Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Default NCL-- Never Again!

I am a frequent cruiser, but after this last experience on the Norweigan Dawn, my friends and I will no longer sail with them. We did the Canada/New England 7 day out of Manhattan. The food was really bad...even in the "extra cost" dining rooms. The dining service was also lousy and took a very long time.
The cruise staff didn't make any effort to see that the guests were having fun. For example, they never announced that the pool party was cancelled due to windy weather. So we left after no one showed up. The next day, we heard rumors that it was rescheduled, but once again there was no announcement and it was cancelled again because no one showed up!! This staff didn't want to do any more than they had to.
Also, they were so disorganized when we arrived in ports. We missed a tour and they made no effort to make it up to us. We complained (which I RARELY do) but I got the impression they didn't really care. Well, they certainly lost my business forever!
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL-- Never Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebaby1
I am a frequent cruiser, but after this last experience on the Norweigan Dawn, my friends and I will no longer sail with them. We did the Canada/New England 7 day out of Manhattan. The food was really bad...even in the "extra cost" dining rooms. The dining service was also lousy and took a very long time.
The cruise staff didn't make any effort to see that the guests were having fun. For example, they never announced that the pool party was cancelled due to windy weather. So we left after no one showed up. The next day, we heard rumors that it was rescheduled, but once again there was no announcement and it was cancelled again because no one showed up!! This staff didn't want to do any more than they had to.
Also, they were so disorganized when we arrived in ports. We missed a tour and they made no effort to make it up to us. We complained (which I RARELY do) but I got the impression they didn't really care. Well, they certainly lost my business forever!
you say the food was really bad, can you give an example? Which sprecialty dining rooms did you choose to eat in and what was the problem? It seems to me, if things were that bad you wouldn't have waited almost 2 months to post??

You say you are a frequent cruiser, what lines have you cruised and was this your first NCL cruise?

Could they have announced the cancellation of the party but you didn't hear it? We noticed on our recent Spirit cruise if you were in your cabin you could not hear announcements. What do you mean you missed a tour and they made no attempt to make it up to you? Was this an NCL tour and are you saying you paid for it but they did nothing? You are really give us very vague examples with no real detail..

I was not on your cruise, but can assure you, what you are saying and what we found on our cruise last week are total opposites.

Nita
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - the details on what happened wit the tour should be given before one complains. if the time & meeting place was clearly stated and YOU were the one who was disorganized then it isn't their fault.

I do understand how it is when schedules get changed around on ships. If there is a schedule change for a tour meeting time or place they should send a note to your room, otherwise I agree with you they should make up for it.
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Passenger

I believe all the Norwegian line is similar to your experience. Ours was on the Gem.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jondirk

Wow, it's always amazing to hear about such negative experiences. My very first cruise was on the NCL Sky to Alaska. What a magnificent experience, from the food, to the entertainment. Of course, this was my first cruise so I thought maybe I was a little prejudiced.

My second cruise was on Princess to the Mexican Riviera. We had a blast but I felt the food was better on NCL and the entertainment was 100x better.

For our third cruise we intentionally searched for a Caribbean cruise on NCL since I had such a good experience. We leave out of Miami on January 24th on the Spirit and I can't wait. Still waiting to experience that "unenjoyable" cruise.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondirk
Wow, it's always amazing to hear about such negative experiences. My very first cruise was on the NCL Sky to Alaska. What a magnificent experience, from the food, to the entertainment. Of course, this was my first cruise so I thought maybe I was a little prejudiced.

My second cruise was on Princess to the Mexican Riviera. We had a blast but I felt the food was better on NCL and the entertainment was 100x better.

For our third cruise we intentionally searched for a Caribbean cruise on NCL since I had such a good experience. We leave out of Miami on January 24th on the Spirit and I can't wait. Still waiting to experience that "unenjoyable" cruise.
I am not certain if the views on cruising, like so many things are objective or if some people just expect too much, maybe some are way to picky. I would guess that is most of it.

On another thread I read the last 15 reviews on the Spirit, all since she came out of dry dock: Breakdown, 1 person gave her a one rating, 1 gave her a 2 and one a 3. All the rest rated her 4s and 5s, with mostly 5s. Does this mean 12 out of 15 are too easy to please or the 2 that rated their cruise a one or two are blaming NCL for problems out of the companies control...??

