Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Familiar Face

Default First Time Cruise - Norwegian Majesty from Charleston

Hello Friends!

I'm temporarily living in Charleston, SC where my husband is a resident. I would like to take my first cruise, a lifelong dream. My parents cruised many years ago before but this is the first for my husband and me. We have chosen the Norwegian Majesty cruise departing from Charleston on February 21st, because February 24th is a special anniversary for us and because according to cruisehotsheet it was one of the more affordable dates.

We picked this cruise because I thought it would be more affordable than adding the inconvenience and additional cost of transportation for four people from Charleston to a Florida port, even for a cruise with fewer days. (Am I right about that?) Our party consists of two seniors, my husband (a South Carolina resident) and me. We would like two rooms with at least one of them at least a category GG. As far as I can tell, that is the least expensive ocean view category that isn't blocked by life rafts. An ocean view would be SO wonderful… even if it’s a tiny window. I assume two rooms is the most affordable option since my husband is a night owl and my parents are morning larks. (I won’t be getting much sleep!)

In addition to any other advice or suggestions, my primary concern is how to find two rooms at the best value possible. I heard that you have to be careful about the agency you book through, because not everything is included with every agency. I understand that some agencies offer additional benefits. How much additional money should I factor in for expenses not included in the fare?

Forgive my ignorance. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for your time!

Ann

PS I am posting this on two message boards here, in hopes that it will reach someone that might be able to offer suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
First Mate

We went on this ship last Feb and you should know that it is one of their older ships and much smaller than most of the ships sailing today.Also you should be aware of the fact that supply and demand is a major contributor to the pricing structure . All of this said we enjoyed ourselves and the service was excellent with anytime dining and would suggest you choose the smaller dining room for dinner.Charleston has a long way to go in handling embarcation We are also from SC and have a place at Seabrook and chose this ship for the easy ability of no parking and no long trip down to Fla.If you enjoy this cruise looh at Celebrity which will be doing cruises out of Chas. in early 2010.Have fun and we can say without exception we have never had a bad cruise with 40 some under our belt.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the info! I'm aware that it's an older ship. I thought that since it's my first trip, I would think it's fabulous and future cruises would be even better. Haha.

Thanks for the info on Celebrity. I arranged a Panama Canal sailing on Celebrity for my parents' 50th anniversary a decade ago. They were upgraded to a suite and had a wonderful time. We plan to be heading back west this summer but I'll keep the 2010+ sailings in mind if we're still in Charleston in a year or two.

Since you're familiar with the area, have you had experiences with driving to cruise ports in Florida? How big of a hassle is it to park a car? Is it safe? Expensive? Do you have any suggestions for other departure points/low-cost cruises from nearby ports? I looked at a few from Jacksonville and Port Canaveral. The best deals seems to be from Miami. We can go any time with a months notice, but sailing over my anniversary (or my parents' anniversary the second week of March) would be ideal. I wonder if I should look into a few other short-notice possibilities.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!!
Ann
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Familiar Face

My wife and I are planning a cruise on the Majesty from Baltimore to Bermuda next fall. Be sure and post when you get back telling how you liked the Majesty. We will be on one of her last cruises before she leaves the fleet.

Charles
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be sure and post after our trip, Charles. I'm looking forward to it!

Ann
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy88
My wife and I are planning a cruise on the Majesty from Baltimore to Bermuda next fall. Be sure and post when you get back telling how you liked the Majesty. We will be on one of her last cruises before she leaves the fleet.

Charles
We did the Charleston to Bermuda this past May and enjoyed it. We Loved Bermuda. Getting to stay over a few nights is awsome and I think more cruises should do this. Bermuda is more upscale than it's caribbean sisters. Get a bus pass and go anywhere on the island that the shore excursions go for much cheaper. The bus pass also includes riding on the ferry so it's real easy to hop form St. George to Hamilton to the Royal Naval Dockyard. Must see beaches are Horshoe Bay and Elbow Beach.

Check out my Bermuda pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin/Bermuda#
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Familiar Face

This cruise is actually to the Bahamas, not Bermuda. I've heard great things about the Bermuda trip but this date and departure point worked best for us. We'll be visiting Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport.
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zightlight
This cruise is actually to the Bahamas, not Bermuda. I've heard great things about the Bermuda trip but this date and departure point worked best for us. We'll be visiting Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport.
I realize that. I was commenting on Bermuda for the benefit of tuffy88. Sorry for the confusion.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin