Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default NCL and STX Europe Agree to Revise and Restart Original F3 O

NCL and STX Europe Agree to Revise and Restart Original F3 Order

F3, the radical new ship design for a 150,000-ton free-style ship from NCL, is back on track!
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) and STX France Cruise SA, the French shipyard charged with the building contract for the F3 project for NCL, announced today that they have reached an agreement and are moving forward.

NCL and STX Europe have agreed to revise the original F3 order. STX France Cruise is now building one F3 ship at 150,000-tons with a total of 4,200 passenger berths, representing the largest ship in NCL's fleet. This will mean a continuation of the original hull which is currently in the early phases of construction, with delivery set for late May 2010, as originally scheduled. The planned second vessel, currently only in the preparatory stages, will not be built. Further terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

"With this agreement, we can all focus on completing the new vessel successfully," said Kevin Sheehan, NCL's president and CEO. "We are looking forward to the arrival of our much-anticipated F3 ship as it represents a major step forward for NCL in terms of ship size, design and innovation."

"We are pleased that the ongoing construction of the ship for NCL will continue. We, along with our subcontractors, will now make the necessary adjustments to our plans for this project," said Jacques Hardelay, president of STX France Cruise SA.

To date, information has only been revealed regarding F3's staterooms and nightlife. NCL plans to unveil the full F3 story in the near future. Further information can be found online at www.f3.ncl.com.
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Well I looked at the link and it is frankly to bad the pics are the same as I will not book a room where I have to brush my teeth in the room so close to bedding and so on. A bathroom is a bathroom, and I dont want to see that in or near my sleeping areas. I dont want to see some one washing up before bed while I am in bed, that is what a bathroom is for. Privacy.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You are right and I never noticed it. That is a stark departure from the other NCL ships which I assume you would have loved because the toilet and shower AND sink are each in separate rooms.

That is true, though, the shower and toilet are each in their own little rooms, but the sink is in the stateroom.

This wouldn't bother me at all, actually. But I would think there would be a lot more people embarassed about having to do that stuff in front of people rather than in a bathroom rather than having to watch other people do it.

I wonder if some of the cabin types have the usual NCL bathrooms which are actually some of the nicest at sea for a standard bathroom.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

I actually dont love or care for the separations in the bathrooms , although I find the bathrooms very nice on Dawn Gem and Spirit. I dont go in the bathroom with other people, I dont kow why people would use the toilet and brush their teeth at the same time, sorry, for me there is not enough room or space. We all take turns in the bathroom. I actually prefere a lay out where the shower has a door yes, but that the toilet and sink area would be open as I never close the door in the toilet area as I find it so confining. I also like to be able to have a toilet area and shower area together, I dont want to whip into one and then across the floor into the shower. The way the new room is, it is two separate rooms.......across the way from each other.

Personally I want to be able to have DS's girlfriend sit on my bed and tell me what DS and her were going to do for the rest of the night, and Sam was in the bathroom getting ready for bed, we really dont need to see him brushing his teeth and swishing out in the sink while we are chatting on my bed about the evening or what we are doing tomorrow.

Its got nothing to do with embarressing, but we all like to have some privacy and not all people sharing cabins are intimate couples and even those that are, want their own sense of space and privacy.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Delft,

I see your point, especially if you are cruising with some one other than husband/wife or SO.

I would have no issue with the sink in the main cabin if I was with my wife but not with anyone else.

I like the NCL separate shower with doors. Often one of us brushes teeth, dries off, etc. While the other showers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I saw the mock ups of these cabins during my visit to the shipyard last spring. At the time I questioned then Pres. Colin Veitch about the wash basin being "in" the cabin. He didn't have a great answer, other than their is a curtain to draw to separate the wash basin area from the rest of the cabin.

So... as long as you don't mind listening to your cabin mates gargle, you'll actually be ok.

I did really like the curved walls for the F3 cabins. Very futuristic looking, and also made the cabin appear to be more roomy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Yes, but that curtain doesnt stop any one in the hall from seeing more than one may want when a door is opened?? You see, many people will wash up with out their clothes on, or very little, and if you are like my family, we have cabin keys to each others rooms, and not only that, if Sam walks in with his key as I am changing and washing up, then when he opens the door to come in, every one else can see me in a state I may not want, and I dont like that, and I personally find that really bother some. So the curtain blocks a view to the bed, but not the hallway, and certainly with my loved ones, we are constantly in and out of rooms, getting this and that, going here and there.

