Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
First Mate

Sorry guys. I've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL and NCL and never had a thing to complain about. Guess that while I'm on a cruise there isn't much to complain ABOUT. When I'm on a freaking cruise - life is good!! Can I get a whoop whoop anyone?

Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_cloud
Sorry guys. I've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL and NCL and never had a thing to complain about. Guess that while I'm on a cruise there isn't much to complain ABOUT. When I'm on a freaking cruise - life is good!! Can I get a whoop whoop anyone?
it seems the poster and one other complainer have pretty much disappeared.

Nita
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

[quote="nmnita
it seems the poster and one other complainer have pretty much disappeared. Nita[/quote]

I would have used the words and "one other poster with complaints versus a personal label of "one other Complainer"
That's JMHO.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Ditto Delft. I could not agree more.

While I felt some of the posts were exagerations and lacking credibility. Others had legit complaints, like Gigi for example.

I feel NCL could have done more for her, like move the ping pong table somewhere else above a common area.
Because people have issues or complaints I certainly would not label them "complainers".

I am not a terribly sound sleeper myself and have found myself in some very loud cabins, but after a while a "cruiser" finds ways to compensate for these issues. I always travel these days with a box of earplugs, they have saved many of our trips from disaster. Sleep deprivation while on vacation is miserable.

The food complaints on NCL I have found are usually from folks who limit themselves to the main dining room and/or buffet for dinner. Breakfast is no big deal fruit, bagel with cream cheese, eggs cooked to order if you go to the dining room. Lunch? I so enjoy lunch in the dining rooms. I also really enjoy eating in a different restaurant every night. We've never found ourselves in a position where we couldn't find something appetizing to fill us up.
I have never had many complaints about cruise food, with one exception and that was Costa. We love the sushi and sometimes even get it for lunch. There's just so much there to try it's hard to believe someone left hungry.
I too doubt the claims of the poster regarding the kid's club staff. It doesn't sound as though she personally witnessed this, but it was rumored. If it did happen, then I am sure after the Hotel Director reviewed the security tapes, those young people will all be shipped out and sent home. NCL does not tolerate stuff like that.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Thank you Beenie Weenie for your comments. I am a fair person and really tried hard to deal with the noise issue. I have many wonderful things to say about NCL and would continue to be a passenger if they would have just handled the issue. It's in the past and I will focus on the wonderful memories that I shared with my family! I look forward to the excitement of planning our next cruise!

PS. I thought the food in the following was excellent!
Cagneys / Le Bistro / Lotus <==my fav! ...delicous!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Admiral

[quote=Delft]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nmnita
it seems the poster and one other complainer have pretty much disappeared. Nita[/quote

I would have used the words and "one other poster with complaints versus a personal label of "one other Complainer"
That's JMHO.
you are right, I certainly wasn't referring to Gigi, but a couple others, I should have said it differently.. I think most knew who I was referring to, or I hope they did. I will be more spacific next time.

Nita
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi669
Thank you Beenie Weenie for your comments. I am a fair person and really tried hard to deal with the noise issue. I have many wonderful things to say about NCL and would continue to be a passenger if they would have just handled the issue. It's in the past and I will focus on the wonderful memories that I shared with my family! I look forward to the excitement of planning our next cruise!

PS. I thought the food in the following was excellent!
Cagneys / Le Bistro / Lotus <==my fav! ...delicous!
The interesting thing I have seen 1000s of complaints but yours was the first about the ping pong table. Something different had to be happening on your cruise. Every cruise I have been on that table was seldom used. The issue early on with the port side ABs starting with the Jewel was the gym above all the ABs except 11530. They have added rubber mats under the machines so you no longer here passengers running at all hours of the day and night.

For the record I have stayed in every AB on the port side except 11530 on either the Gem, The Jewel, or The Pearl and never had a noise issue from the Gym. A great deal of fear prior to cruises I would however.

I was even in 11512 on the Jewel TA before they put the rubber mats in with no issues. Same cruise as Nita and she would have hear about from me had there been a problem.

Gigi sorry you happened to hit the wrong cruise to be in 11530

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
First Mate

I'm glad you had a good cruise otherwise. That is a shame.

On the Jewel the only time we had noise was when the musical shows were rehearsing. That was around 6-8 pm. A couple times it woke us up from a nap but it was time for us to get up anyway!!

