Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Yeoman

Default Are the Garden Villas too big?

Just once I would love to get the best possible cabin, that must be the Garden Villas but why are they so big?

I don't mind that the livingarea is big but why three bedrooms? In my opinion it's stupid to pay for three bedrooms if you only need one! No matter how much money I had, I would think it's stupid!

Shouldn't it be much better to place two Courtyard Villas outside every Garden Villa with the possibility to open up for those who wants too?

Of course even families book the Garden Villas and they might want the three bedrooms but I think that a very big part of the cruisepassengers are couples and they don't need three bedrooms!
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Captain

I have stayed in the Dawn Garden Villa. It was not two big for the two of us The two other bedrooms are a small % of the overall private space you have access to. The GV really came to life when we invited 10 or 20 others to join us and enjoy the space.

The fact is on most cruises that space is boked by parties of more then 2. They only way the economics really work.

If you want the best of the best for 2 then the AA and A2 Owners Suites are your best options. All the perks of the GV and 1/3 the space and price.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yeoman

I'm sure that the Owners Suites are good enough for me but they are not the highest category cabins!

My guess is that most people are willing to pay really much money for one vacation in their life, their honeymoon (of course I know that many people never get married and a lots of people get married more than once!), and they probably want their own cabin then! I can't understand why some people wants to have their family or friends with them on their honeymoon but if I wanted that, I should prefer that they had their own cabin!

If many families wants to have a big cabin, why are there so few familycabins in the lower categories? Why are there no three bedroom inside cabins or standard balcony cabins?

This is not a problem but I don't like that I never will be able to cruise in the best possible cabin, at least not without feeling stupid for having two empty bedrooms!
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The suites on the newer NCL ships are all absolutely stunning. Just pick the floorplan you like. It isn't the size that makes them so grand, it is the finishings. They have bright colors, huge flat-panel televisions, baby grand pianos, hot tubs on the decks, amazing bathrooms with tubs with picture window views. They have some of the nicest suites at sea - certainly the most enlivening.

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
This is not a problem but I don't like that I never will be able to cruise in the best possible cabin, at least not without feeling stupid for having two empty bedrooms!
No problem. I cruised solo in an A3. I just turned the second beroom into the luggage room. You could make the third bedroom in th GV as the coat room. No more feeling stupid

Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Are the Garden Villas too big?

Quote:
Just once I would love to get the best possible cabin, that must be the Garden Villas but why are they so big?

I don't mind that the living area is big but why three bedrooms? In my opinion it's stupid to pay for three bedrooms if you only need one! No matter how much money I had, I would think it's stupid!

Shouldn't it be much better to place two Courtyard Villas outside every Garden Villa with the possibility to open up for those who wants too?

Of course even families book the Garden Villas and they might want the three bedrooms but I think that a very big part of the cruise passengers are couples and they don't need three bedrooms!
Erik, I saw a video of one on youtube. The man who took it had not only his wife, but son and daughter-in-law, grandson and daughter with him.

He and his wife had the master, which was luxurious, a HUGE room, and jacuzzi tub bath with lots of marble; the son and and wife had another room which was as nice as a mini suite, their bath looked pretty much as our mini suite bath looked. It was very nice, though not nearly as luxurious as the master, and the the daughter and grandson shared the smallest room with two twin beds, and they had a very small bath with a shower. (About on par with an inside stateroom)

Also, they also had a huge living area, their own cabanas and hot tub, and a HUGE balcony-plus they also had a pool that they shared with the other suite guests.

It is too rich for my blood - I was thrilled with having a minisuite-but I could see someone who was wealthy enough, would perhaps want this. I imagine though to that person $5000 would be like $100 to me.

So perhaps, someone who is fairly wealthy, but not still in the "charter your own yacht" class-would like the villas.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You know - the pricing on suites is funny. No one ever really explains how they work. I gues the first & second pay the full price, but thwe additional people have got to be at a lower rate.

Say a ship has four top level suites that hold eight people - for the price of one you could get all four suites - does that make sense? No. But you won't see the total price online.

If there is anyone where who can tell me how the pricing works on these top suites I would like to hear it. Even many TAs don't know.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Yeoman

I can't see anything bad with putting two Courtyard Villas outside each Garden Villa with the possibility to connect them to one big suite. Even those who wants three bedrooms can enjoy them that way.

Even if I cruised with family and friends, I should like to have my own livingroom instead of sharing it with the rest of the family, of course I should still invite them there for most of the time but I would prefer to be able to keep them out too.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I can't see anything bad with putting two Courtyard Villas outside each Garden Villa with the possibility to connect them to one big suite. Even those who wants three bedrooms can enjoy them that way.

Even if I cruised with family and friends, I should like to have my own living room instead of sharing it with the rest of the family, of course I should still invite them there for most of the time but I would prefer to be able to keep them out too.
Erik, you and your family would do better to all book penthouse suites that were side by side, I guess. Less money I am sure.

One thing though, would you have access to the swimming pool that the garden villa PAX have?
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yeoman

No access to the pool for thoose staying in a penthouse.

I'm sure that the penthouse suites should be good enough but if I once should have the best suite, only the Garden Villa is the right alternative but for me it should feel wrong to pay for three bedrooms if I only need one!
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
No access to the pool for thoose staying in a penthouse.

I'm sure that the penthouse suites should be good enough but if I once should have the best suite, only the Garden Villa is the right alternative but for me it should feel wrong to pay for three bedrooms if I only need one!
Acess to the courtyard and it's little pool from the AA Owners suite, A2 Deluxe Owers suite, The one bedroom A4s, and the two bedroom A3s.

All the perks of the Garden villa in the A2s and AA. No free booze in the A3,A4 but the same butler as the Garden Villa. If you want the best and not all the wasted space then the A2 Deluxe owners suite is you answer and throw the family into A3,A4 villas.

Old December 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Beginner

Send a message via ICQ to Bobbye Send a message via AIM to Bobbye

Pricing on the GV's is high for the first two in the villa but the thirds, fourths, etc. pay the normal third and fourth rate. For example, March 28 has a garden villa available on the Dawn. Including port and government fees the rate is $14083.48 per person for the first two in the GV and $633.48 each for the additional people. Max is 8 with 2 rollaways. Deposits are $6,000 non-refundable. That's a peak season sailing. 12/5/09 Pearl off season would be $9082.94 per person first two and $332.94 each for the rest.
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I just booked the GV on The Dawn for Dec. 16-23, 2012. The price (for 5 of us) is approx. $2800 each which is what I paid for a Grand suite on RCCL's "Oasis of the Seas" cruise ship last year. Pricing will depend greatly on the time of year you book your cruise. Pass. 1&2 will be paying approx. $6,000 or so and 3, 4 & 5 will be paying $299.

The cruise total is approx. $14,000 ... if you take this number and divide it by 5 people so everyone is paying the same price ... the GV is affordable for the average person.

I can't wait to get on it and see this incredible villa!