I also don't like the thought that one takes a shower, and then what? Where do you dry yourself off? Right now, I get out of ther shower, stand on a matt by the sink and dry off get dressed etc. Now you will have to get out of the shower and then stand on the floor, in front of the cabin door and in front of sleeping areas to dry off and get dressed etc?? That makes no sense to me especially in such small spaces. I get up early, go in the bathroom, Sam sleeps, now if I am actually in the cabin......I will really disturb him, and visa versa if I am the one trying to sleep.

Yes, I suppose some people will wash up at the sink while one showers, we dont as we like our own space, so I do like the shower with the door, versus a floppy curtain, but no one is in the bathroom when I take a shower, because usually my junk is all over the bathroom/sink area while I get ready, etc. Having a shower in one area and the toilet and sink not in the same room, and in three unattatched separate areas is a real problem for me, and IT WOULD PREVENT me from booking in a room like this or on a ship like this. I am as people know a fan of NCL, but not the the point I would accept a bathroom area like this.

It is a deal breaker for me.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Its hard to say until you try it. I find most people will adapt to whatever they have to deal with. I doubt they failed to think this through first.

Maybe the showers are big enough that you can dry off inside of them. You step out and close the curtain, brush your teeth and get dressed.

Hearing someone brushing their teeth is not going to bother me any.

And naturally few people use the toilet while someone else is in the shower, so here you actually get the BENEFIT of having a shower and WC available at the same time. It is not a drawback. You can even have all three units going at the same time.

I am not saying I love, but I usally travel only with my wife and for us I think we would be fine with it. It if gives you a real sense of added space and frees up the toilet at all times, then it is plus.

I was just on a small ship cruise where the sink is in the room. You get used to it. I would never consider it a deal breaker. I will say I am very surprised they don't have other options onboard, though. Well, I guess the suites have other options.

I am just surprised because the Pearl and Gem have GREAT bathrooms, some of the best at sea.
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Admiral

I agree, the bathrooms on Gem are great, even the inside cabins, its just perfect. I like the insides better on GEM than balcony, as the toilet is not caged off. DS and his GF had an inside and it was a lovely cabin for them. I love the storage in an NCL cabin. Every nook and cranny is used.

It is is how ever NOT hard for me to say until I try it, I wont try it because of the lay out. I am very particular about bathrooms, and the feeling of being clean, and it absolutely grosses me out to be spitting and swishing and swooshing in a sink just near my bed. I also want a sink at the toilet area, to be used before leaving a toilet area, Its disgusting to me to use a toilet, touch a handle on the door, touch surfaces in a sleeping area and then finally wash hands. Nope, a sink should be right there, and used before leaving a toilet area. I dont like it. Maybe that is the nurse in me, but it for me, it is a no go. I would also never dry off directly in a shower.

And the issue of that cabin door being in the view of the that area where you cross between shower and bathroom, and what is effectively the "dressing area....no way! It is bad enough as it is, I have passed by more than one cabin that some one opens and some one is standing there dressing. We learned the hard way to use the bathroom!

A small sink, just to wash hands, as an extra sink, I am fine with that, I like any time I can wash hands, but not for washing up, dressing by, and just nope to the whole idea.

If they continue with this idea, this is where people don't think things through from a practical point of view. I look at the fact on our last cruise, in one cabin was some people who shared as they didnt have any one else to go with. They got along so well, but they would not have appreciated this set up.
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Yeoman

I agree with Delft, I will NOT try it.

In my opinion it's necessary to have a sink in the same room as the toilet.

If the shower is in a small room with room for nothing more than the shower, where do you keep your towel dry? Do you have to keep it out in the cabin until you have finished your shower?
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Captain

I am surprised that the sink could be such a deal breaker. I have been in 100s of hotel rooms where the sink is outside the toilet/shower areas. It is the least of my concerns with the F3.

Keep in mind if you select your cabin wisely the sink is no where near the bed in every other cabin

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I am not surprised it is such a deal breaker. I know I have gone over the plans for the new ship with several friends who were with us on GEM and they all said no way. They agree with me that they want a sink in a toilet area, they agree with me that when one dresses, dries off etc, if the front door is opened the privacy is compromised, before one had the choice of dressing in the room or the bathroom.

Erik, you are right about the towels....I mean no one keps their towel in the shower as they take a shower......so you come out of the shower , dripping wet, at the entrance to your room, and then your grab a towel and dry off and of course while doing that some one walks into your cabin, a Darling child or a spouse or a friends, and voilla, every one gets to see the bare naked wet you. Just wonderful. So appealing!