Old January 24th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Passenger

Yeah...it was rather hard to relax for both of us mostly in the early afternoon when we were just hanging out and trying to enjoy the balcony. We definitely knew it was the ping pongers because we would hear stomps of feet jumping around along with "ping ping ping" when the ball would fly off the tables (there were two tables). It was rare for those tables to be unoccupied and even at times there were people waiting for their turn to play. After discussing with the front desk and being promised it would close at a reasonable hour each day and then it didn't, I resorted to a desperate measure that I wish I didn't have to! :evil: ...it was a kidnapping of the paddles. It actually felt really good to finally enjoy some peace that afternoon until.... more paddles appeared the next morning! It was the most wonderful afternoon of peace when I did that crime! I returned all the paddles to our butler on the last day of the trip and pleaded with him to discuss with his seniors for future guests. I guess we can laugh about that memory now! ...I tried!
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Captain

Even though this has become lengthy I wanted to share my 2 pennies. Now that we have a franchise I want to be fair to all the lines but I am still stuck on a key problem that was noted here....NCL had a real "not my problem" attitude when we had problems on both of their cruises (granted they were both over ten years ago). We went on to rack up forty cruise credits with "RCI" besides the franchise purchase in '07. I am currently going through training abouth the NCL product via "NCLU" and several webinars and they certainly seem to want to address problems for both the T/A and the passenger.

So for those of you who have been with "NCL" for over ten years or so, have you seen a positive improvement?

Thx, Robbie
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie H
Even though this has become lengthy I wanted to share my 2 pennies. Now that we have a franchise I want to be fair to all the lines but I am still stuck on a key problem that was noted here....NCL had a real "not my problem" attitude when we had problems on both of their cruises (granted they were both over ten years ago). We went on to rack up forty cruise credits with "RCI" besides the franchise purchase in '07. I am currently going through training abouth the NCL product via "NCLU" and several webinars and they certainly seem to want to address problems for both the T/A and the passenger.

So for those of you who have been with "NCL" for over ten years or so, have you seen a positive improvement?

Thx, Robbie
It is like two different cruise lines. I abandoned NCL after my last cruise on the Dream in 1999 per frestyle and a fleet of rag tag white ships that I first cruised on in 1989. Just my worst cruise ever. Still had a good time. I was sure freestyle was going to be a bust, something like a buffet every day, and that also kept meaway.

Returned to NCL on the Dawn in feb 2003 after many positive reviews online. I loved it. Never found a crew more focused on the pasenger. Freesytle was perfect for me. I loved the choices and no need to rush to get to my seating.

Since 2003 I have cruised on the Dawn 7 times and nver repeated the exact same itinerary. I have also had cruised on the Star,Jewel,Pearl, and Gem several times. Back on the Gem in 11 days. 25+ NCL cruises .

Is it perfect. No way. Does it work for me, perfectly. It is so nice to change plans on the fly and stop for a cocktail with friends or watch a sunset on my way to dinner and not worry about being sent to the Lido deck. Do you have to be a proactive to make the most from freestyle the answer is yes. Passengers have decisions to make everyday as to where and when to eat. Time those meals to get to the shows they want to see.

If not having to make any decisions, one more baked Alaska parde, singing waiters, wearing a Tux, or getting the waiter hustle that drags you into their family to make sure you leave something in the envelope are all important to your clients stick with a traditional ship.

If you want the option to enjoy dinner with anyone you meet onboard rather then those assigned to you sounds good have them try NCL. If being able to eat somewhere and something different every night some free some with a surcharge sounds good have them try NCL.

Advice I would give to your clients is to budget $100 pp for specialty dining. Before tey book add that to the fare and see if it works for them. Once onboard having the expectation to spend a little extra for dinner opens the value of freestyle.

Best of all I can leave my suit and tux at home allowing me to pack for today's airline rules. I still do bring a blazer and dress shirts for the dress up if you want nights or if I am lucky enoungh to get invitited to the VIP party.

The simple answer NCL is not the same product you experienced 10 years ago. It works for many but like anything not everybody.

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Rob,

I agree with everything Shoreguy has to say. As for your going through NCLU, I just finished the program. Good for you, it will help you familiarize yourself with the product and please, give them a try. If you don't you will be doing your clients and yourself a dis-service.

Nita
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Captain

Outstanding help so far, thanks so much!!
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Rob,

I agree with everything Shoreguy has to say. As for your going through NCLU, I just finished the program. Good for you, it will help you familiarize yourself with the product and please, give them a try. If you don't you will be doing your clients and yourself a dis-service.

Nita
Question for you as a TA and an NCL passenger. How good a job does NCLU do in painting the real picture of the onboard experience. Can a TA who has never been on NCL accuratly represent the product to clients based on the info in the program.

Old January 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Rob,

Nita
Question for you as a TA and an NCL passenger. How good a job does NCLU do in painting the real picture of the onboard experience. Can a TA who has never been on NCL accuratly represent the product to clients based on the info in the program.
Truth< mostly like the other internet classes, it helps us answer questions but it is more a PR thing. It is designed to sell us on things like marketing tools etc. A lot of the information is very helpful, but there is no way any of these classes can be even 50% as valuable as experiencing the product first hand. At least, if an agent can't cruise the line they certainly need to tour a few of the ships. I personally think every agent should make every attempt to cruise every line they can. If you work for a large store front agency (which are few and far between today) you can depend on others to help you sell a product. If you are home based like so many hopefully you will work for a large company and can attend conferences.

again, I do not want to play down the importance of on line classes, but they can only do so much.

Nita
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to moonie101

Well I was just on The Norwegian Dawn 16-24 2009 and it was great. It was my first cruise. The staff made it a lot of fun. I know a few of their fist names and would love to contact the ship somehow to thank them.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Captain

I agree with Nita about the courses. NCL does have a good webinar series going for us now too and one of the best aspects of that is the live Q&A. I do plan to book myself on "NCL," just not sure how soon.

Since my niche market is Law Enforcement, I routinely get asked "who do you prefer and why." I never eliminate a product but considering that I tore up my "Latitudes" card years ago, I emphasize the overall rationale in selecting a cruise or cruise line.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to moonie101

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. But when I was on a cruise, on the Dawn in January I had a blast and the crew was excellent. It was my first cruise and am ready fro another.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie101
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. But when I was on a cruise, on the Dawn in January I had a blast and the crew was excellent. It was my first cruise and am ready fro another.
I am sure many had good experiences, the OP never posted again and it has been 5 months. I don't know where he went or why he bothered.

Nita
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Default ncl best ever!

new england cruise despair,thats an old story!next time rent a house on the beach!but that would cost more ,right? or better yet ,buy some seafood and stay home.just my opinion j
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Familiar Face

I often find negative posts more amusing (and less informative) than positive posts.
I can recall, earlier this year, reading all the terrible things about Carnival cruises.
Then we went on this cruise.
I could have written dozens of negative things, like:
"It took nearly an hour to clean the salt-covered rails after a heavy wind."

Then, to expect food to compare to restaurant fare (when, on the ship, they have to feed 2500 people in a few hours) is unreasonable.

Anyway, there is absolutely [b]no way I'm going to NOT enjoy this trip[b].
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
First Mate

I never had a good time on NCL. I always had a GREAT time.
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by susierphillips
I never had a good time on NCL. I always had a GREAT time.
now that is the attitude all of us should have. I feel that way about almost every cruise I have taken.

Nita
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Default Three Strikes.....YOU'RE OUT

We have been on three Norwegian ships, Pearl, Pride of Aloha, & Dream.
All three of our cruise experiences were somewhere between poor and awful. In fact they were bad enough that my partner, David, said he wouldn't sail Norwegian even if it were a great itinerary and FREE!

We did enjoy the Baltics Itinerary on the Dream and the one saving grace was that we had virtually no days at sea. Le Bistro restaurant on the Dream was good. (We ate there 9 of 12 nights because the other food offerings were awful.)

The worst cruise of the three was on The Pride of Aloha. Our cabin steward quit on the third day and we were forced to clean and change our own cabin because hospitality would do nothing to solve the issue.

There were three foot wide diameter blood stains on the carpet and brown chocolate and/or fecal stains on the walls. The cabin was filthy and even had a used snuff can under the bed. Our bed had pubic hair as did the bathroom toilet and sink. I won't go further because it gets much worse.

Our ten pages of complaints were 100% ignored.

I'm sure that some NCL paid watchdog will dispute my comments but they are true and not exagerated, period!

And just in case one might think we are complainers, we have been on 27 other cruises on RCCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity etc. and NEVER been disappointed.

There have been some minor issues on other cruises but nothing by comparison.
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Three Strikes.....YOU'RE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
We have been on three Norwegian ships, Pearl, Pride of Aloha, & Dream.
All three of our cruise experiences were somewhere between poor and awful. In fact they were bad enough that my partner, David, said he wouldn't sail Norwegian even if it were a great itinerary and FREE!

We did enjoy the Baltics Itinerary on the Dream and the one saving grace was that we had virtually no days at sea. Le Bistro restaurant on the Dream was good. (We ate there 9 of 12 nights because the other food offerings were awful.)

The worst cruise of the three was on The Pride of Aloha. Our cabin steward quit on the third day and we were forced to clean and change our own cabin because hospitality would do nothing to solve the issue.

There were three foot wide diameter blood stains on the carpet and brown chocolate and/or fecal stains on the walls. The cabin was filthy and even had a used snuff can under the bed. Our bed had pubic hair as did the bathroom toilet and sink. I won't go further because it gets much worse.

Our ten pages of complaints were 100% ignored.

I'm sure that some NCL paid watchdog will dispute my comments but they are true and not exagerated, period!

And just in case one might think we are complainers, we have been on 27 other cruises on RCCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity etc. and NEVER been disappointed.