Nita
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Default Worst trip I took in 25 years

The line for complaints on board was long every night Forget the food the filthy ship the sewage problem people getting sick and customer service non existence the worst is the safety of the children Me and alot of other moms found out that the people who were watching are kids kept leaving and at one time or another they were drunk Im still waiting for call backs that I dont think will come if any one knows of a person I can speak to directly let me know
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Captain

Default Re: Worst trip I took in 25 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmommaneo
The line for complaints on board was long every night Forget the food the filthy ship the sewage problem people getting sick and customer service non existence the worst is the safety of the children Me and alot of other moms found out that the people who were watching are kids kept leaving and at one time or another they were drunk Im still waiting for call backs that I dont think will come if any one knows of a person I can speak to directly let me know
Gee welcome. I am sorry but I find it imposible to believe one word you posted.

Who was drunk the other moms

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:

shoreguy, you and I have both cruised enough to know these statements are totally hog wash. I don't think the poster even mentioned which ship. I know if I even suspected a child care professional had even as much as sipped a drink while my kids were in their care I wouldn't have to wait for a call back, it would have been handled before I even left the ship, how about you? It would be nice to know how she fuund out the councilors were drunk.

Nita
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Quote:

shoreguy, you and I have both cruised enough to know these statements are totally hog wash. I don't think the poster even mentioned which ship. I know if I even suspected a child care professional had even as much as sipped a drink while my kids were in their care I wouldn't have to wait for a call back, it would have been handled before I even left the ship, how about you? It would be nice to know how she fuund out the councilors were drunk.

Nita
I think everyone is back in school on Monday

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Beginner

There were several accounts of seeing them drinking on New Years Eve
and leaving thier posts unfortunately I did not find out until the next day and did speak to reception they are pulling the film which will naturally show the truth just trying to warn people I will also be calling the Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco they were giving free champagne to the minors and not checking cards it was the Norwegian Sky be careful its not your child next
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
and leaving thier posts unfortunately I did not find out until the next day and did speak to reception they are pulling the film which will naturally show the truth just trying to warn people I will also be calling the Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco they were giving free champagne to the minors and not checking cards it was the Norwegian Sky be careful its not your child next
again, I have trouble believing this. Of course you know by reporting it you will have to prove it, plus you are aware, the ship isn't registered int America. BTW, would you like to tell us who told you these stories about the councilors leaving the kids alone and giving under age kids champange?

Nita
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
again, I have trouble believing this. Of course you know by reporting it you will have to prove it, plus you are aware, the ship isn't registered int America. BTW, would you like to tell us who told you these stories about the councilors leaving the kids alone and giving under age kids champange?

Nita

I too have a hard time believing this. Most of the crew are working to support their families back home and are not going to put their jobs on the line. If this was true, why wasn't it taken care of on the ship by you or the parents. The reception desks are open 24 hours in person or by room phone.
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Nita,

It sounds like you are an employee of NCL who monitors the forums and always defends the cruise line no matter what. Why else are you on all the NCL forums?

Everyone on the forum cannot be lying.
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaka
Nita,

It sounds like you are an employee of NCL who monitors the forums and always defends the cruise line no matter what. Why else are you on all the NCL forums?

Everyone on the forum cannot be lying.
Flaka, all on the forums could not be lieing? What do you call all? Have many forums have you read or been on other than CruiseMates, how many have suggested the kids councilors were drunk or giving drinks to kids? At last count, 1...unless I am missing something.

Do I work for NCL? Nope, but sometimes wish I did. Do I have a reason to be on these threads? Well, yes, a couple. 1-these are open threads and I am not aware anyone has to explain why they are here and 2-it is part of my job to see what is being said about various lines and ships.

As for defending NCL, if you really read what I write, I often do not defend them, I think all lines as well as all people can improve, I do question comments that are taken out of context or exagerated. You know, like 1/2 the ship had upper resp infections...

