunately it's going to take a bit of time for me to get it done.

My father has passed away, and many things to be taken care of before I can sit down and write the story, and update the review of the Jewel.
Prayers to you and your family Kuki..

NIta
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

sorry for your loss.
Eric and Mary Trautmann
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I too, wish to pass on my condolences. I followed your blog and felt such compassion for you, being so far away, and not home. I am sure your Dad wanted you continue on your trip, and that he would have felt awful if you had rushed home. That is just the way parents think.

I lost my Mom Christmas day of 2002. I had taken her on a HAL ten day cruise, and had only been back two days. She never left bed on that cruise, and only ate ice cream with creme de cacao on top. I think the only words she spoke on the entire cruise were, "less ice cream please". I think the point of that story, was that it took a long time to remember her as the happy and vibrant woman she was. Given a choice, I know my Mom would have chosen that I not be there for those last days.

I also wanted to thank you for honoring your Dad, by sharing his obituary with us.

Al
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Very kind words Al!

The "Concierge article" has now been written. Will submit it, then it goes for editiing, and pretty shortly thereafter it should appear on the home page.
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Beginner

Just read the article, and saw that Alex won't be with us on our 9 day 12 Dec. Since I am in you AD, and you are a trained concierge and butler, can I expect you will be filling one of those positions? If not, did Alex give you a name of who will be replacing him?
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral
Just read the article, and saw that Alex won't be with us on our 9 day 12 Dec. Since I am in you AD, and you are a trained concierge and butler, can I expect you will be filling one of those positions? If not, did Alex give you a name of who will be replacing him?
Hope you enjoyed the article! I didn't note Alex's exact departure date, but assume it will be soon. Maybe you'll be lucky and get him for his last cruise before departing.

I haven't got the phone call yet offering me the job as his replacement

And, sorry, I didn't ask who would be taking over the position on the Jewel.
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Oh... and for those who haven't found the article yet. Here's the link....
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...rge-120108.cfm
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Just read your Blog, we are in one of the romance suites on the Jewel in April, we have never had a Butler or a Concierge. I have never cruised on Norwegian, but I have heard you have to make reservations for 'real dining room' dining, does a concierge help with that? My only experience with a concierge was getting Tee Times once while in Florida.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdherder
Just read your Blog, we are in one of the romance suites on the Jewel in April, we have never had a Butler or a Concierge. I have never cruised on Norwegian, but I have heard you have to make reservations for 'real dining room' dining, does a concierge help with that? My only experience with a concierge was getting Tee Times once while in Florida.
You'll first meet the Concierge in the VIP check in area, before even boarding the ship. The Concierge can take of dinner reservations, even on a daily basis, if you want them. We found most nights reservations weren't necessary, but if you want to be certain of a specific time or restaurant, they'll be happy to take care of it.

They can also book or cancel shore excursions for you, or spa appointments, or even arrange for reseved seats in the showroom if you'd like to sit in the area kept for suite guests. They'll also send you invitations to several cocktail parties.

Your butler will deliver daily "suite choices" from a nibblies menu you pick each day, either for 5 PM or 10 PM (your choice). If you'd like to be served dinner from any of the restaurants in your suite one evening, the butler will arrange that... or you can aks the conierge to assist in organizing it. Or, if you'd like to have a cocktail party in your suite, they can assist with that.

There's really very little the Concierge can't do for you... broken zipper, they'll get it fixed, print your airline boarding passes at the end of the cruise, private cars in ports, limo to the airport... basically, whatever might come up that pops into your head to make your cruise more enjoyable.... though Alex wouldn't bring in dancing girls for me
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Admiral

We were on this sailing of Jewel with Kuki and fortunate enough to have met Alex and no amount of praise can do justice to this warm and compassionate person. I can't think of one time that he didn't have a smile on his face or his day-timer in his hand. He simply seemed like there was nothing he would rather do than assist his passengers in any way possible.

Perhaps one day you too will get to meet Alex and I'm sure if you do you won't be disappointed.

Carnival Glory
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Beginner

I'm sorry Kuki, yes I did enjoy the article. We had Alex back in April 07 on the Pearl, and only used him for restaurant reservations, which he handled like a pro. I met others that used him extensively, and even named him magic man, I certainly agree, he is professional, and always has a smile. On the same cruise, we had Karan Arura *sp) as our butler, and he was the best. I was just hoping that he might be replacing Alex, now that he has been promoted to concierge.

Al
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Beginner

Hey Kuki. First of all, I have learned that Anca is now the concierge on the Jewel. I have it on good authority that she is also wonderful, and we won't be disappointed. Secondly, we unfortunately will not be able to enjoy 10164, but have moved to 10004. After your elevator release, I just had this terrible image of being overtaken by a left over haze, so I prayed nightly for the upsell fairies call, and she answered my prayers this morning.

On the Jewel for 9 days this Friday.

Al
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Admiral

AL,

Those owner's suites looked amazing. Hope you enjoy it. The only reason I think the aft suites are better (though likely not the cabin) is the balcony on the bow. Windy, when at sea, and curtains having to be drawn at night.

Please do come back and let us know what you think.
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Captain

Kuki I enjoyed your article and one of Alex's biggest fans. Magic Man fits him perfectly. Just one correction for those sailing on the Gem early next year like me Feb 4th. Alex will be back onboard the Gem January 14th not March 14th.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska