Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Oh my Gagal, you are a feisty one. What I meant was, from the description you gave, and from others I read at about the same time, the tape appeared to show only a white blur. It was not even certain that it was a person, much less the victim. Even if it was the victim there was certainly no indication how she was propelled overboard. My twenty-five years plus of being involved in the investigation and prosecution of homicide cases causes me to be pretty cautious about jumping (no pun intended) to conclusions. And your experience is

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Oh my Gagal, you are a feisty one. What I meant was, from the description you gave, and from others I read at about the same time, the tape appeared to show only a white blur. It was not even certain that it was a person, much less the victim. Even if it was the victim there was certainly no indication how she was propelled overboard. My twenty-five years plus of being involved in the investigation and prosecution of homicide cases causes me to be pretty cautious about jumping (no pun intended) to conclusions. And your experience is

So I have to assume you saw the video and it was a white blur. Please share your investigation experience view of the tape.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Admiral

I didn't say I saw it. That is why I don't speculate as to what it may or may not show. I said I read about it and it was described that way. Also please bear in mind that news reports are notoriously inaccurate. I will wait for the official report before I draw any conclusion as to the facts leading to the disappearance of this woman. Suggest everyone do the same.

Surely shoreguy, you can't be razzing me for suggesting that we not speculate
"Please share your investigation experience view of the tape."
I have no idea what you mean by that? It makes no sense.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Captain

Rich

I just read it the wrong way.

I would never razz anybody for suggesting that we not speculate.

The speculation in fact drives me nuts.

Sorry for the confusion.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Hey, no probemo Shoreguy. What drives me nuts is that things like this happen dozens of times a week ashore, but the press goes nuts when it happens on a cruise ship. What do they expect when you have 40 or 50 ships at sea at any given time (just a wild guess) and each one is like a small town? Things are going to happen including rape, murder and suicide. Why does it become more newsworthy, just because it happens on a cruise ship

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Passenger

Old January 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Hey, no probemo Shoreguy. What drives me nuts is that things like this happen dozens of times a week ashore, but the press goes nuts when it happens on a cruise ship. What do they expect when you have 40 or 50 ships at sea at any given time (just a wild guess) and each one is like a small town? Things are going to happen including rape, murder and suicide. Why does it become more newsworthy, just because it happens on a cruise ship
It's the same with the Noro virus, it hits schools, nursing homes, airplanes, hospitals and the work place just to mention a few locations, but only when it hits a ship do we hear much about it. I remember a couple of years ago it swept through our little town (where I was living then) in about 2 weeks I am sure 30% of the residence contracted Noro, nothing even appeared int he local paper.

Nita
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Admiral

You are right Nita, rare is the grade school that is not visited by the noro virus every year.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Beginner

RichStacy - the reports have all said that the FBI knows she went overboard around 8:00 from the tape they have so why are you the one speculating that it might not even be her? I don't think there are any other passengers missing from that ship???? The whole point of my 1st post was that we can't speculate how she went overboard because they have only said they saw her go overboard but haven't released at what point in her "fall" that they saw her going over or how much they saw of how she went over. Therefore, I was in essence saying the same thing as you, that we don't know enough details to decide what happened to her but you come telling me that I'm jumping to conclusions as if there was another way of going overboard other than the 3 possibilities I mentioned, hence, the reason I said she either fell, was pushed, or jumped.....it was definitely one of those 3 and if she "fell" without help then we know she was most certainly doing something she didn't need to be doing like climbing, etc., because it's not likely you can just fall off a ship.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Why do you want to argue gaGal? Geez!! Unless they have a closeup of her face as she went over the rail, we really don't know that she went over at all do we. In fact, we are not privy to the FBI investigative file ARE WE? get the point?? It's just idle speculation on our part.

You go ahead and think about it your way -- and I'll continue to think about it the way my training (and actual experience for a few decades as a federal prosecutor who has handled more than 3000 felonies) has taught me to do it. OK? Then we'll both be happy.

Meanwhile, as for me -- I'd have to see the tapes, read ALL the FBI's 302's (reports of interview) with all the witnesses, including those familiar with the woman's mental state, and examine all the physical evidence before I would be willing to hazard any opinion at all about what took place. Eventually, the Bureau will present the facts of the case to an AUSA (Asst. U.S. Attorney) for a prosecutive decision and in all probability the case will be declined, unless there are facts the newsrats don't know (which is entirely possible.) Have a nice day.
Richard

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Beginner

RichStacy - I don't know what reports you are reading as the FBI has said since almost the initial reports that they know from the video that she went overboard but just weren't ready to say for sure exactly how and why. With that said, I am so through with this conversation as it is obvious you are the one wanting to argue and the type of person who needs to show what they have and what they know to appear superior to everyone else. Glad you know the technical name for 302s, etc. Dang, wouldn't it be nice if you also had the common sense to be able to read statements by the FBI that they have video of the woman going overboard and be able to "read between the lines" and realize that that means they have video of the woman going overboard?????
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Have you even read my posts? Do you know, or can you even comprehend, the difference between a press report and an FBI report? When I read about cases I was involved in, I frequently don't recognize the case at all because the newsrats garble it up so badly! But then I guess that's the difference between a 'medical transcriptionist' and a professional prosecutor huh?

You have not seen ANY 'statement from the FBI,' you have seen press reports. Do not confuse TV with reality. And our conversation related solely to your initial post. Go back and read the string. What you say will more than likely turn out to be the truth, but why don't you wait and see what the official result is? That's what those of us with actual experience will do.

I wouldn't allow a person whose mind is as set in concrete and as inflexible and imune from learning as yours is on a jury of mine -- ever!! You have no experience in criminal investigations whatsoever, and yet you pretend you know it all. You know nothing.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08