Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Miami transfers from Fort Lauderdale - best options?

We are sailing on the Pearl from the Port of Miami on 2/22/09 and the only directt flights from Buffalo land at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and we need to transfer to the port. We did the same thing last year and took the NCL shuttle which cost $40 pp at that time. We have been told by our TA that the cost has risen to $60 pp this year.

I know that the NCL shuttle is a good bet since they will look out for you and make sure that you get to the ship and back. However, we do have an early arrival time to allow for any delays, etc.

Question: What other options are available that contributors to this site might have taken in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area? I checked the internet but so far the only transfers that I have found that are lower cost per person, require a minimum of 4 people. It will be just the two of us so, but before I reserve the NCL shuttle, I thought I would put it out there.

-thanks for your advise, -Jim
(Snowing and 32 degrees in Buffalo at this writing)
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took a cab from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and it was $75 so $60 isn't to bad.
Bob
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Miami transfers from Fort Lauderdale - best options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
We are sailing on the Pearl from the Port of Miami on 2/22/09 and the only directt flights from Buffalo land at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and we need to transfer to the port. We did the same thing last year and took the NCL shuttle which cost $40 pp at that time. We have been told by our TA that the cost has risen to $60 pp this year.

I know that the NCL shuttle is a good bet since they will look out for you and make sure that you get to the ship and back. However, we do have an early arrival time to allow for any delays, etc.

Question: What other options are available that contributors to this site might have taken in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area? I checked the internet but so far the only transfers that I have found that are lower cost per person, require a minimum of 4 people. It will be just the two of us so, but before I reserve the NCL shuttle, I thought I would put it out there.

-thanks for your advise, -Jim
(Snowing and 32 degrees in Buffalo at this writing)
is that $60 per person round trip? If so, that is a good deal, grab it..

As for the snow and temp in Buffalo, here in NWA it is 27 but only a few snow flurries earlier this morning.

Nita
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

For a one day rental with Hertz we were about 40.00 for a compact car (we ended up with that new style of a Ford Taurus SUV). We rented on our after cruise drive from Miami to FLL. Cheaper than the transfers and cheaper than a cab. We took our time and drove up stopping in South Beach, Hollywood, etc and visited each of the beaches.

We signed up for the #1 club so all our info was in their system, walked up to the kiosk and got our car. We were thru the car rental process so fast, it was unbelievable. Plus to that #1 club give a great discount!!!
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Beginner

We paid $20 a person each way for our transfer from Fort Lauderdale to the Port of Miami for our cruise that leaves this Friday. NCL has transfers and they were the cheapest I found out of looking into several methods (rental car, taxi, shuttle, etc.)
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

You can get a quote from GoShuttle
http://www.floridalimo.com/
I tried and got a quote of $48.30 for 2 in a shared van. Hope this helps.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
For a one day rental with Hertz we were about 40.00 for a compact car (we ended up with that new style of a Ford Taurus SUV). We rented on our after cruise drive from Miami to FLL. Cheaper than the transfers and cheaper than a cab. We took our time and drove up stopping in South Beach, Hollywood, etc and visited each of the beaches.

We signed up for the #1 club so all our info was in their system, walked up to the kiosk and got our car. We were thru the car rental process so fast, it was unbelievable. Plus to that #1 club give a great discount!!!
Did they charge any drop off fee--picked up at one location and drop off at another they sometime charge for that.

We did the car rental thing in LA to Long Beach air port, had the car for the day and it was cheaper than taxi and we had a lot more time and fun, we booked a late flight out. If it works for you it is the better way to go. The car rental company picked us up at the dock.
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentnail
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID

Did they charge any drop off fee--picked up at one location and drop off at another they sometime charge for that.

We did the car rental thing in LA to Long Beach air port, had the car for the day and it was cheaper than taxi and we had a lot more time and fun, we booked a late flight out. If it works for you it is the better way to go. The car rental company picked us up at the dock.
normally Florida does not have drop off fees. We have often rented cars there, picked up one place, dropped off a totally different location. It is certainly worth a phone call or email inquirey..

Nita
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

I appreciate all of the constructive responses. I will start making some calls and see what I come up with. -jim

Currently 25 degrees and freezing rain and freezing fog in Buffalo at this writing.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
I appreciate all of the constructive responses. I will start making some calls and see what I come up with. -jim

Currently 25 degrees and freezing rain and freezing fog in Buffalo at this writing.
With only 2 people the NCL transfer makes a lot of sense. Even if you look at the shared van above add a tip and you are almost the same price.

Rental car is clearly the answer if you were coming in the day before. By the time you all the bags to the rental car, drive to the pier, drop off one of you with the bags, return the car, and take a cab back to the pier the mrning is shot and you are stressed out.

The best part of the NCL transfer is handing off your bags at the airport and never dealing with them again until they show up at your cabin. The worst part is if your timing is off a bit waiting for additional flights to fill the bus

Once you get to 3 or more then Cabs and car services start to make sense.

MIA the cab is King

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to everyone who wrote in on this topic. After weighing all the options we are booking the NCL transfers. We can use the money that we are saving from the discontinuation of the fuel surcharge to pay for this.
-Jim
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
First Mate

We've booked http://www.ridesas.com/ for $15 per person each way (there are 2 of us)....FLL to port of Miami and back from port to FLL... for our Jan. cruises. Cheapest we've paid so far!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Hey Jim,

Same problem, we are going on our 1st cruise on NCL Sky. I seen the same cost 120-160 for my family of 4.

I found this option, Take a train from FLL to Miami Airport.

http://www.tri-rail.com

Only $12 for all of us, then a $24 cab ride.

I am in Cheektowaga NY.