These are big issues for me and others, for many it wont be, but then they may be the ones who are responsible for my last bout with Norwalk.......we know how important immediate handwashing is and controlling illness. The thought of some one with any illness, not washing hands right away, of walking out the toilet area, and then touching things along the way, yuck, at least if the sink is right there, immediate, one does tend to use it more. At least that is what studies in hospitals show, which is why sinks are now being placed both in the toilet area and in the room itself, as well as hand sanitizers at the entrance to every room.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't know - it's just different. I think people adapt...

Step one - pull the curtain
Step two - deadbolt the door

Not such a big deal. I see many of the cabins have larger shower areas where you can likely store the towel and dry off inside the shower area. problem solved.

For me - the prospect of hearing someone gurgling doesn't scare me. The vast majority of homes have master baths with two sinks next to each other. If you haven't had the joy of sharing the teethbrushing experience with your spouse before you have lived a very sheltered life. Same with kids who often share bathrooms around the house.

I see plenty of advantages - as in having the WC, shower and sink always thoroughly available whether or not someone is using the other facility.

In truth - most people travel with their spouse or a family member. You may not want to share your naked body view with them, so then there is the curtain. But all this energy surounding the sink being in the room ... I kind of see a mountain out of a molehill reaction happening here. There is a curtain if you really care. I am not going to worry about hearing someone brush their teeth (funny, the thought of worrying about that has never even occured to me before).
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Captain

Paul I agree with you 100%

But people are all different. If people are uncomforable with being seen or heard that is their burden. Lots of other ships to choose from.

I like the 3 separate areas. I can shave while someone else showers and not fight mirror fog. Yes I am comfortable as well sharing the space in the Jewel clase bathrooms shaving while someone else showers this just makes it better.

I guess some folks would hate my favorite cabins as well. The A3s and ABs with the master bedroom open to a luxury bath. You have to exit the shower and toilet areas and walk to the sinks. There is a shelf in the shower for the towel but I set it outside the door.

Just you can see each other brush their teeth. There is a curtain just like the F3 cabins

Old December 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Paul, hearing some one brush their teeth does not in fact scare me, and your missing the point. I am a social person, I actually dont just travel with one, and our last cruise on GEM saw many of us, I didnt have to go on a "group cruise " booked by some one else, in fact I arranged my own group cruise and we had a BAST. and guess what? We went from cabin to cabin, at times I had several sitting in my cabin, on the balcony, sitting on the beds etc( I had a large cabin with an equally large balcony, my cabin ended up grand central station) ........and guess what else? Sam was still able to shower and change and shave with some privacy. I dont think its reasonable to expect the man or a woman to do that with several people in the cabin and on the balcony he didnt even know well. You may travel with your spouse mainly, but mainy travel as families. This lay out is not practical for a family, not is it a "clean set up", unless of course they put both a sink in the toilet area and the cabin. Dead bolt the door? I would like to see that,I honestly tried it, but when ever I thought the door was locked from inside , in fact, those with a room key still seemed to be able to come in( but not the cleaning staff) .

When designing a ship, one does not just design for couples. There are families, blended families, groups of young adults, single parent families etc etc.

And shoreguy, your right, I hate a bath tub in the room. I have lately seen in homes where they are doing that in the master bedroom. My girlfriend did it in her new home. Looks beautiful, but sorry, when I want to sleep, I dont want to see Sam taking a swim in the tub! He likewise isnt interested in me waking him up with a shower or a tub early in the morning!

As I said, I actually love NCL, Sam and I agree this line has given us a little of what we all want, and that has been good for our family and group of friends, but I won't have a cabin with this lay out, which means I will stick with DAWN, GEM and ships in that class, and not take this ship. Some wont care, I do.
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yeoman

This is not a big problem, I can choose to cruise with another NCL-ship.

I have two sisters and a brother and we never spent any time together in the bathroom when we were young, why sholud we do that? As a grown up, I have no desire at all to have a master bath with two sinks next to each other.

Of course there is an advantage to have the possibility to use the sink at the same time as someone else is using the toilet but it's still not worth it, to me.

I guess that it's an American thing to have the sink outside the bathroom because I have seen it in some hotelrooms in America but I have never seen it in Europe. If many Americans want it that way, I understand why NCL does it.
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The new set up may actually save some steps...you could just pee in the sink

I'm a fan of NCL , but this is a strange one... and I'm putting in a guess that it's not going to be there when construction is completed.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Yeoman

Kuki, let's hope that you are right!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki....

I have NO idea if this is true or not, but I am guessing it was one of the "expensive design changes" they wanted that the shipyard objected to.

