Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Default Any first time cruiser advice?

I am taking a cruise on the Norwegian Sky in March. I have never been on a cruise before. Is there any advice that would not be common sense that you could offer me?
I have traveled to other island destinations before and have always enjoyed doing whatever felt right - like not partaking in guided tours. I like to see and experience the place for what it truely is and how the people really live - not so much the tourist side of it. Is this realistic or should I stick to something more structured? If I do not book shore excursions will we be able to tour and experience the ports of call appropriately or will we be bored?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Any first time cruiser advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK81
I am taking a cruise on the Norwegian Sky in March. I have never been on a cruise before. Is there any advice that would not be common sense that you could offer me?
I have traveled to other island destinations before and have always enjoyed doing whatever felt right - like not partaking in guided tours. I like to see and experience the place for what it truely is and how the people really live - not so much the tourist side of it. Is this realistic or should I stick to something more structured? If I do not book shore excursions will we be able to tour and experience the ports of call appropriately or will we be bored?
When we cruise we do just about the same as you are talking about. We like to see the real places not the tourist areas. We have been on the Sky twice ( once as the Pride of Aloha) and enjoyed both trips. A cruise is a good way to get a little taste of different places and if you like any maybe a land trip back for a longer stay and the shorter cruise is a good way to see if you like cruising. Enjoy your trip.