Nita
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Passenger

I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are frequent cruisers and never again on the NCL lines. It it so very disappointing to spend that kind of money and a vacation turn out so badly. We were in a Penthouse and it was a complete waste of money. Not due to the room but all of the ping pongers and non-caring staff surrounding us. The room was sooo loud, you couldn't even hear yourself think. Halfway thru the cruise, I finally figured out that if I was in the room, I would just wear my iPod and turn it up but my poor husband and child...they were just miserable too. The cruise staff did NOTHING to remedy the situation. All of this coupled with the attitude of the restaurant staff was a huge disappointment. I didnt expect the staff to be so non-caring. To me, part of a cruise is experiencing the friendly happy faces of the staff. It was pretty much non-existant.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Please tell me its not so ,we are about to go on our first cruise feb.4, on the Gem..does anyone have any good things to say? THANKS, DONNAL
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Yes, Donna, there are good things to be said. We were on the Dawn last December. We were disappointed in the food quality in the pay-extra restaraunts, but the main dining room was excellent and we had extremely good food service. I also loved their breakfast buffet on the Lido. I like to start my mornings on a cruise up on deck and usually don't enjoy the food. But, NCL had a great variety and short lines.
The entertainment was also the best we've ever seen on a cruise. Three of the big production shows instead of two and they were great fun. Even had some Cirque de Soleil in there.
So, worry not. Look for the good things and you will find them.
Happy sailing,
Marty
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi669
I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are frequent cruisers and never again on the NCL lines. It it so very disappointing to spend that kind of money and a vacation turn out so badly. We were in a Penthouse and it was a complete waste of money. Not due to the room but all of the ping pongers and non-caring staff surrounding us. The room was sooo loud, you couldn't even hear yourself think. Halfway thru the cruise, I finally figured out that if I was in the room, I would just wear my iPod and turn it up but my poor husband and child...they were just miserable too. The cruise staff did NOTHING to remedy the situation. All of this coupled with the attitude of the restaurant staff was a huge disappointment. I didnt expect the staff to be so non-caring. To me, part of a cruise is experiencing the friendly happy faces of the staff. It was pretty much non-existant.
Was this a problem because you were on NCL or a problem with the room location. Being frequent cruisers if you were in a cabin in the same area on another line wouldn't it be just as loud. Room location is important no matter what cruise line your on.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Bentnail: ALL Penthouses are located on deck 11. Fortunately, five are located beneath the spa on the starboard side. Unfortunately, we were on the port side and in the worse location possible being right beneath the ping pong tables. The other portsided penthouses are located under the gym. It wasn't only the location but also being lied to over and over that they would close the tables. We were told many times they would close the tables and it never once happened. We were offered a free dinner cover charge for our inconvenience in the restaurant of our choice. A $40 offer is not what we were after since we spent over $6000 on this vacation. Money was not the issue...enjoying a long planned and much needed vacation was what we desired. We have been in a Grand Suite on RCI many times with no problems anything like this (located one floor under the pool deck). I also noticed a big difference in the staff and level of service on NCL vs. RCI. I am not very picky and actually am very low maintanence as I work in the hotel / restaurant business. My husband and I, along with six other family members decided there was a big difference in NCL vs. RCI after this trip. They were booked in Minisuites but their problems were dining experiences as people have previously mentioned.

Donna: You should be okay if your room is not located on the 11th floor and on the port side. Hopefully not, if so, I would do everything I could to relocate. Take a hard look at the deck plans and try to switch asap. We never thought a Penthouse would be in such a bad location...not the crew's faullt - but non-caring attitudes and constant lying is a problem in my book.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Passenger

We were on the pearl in august, and will be again in a week. We were with my Daughter and her family. One of the counselors had come from another NCL ship, and recognized her children from a previous Bahama cruise at kids camp, Gave them a big hello, and made the kids feel at home immediately. I can't say enough about the kids staff, they were great, friendly, and certainly caring for their charges. The food was good, I sent one dinner back because it contained a vegetable I'm alergic to, so I ordered something else, and I was surprised at how quickly it arrived. I admit, I prefer lines where I have the same waiters every night, but certainly the wait staff was very cordial. we are frequent cruisers and have been on numerous lines. NCL is not my favorite, but for the value they give at the price, they are very good. I wouldn't be going again if I didn't think so.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old January 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Beginner

I also find these allegations hard to believe.
I have cruised NCL 4 times - Majesty twice, Spirit, and Gem once each
and have had a terrific vacation on all these ships.
I have heard people on board complaining about different things,
but in my opinion, there are some people that just can't be satisfied.
On all these cruises the variety, quality, and quantity of food was very good.
All the ships were almost spotlessly clean, and all the crew were polite,
friendly, and attentive to my needs.
I will have no trouble using NCL again, and am right now looking to book
my next Free Style cruise.

And NO, I am not an NCL employee.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Chris, Caretaker and other NCL Fans: I'm glad that you had wonderful experiences aboard NCL's fleet. That is my wish for all cruisers as I am a huge fan of cruising! There's nothing better than saving up, planning a vacation, enjoying the anticipation of a great trip and then it all coming to pass the way you hoped. But, you really should also be open minded enough to understand that there are times your particular experience is just not the same for everyone. My husband and I are NOT people who are hard to please! Our desire was to have an enjoyable vacation and unless you were in our room, you will continue to be defensive. I would have felt differently if NCL staff would not have lied to me multiple times and actually tried to put forth an effort to remedy the situation. If there was nothing they could do, I could have dealt with the truth much better than holding onto hope that they would fix the problem. I am simply trying to save a future guest the same frustrations that we encountered. The best thing that could happen is that NCL fix these issues for future cruisers.