See, the thing is, to move anything now means re-working basic superstructure elements for the pipes & stuff. That unique design was fundamental to very early stage production processes, such as placing hot & cold water pipes, etc. that need to be built in way before the cabin pods are placed.

Once again - I don't know what the result will be, but I think people adapt to whatever they have to deal with. As I said, it has certain advantages and will even appeal MORE to some people than a regular bathroom would.

There are also elements of Star Cruises in there (remember, this was a pre-Apollo design). Star is Asian and Doug Ward from Berlitz told me they had a lot of influence on bathroom designs for previous NCL ships.

The Japanese/Malaysians have far less stigma about nudity, but more on hygiene. They want the toilet in a completely separate room from everything - which by definition means the shower sits alone.

From a San Fran Chronicle article "There are three common design elements to virtually every Japanese bath: a deep tub used solely for soaking, an "on-demand" water heater, and a separate compartment for the toilet. Indeed, for the Japanese, placing a toilet in the same room as the bathtub would be as disgusting as lathering off grime in the furo."

A "furo" is a tub used only for soaking - no lathering.

You do also get a sense of more space because that standing area for the sink is now cabin floor-space. That is several sq feet.
Old December 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

As much as would prefer a standing designed bathroom, this isn't going to keep me from cruising on the new F3 ships. I just want to try one to say I did it.. Look at it this way, in the olden days the wash sink was always in the bedrooms.

Lots of people didn't think Freestyle dining would work either.

Nita
Old December 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I see many of the cabins have extra large showers which means it will be easy to shower and dry off in them. Let's be realistic, drying off in the room might be a little embarassing (bending over, etc), but I assume almost everyone eventually comes OUT of the shower and bathrom to get dressed - because your clothes are in the cabin. So really, not much has changed, except (possible) where you dry off. It is starting to see like people making a mountain out of a molehill.

As I said before, we just traveled on a ship with the sink in the room, and you get used to it very soon, and there is a distinct advantage that the design is far more efficient. Someone who needs to use the bathroom won't be hampered by someone taking a shower, and vice versa.

Besides that - the cabins are very cool with their curvy designs and unusual shapes. Like the rest of the ship, this is going to be a completely different type of cruise experience, and for that reason alone it seems kind of fitting that the cabins should be different, too.

I am really looking forward to seeing this ship.
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Yeoman

The main problem for me isn't that the shower is in a separate room but that there is no sink in the room where the toilet is! Some people may think that I'm strange but I really wants to wash my hands when I have used the toilet!
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
The main problem for me isn't that the shower is in a separate room but that there is no sink in the room where the toilet is! Some people may think that I'm strange but I really wants to wash my hands when I have used the toilet!
I guess I am slow. You would think there is no sink at all. No reason you can not wash your hands. I see no difference in the wave cabins then an AB penthouse where I need to open the door to toilet room and take 3 or 4 steps to the sinks. For that matter in the Jewel class balcony cabins you need to open the sliding door and take 1 step instead of 3.

What am I missing

Old December 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe Erik is a pretty steady NCL cruiser so he has every right to his preferences. I would urge him to still give it a try, because it also seems to me he is kind of stretching the scope of the "problem" here.

You can still wash your hands, naturally. In fact, if you are compulsive handwasher you can wash them anytime you want to, because the sink is never behind a closed door.

About the only possible problem I can forsee is having to close a curtain and lock a door before you dry off. As I said, since you get dressed in the cabin anyway the whole "problem" of someone walking in on you is a stretch. I don't know anyone who gets dressed in the shower or even the bathroom, unless you are traveling with someone other than your spouse.

When I traveled with my brother on HAL we found it was easy to "make" a dressing room by opening up the closet and bathroom doors at the same time to block the view from the cabin - so you had your clothes available without having to take them in the bathroom.

Who would want to take their clothes into the bathroom when you shower, anyway? They will get all steamy and dewey.

Still - different strokes for different folks. Some people have to have things a certain way.
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I learned alot reading this thread.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeoman

I know that there is a sink in the cabin but I want it in the same room as the toilet.

What I have seen on the F3 layout, it's nothing like the Jewelclass balcony cabins, they have the sink in the same room as the toilet. When we cruised on the Jewel I never closed the door between the toilet and the sink, why should I? At home I have a sink in the bathroom and why should I want less on a cruise?

For me it's very natural to have the sink in the bathroom instead of in the bedroom/livingroom but I have no problem with people who don't agree with that, prefer whatever you like.

