Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Beginner

Default question about room 5508 on Star

Can anyone tell me about room 5508 on the Star? It is an oceanview but does anyone know if it is a porthole or a window. Is this an ok room as far as noise and traffic? We have never cruised before and while I don't expect that any of us will get seasick my dh was convinced that we needed to be able to see outside, "just in case". I had previously booked an inside cabin, midship on deck 9 and when I called TA about moving to an oceanview she moved us to the front of the boat.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Captain

159 SQF.
Duvet
Refrigerator
Hair Dryer
Telephone
Safe
Television
Shower
Bed Rails
Crib
Convertible Lower Beds
Pullman Bed
Pullout Bed
Outside
Porthole

No traffic halfway up a deadend hallway

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks shoreguy. Can I ask where you found the information? I am wondering if I can search for another room that has a window that is open in the same category and change my room?
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz
Thanks shoreguy. Can I ask where you found the information? I am wondering if I can search for another room that has a window that is open in the same category and change my room?
All you need to do is go to the booking engine on NCL.com Pick a date that you are not on and should be wide open. I used Oct 2009 (slow month).

Pick your catagory and click on the cabin number the detail will come up and you can check any cabin number in the catagory with Search for a Stateroom at the bottom.

I just checked it looks like all the cabins aft of the forward elevators have picture windows (5520+) You TA has you stuffed in the bow.

I would avoid 5520 and 5612 as one wall is next to the exits they could be using for a gangway.

I would go for 5618 -> 5632 or 5118->5132

Hard to see but the bttom row of dots are the portholes on deck 4, just above the green star is the first porthole cabin on deck 5

Old December 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Beginner

Thanks again for the wonderful information. I had tried looking on ncl.com before but I didn't notice that I could click on the room number and get more detail. I was able to find a room, 5636, that is available on our sailing and have emailed our TA and asked her to move us. I really appreciate your help.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Beginner

Well no luck so far getting moved. I am starting to question why I used this TA (referred by family). I feel like I have had to direct her at every turn. Maybe I have an unrealistic idea of what TAs do but I would think that they would want to do the best for their clients that they can. I had to prompt her to find a better price to start with - she quoted me a price higher than NCL, then said that her group rate was less and in the end we went with an individual rate that she called and got from NCL while I was in the office. I should have probably done it myself but was trying to share the business since I know that they get a commission. Then when we decided to see if we could upgrade from an inside to an outside room I even gave her the room we wanted (which happened to have a window and is coincidently still available according to the website) and asked for midship but she booked us in the forward room.

I asked if she could move us to a midship picture window room in category E. Her response was that they were sold out. She said the only other category open with a window would be category G with an obstructed view of the lifeboats and it would cost more money. I know that a category G is cheaper than category E and according to the website there are at least 7 category E rooms open that are midship with a window.

I know that in the long run the room will not really matter that much and the porthole view will likely be fine but its a bit frustrating.
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Well we were able to move and are now in a cat E with a window so hopefully I can just leave my poor TA alone now. I am sure she is tired of me.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz
Well we were able to move and are now in a cat E with a window so hopefully I can just leave my poor TA alone now. I am sure she is tired of me.
Simple things just should not be this difficult.

Old December 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Beginner

I was thinking the same thing.