Chris: I have one suggestion to you on your next NCL Pearl cruise- request Penthouse 11530! Maybe you will be more understanding of our experience after you've spent an entire week and A LOT of money on this suite! As you say, you do not believe my "allegations", but I feel strongly that you will quickly change your position.
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

How do you feel NCL should fix these issues for future cruisers.

You said "We were offered a free dinner cover charge for our inconvenience in the restaurant of our choice. A $40 offer is not what we were after", did you accept their dinner offer.

Working in the hotel / restaurant business I'm sure they have problems how do they handle it. I have been in restaurants where the bar noise is loud but I don't expect them to close it down.

A cruise line can't close down areas like the gym - ping pong tables - even the rear grill because the chairs make noise.

All eight in your party were unhappy with NCL.
You have almost the same post on other threads here.
You were not happy with NCL, from reading all your other posts.
You didn't get what you wanted so maybe RCCL is the better fit for you.

Lets hear from others who stayed in Penthouse 11530, are the ping pong tables that loud and played from sun up to sun set.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Bentnail:

NCL could have looked into a different location for the tables as I saw many other open areas which were not right above staterooms. I didn't expect them to close the tables permanently for the entire week but at a certain time each evening would have been acceptable and very nice. We were TOLD they would close them at a certain time each afternoon but that never happen.

We did not accept the one time offer of free cover charge because we were not after refunds or money. We simply desired some enjoyable time in our cabin! Being in the hotel business, many complaints are just a ploy for refunds or money. As I said, we were not after money!

You ask me how I would have handled? I would have followed thru with what I promised. If I stated "the tables will close at 4pm"...it would have happened. If I could not do anything to help the guest, I would have stated that nothing could be done and I was apoligize. Lying to your guests is not the answer! This happened over and over and over.

As far as your comment on being in a restaurant w/ a loud bar adjacent...you cannot compare that situation to ours. You were in there for maybe 1- 1.5 hours...try being in your living space for 7 days and dealing with what we did. I didn't expect them to close down an entire restaurant or gym. Just scheduling a close time on the table tennis would have been reasonable.

The other people traveling with us were unhappy with their dining experiences and the staff's attitude. They noticed quite a difference between NCL and other cruise lines. To me, these issues are no reason to never cruise with NCL again but when you go thru what my husband and I did with the noise, you would be much more understanding.

I welcome other guest comments who have stayed in 11530. With all said, I wish you, Bentnail, would please go on the Pearl and stay in 11530! Hopefully, they have done something to remedy the location of these tables for future guests.

Isn't the purpose of this site to express concerns or questions in order to help other cruisers instead of attacking and doubting truths? I'm a very caring and helpful person who just wishes everyone to have an enjoyable vacation. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions without being attacked.
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your explainations are well put.
Not going any future on this post.
We are getting off the OP's topic.
Thank you
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna3798
Please tell me its not so ,we are about to go on our first cruise feb.4, on the Gem..does anyone have any good things to say? THANKS, DONNAL
there are many posts on other forum that are talking about the lack of control over the holidays, food fights even on HAL, kids running all over the place, even senior adults acting up more like 3 year olds the 70 plus somethings. I don't know what happened this past Christmas to NYears, but every single line has passenges complaining...

As for location and noise, this is something you should discuss with your travel agent. He or she can help you figure out what is best for you.

My objection to this posting is the alledged drinking of the camp counsilors or saying they were giving wine to teens. I will say and repaeat as often as need be, I do not believe this for one minute.

Nita
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Lots of good things to say. Keep in mind those with a complaint are far more likely to go on the internet to vent. With 2500 passengers a week on the Gem very few have issues.

I am on the Gem Feb 4th as well and it will be my 3rd time on this ship and the 6th time I sailed out of NYC in Feb. You are going to love the Gem. A beautiful ship, great crew, and excellent officers.

Prem is the Hotel director and is always willing to address any issues should they arise. Don't hesitate to contact him if you encounter any problems.

Old January 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Lots of good things to say. Keep in mind those with a complaint are far more likely to go on the internet to vent. With 2500 passengers a week on the Gem very few have issues.

I am on the Gem Feb 4th as well and it will be my 3rd time on this ship and the 6th time I sailed out of NYC in Feb. You are going to love the Gem. A beautiful ship, great crew, and excellent officers.

Prem is the Hotel director and is always willing to address any issues should they arise. Don't hesitate to contact him if you encounter any problems.
Shoreguy, The Gem sounds great from your experiences. I wish we could have had Prem for our Hotel Director on the Pearl. Maybe things would have been different for us. The Pearl is absolutely gorgeous in decor and I really loved our suite layout along with the amenities it offered.
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks Shoreguy, maybe we"ll see you there!!!!! Donna