I don't really see a problem with this, I can choose another ship! As long as NCL has other ships, I don't need to cruise with the F3 ship.
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Eric, My heritage is European as well, maybe it is only us who wash our hands when using a toilet right away. I have never in my life not seen a wash basin right at the toilet, its just unheard of. I love NCL, but I will not go on this ship with this set up period. I dont need to open closets and close curtains etc etc to make a private dressing area. I want a proper bathroom, plain and simple. My definition of a propper bathroom may differ from others, but it is not the one on the new ship and I will not go on it. Hopefully the powers that be at NCL have been reading this and other posts on other sites, there has not been over whelming support for this bathroom lay out. It really doesnt matter what the ship has to offer, because there are far to many other ships that do offer what I want. I will try and stick to NCL, as we loved DAWN, thats the best, with Gem second and Spirit Third , but I have no objection to trying others and other ships.
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delft
Eric, My heritage is European as well, maybe it is only us who wash our hands when using a toilet right away. I have never in my life not seen a wash basin right at the toilet, its just unheard of. I love NCL, but I will not go on this ship with this set up period. I dont need to open closets and close curtains etc etc to make a private dressing area. I want a proper bathroom, plain and simple. My definition of a propper bathroom may differ from others, but it is not the one on the new ship and I will not go on it. Hopefully the powers that be at NCL have been reading this and other posts on other sites, there has not been over whelming support for this bathroom lay out. It really doesnt matter what the ship has to offer, because there are far to many other ships that do offer what I want. I will try and stick to NCL, as we loved DAWN, thats the best, with Gem second and Spirit Third , but I have no objection to trying others and other ships.
I am not going to stop going on a ship because the toilet and wash basin are separate and I do want to experience the new concept, but right now I am not totally sold on the entire lay out, not just the bathroom situation, the entire idea. I guess I will have to accept the fact, NCL as well as other lines are looking at attracting a different cliantele than those of times gone by. Oh well,

Nita
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

<<Eric, My heritage is European as well, maybe it is only us who wash our hands when using a toilet right away.>>

Pulleeeeze, we ALL wash our hands right away in the civilized world. There is NO REASON at all why having the sink in the room is going to stop you from washing your hands right away.

As I explained, the reason for this design is because the Japanese find Western-style bathrooms dirty - the do NOT want anything else in a room with a toilet.

To them, the idea of washing their hands, or brushing their teeth in the same room as the toilet is disgusting. To you, Delft & Eric, it appears to be a necessity - well, washing your hands, anyway.

If I am to believe you are each as sanitary as you claim to be and your objection is having to open the toilet room door before you wash your hands then you also wouldn't sail on any ship that didn't have automatic infrared faucets so you wouldn't have to touch the faucet handle after using the toilet.

In other words - I thought through all the logistics; drapes, locks, faucets, doorknobs, doors.... I get that you don't like the design, but I still think you are making a mountain out of a molehill just because the sink is in the room.

The more I think about it the more I like it. I can wash my hands and use the sink for shaving, brushing my teeth, etc, at any time and I don't have to worry about my tux getting all damp from residual shower steam or smelling someone elses "you-know-what" while I am doing my stuff.

That is the other thing the Japanese are very big on when it comes to bathrooms - efficiency. They want every element available to them all the time. Putting the toilet, sink & shower in the same room is antithetic to the efficient usage of each item. This design will allow everyone to get ready for dinner in less time because no one will be locking you out of the shower, toilet or sink because they are using something else.

As for the rest of the ship - I just happen to love the idea that NCL is willing to take chances and do things entirely differently from the rest of the cruise world. This ship also does not have a single main theater or dining room.

Everyone will be choosing a different dining room every night - all with different cuisine. Some will still be included in the cruise fare, and some will not. As Kuki said, part of the fun of Free-style is budgetting to enjoy these alternative restaurants. The food is good and they are worth it.

For entertainment, there is no single after-dinner production show.

Uummm... I hate to say this because I used to work on cruise ships in the entertainment department, but I won't miss most cruise shows. But that is MY personal taste and I won't put it on anyone else. I am just saying this approach makes sense to me as I rarely go to the "big" shows anymore. Give me a nightclub with karaoke, comedy, live bands etc and I happy.
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Paul, we too rarely go to the shows anymore. On our last cruise we did 2, one was Second City and the other, a production show. It was ok, nothing I can really even remember. At the time we enjoyed it, still it did not make or break our cruise. We like to listen to a piano player, see a comedian, enjoy the casino or just go back to the cabin and read for the time being. We do not cruise to see shows.

I am not thrilled wtih all the ideas or the new concept, but like you, the thing NCL does best is their willingness to experiment. The dining idea, I think is great, the cabins, well I will judge that after sailing. My biggest complaint is the size of the ships...

Nita