There have been some minor issues on other cruises but nothing by comparison.
Chuck, this isn't the first time you have posted something like this, I wonder why, after your bad experience on POA and Dream you decided to cruise NCL again? BTW of course your 10 page complaint letter was ignored. Someone should have told you, the minute a company sees a letter more than a page or so long it is filed in the trash can. As for paid watchdogs, I don't think there are any here, but who knows?

Nita
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Admiral

The ten pages of complaints were given to the purser over several visits over the seven day period of the cruise. The pursers wrote down the complaints themselves as we were explaining the serious problems.
We did not send a complaint to corporate offices. We did explain the problems to our "Personal Cruise Consultant" when she called us a couple of weeks later, trying to sell us another cruise. She was a very nice lady by the way, that did not try to dispute our reflections. She spoke of many other very serious problems, especially on the Hawaiian cruise itineraries with American crews.

A filthy cabin and no cabin steward for 4 and a half days of a seven night cruise, is totally wrong. Ignoring these and many other serious problems is revolting. Remember this is supposed to be a vacation, not an act of torture.

There was only one issue that management tried to fix. That was the three foot blood stain on the carpet. They examined it and admitted it was blood. They tried to clean it unsuccessfully and left the rug with about 1/2 inch of water and cleaning fluid. Our floors were sopping wet for 3 1/2 days. Everytime we went to the bathroom, we were forced to wade our way into the bathroom. We had to put sneakers on in the middle of the night to avoid walking through the wet bloody slime in our bare feet. This was disgusting.

You were not there Nita. I tried not to get graphic in my original post, but now feel compelled to do so.

By the way i always believe in giving companies a couple of tries, knowing that things can go wrong.

Our subset of problems spanning over three cruises, one 12 day, one 7 day, and one shorter cruise, have led us to believe that NCL offers an inferior product that does not meet our needs. And trhat's the truth.

By the way, we have the name address and phone number of the people that were staying in the cabin next to us. They are willing to support our claims should you not believe them.

Why am I posting on this thread? I hope that others will think about my experiences when making their cruise decisions. I want my fellow travelers to have a good cruise experience. Also I hope that some day NCL will begin caring about customer service.

I guess my question might be...Why do you ALWAYS defend NCL? Are you their "Personal Spin Doctor?"
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378
Default Re: Worst trip I took in 25 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmommaneo
The line for complaints on board was long every night Forget the food the filthy ship the sewage problem people getting sick and customer service non existence the worst is the safety of the children Me and alot of other moms found out that the people who were watching are kids kept leaving and at one time or another they were drunk Im still waiting for call backs that I dont think will come if any one knows of a person I can speak to directly let me know
calling is fine write a detailed letter w/out threats and they will respond. We had a few issues on our honeymoon and they made it right with us.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default NCL GEM TRANSATLANTIC 11/29/09

We are scheduled on a t/a on the NCL Gem the end of November.. Have not experienced the complete "free style yet"..BUT I have heard it from the best authority..somebody who works on one of the ships in a management position that the Gem and Jade, I don't remember what she said about the Jewel or Pearl.. are the best ships..A contributor to this board just came back and word is it "more than met her expectations".. Having sailed NCL many times and Celebrity and just recently Princess I look forward to the new experience.. I dont expect it to have the service level of Celebrity, but I'm open to new experiences.. Princess was certainly a major disappointment compared to Celebrity. With a bit of luck we will be doing the NCL Spirit from Boston to Bermuda exactly one year from now.. it will be our 13th or 14th cruise from Boston there.. The Spirit is not a cookie cutter ship and has an oriental theme and of course beautiful Bermuda.. As far as I am concerned for good or bad.. NCL has been a leader in the cruise industry with their "free style".. other lines calling their programs by other names.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: NCL GEM TRANSATLANTIC 11/29/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
We are scheduled on a t/a on the NCL Gem the end of November..
Let us know how y'all like the Gem.

We're going next year and KNOW we'll enjoy it !
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/cruise-gem.htm
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL GEM TRANSATLANTIC 11/29/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pJames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
We are scheduled on a t/a on the NCL Gem the end of November..
Let us know how y'all like the Gem.

We're going next year and KNOW we'll enjoy it !
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/cruise-gem.htm
VENICE...WOW..You have a lovely itinerary, but we are spoiled by the trans-atlantics. We start out in Barcelona.. a favorite city (our 4th time going out of there.lol) Cannes, Florence, Rome, Corsica, Malaga and the rest of the days at sea..13 days. We got a steal on a mini-suite..but interested in your comment about needing a wheel chair as Parrot Pop will most likely be using a "rollator".. Next fall we are considering the Celebrity Equinox t/a for 14 days.. and that leaves from Rome and goes to Florence. We already have two private tours booked for Rome and Florence this year..