Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Default Why no cruises to Hawaii during the summer?

We are trying to plan a summer cruise to the different Hawaiian islands and are having no luck at all. We have heard horror stories about Norwegian Cruise Lines and wonder if they are all true. Any comments greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Why no cruises to Hawaii during the summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannaj
We are trying to plan a summer cruise to the different Hawaiian islands and are having no luck at all. We have heard horror stories about Norwegian Cruise Lines and wonder if they are all true. Any comments greatly appreciated.
well, this depends on who you listen to. Some feel NCL is the bottom or the barrell, others would cruise no other line..For us, it is our line of choice. We cruise all lines, depending on itinerary and price, but always check NCL first. Why the negatives? I have no idea.

You can find those who hate Celebrity, HAL or any other line. Have you checked and read the reviews on this and other posts? Many more positive reviews are written than negatives. The professions on another website just the other day choose NCL as the best line for first time cruisers. Other reviewers have voted NCL the best for multi family generation cruises. I have had very few clients come back with anythng but positive comments, but like anything, you have to know what to expect.

I am the first to say, if being pampered is your idea of a perfect cruise, NCL may not be for you, if you are looking for a friendly, helpful crew and flexibility NCL is for you.

Nita
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

hawaii is great on Pride of America. you cruise in hawaii to see the islands any other line has multiple sea days (which i like) and you are paying a premium to cruise to hawaii those extra days at sea are kinda expensive as such i recomend the only home ported in hawaii cruise line
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Passenger

We cruised Hawaii on the Wind several years ago, where we went to Kiribati which took 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. It was less expensive than the shorter cruise which stayed in Hawaii, and the 4days at sea were restful and lovely, with beautiful weather, and lots to do. My only disappointment was that particular cruise did not cruise Kilauea at night, which many do, so you can see the lava pouring into the sea. I'd look for that.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old January 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Captain

We did Hawaii on the Pride of America last April and loved it.
Try reading the reader reviews for a better idea.
I would definately do it again without hesitation.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Admiral

After three cruises on Norwegian I can't see what the NCL bashing is all about. I found everything to be fine. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
After three cruises on Norwegian I can't see what the NCL bashing is all about. I found everything to be fine. 8)
I think much of the bashing is the same people or families over and over. Fro those who post reviews in the review section, they are usually complete, fair and more positive than negative. Add to that, many people don't know what NCL is all about and expect something different plus some are hard to please.

the person (who, btw hasn't been back) that mentioned the kids crew councilors drinking and giving booze to the teens on NYEve, should read some of the boards on a few other websites. It seems like everyone has a bone to pick with every cruise line right now. they want their cake and it is too.

Nita
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
I think much of the bashing is the same people or families over and over. Fro those who post reviews in the review section, they are usually complete, fair and more positive than negative. Add to that, many people don't know what NCL is all about and expect something different plus some are hard to please.

the person (who, btw hasn't been back) that mentioned the kids crew councilors drinking and giving booze to the teens on NYEve, should read some of the boards on a few other websites. It seems like everyone has a bone to pick with every cruise line right now. they want their cake and it is too.

Nita

The bashers, I agree much of the bashing is the same people or families over and over again in different threads. The kid's crew basher is gone for now - the food basher also gone - and the Pearl cabin 11530 ping pong basher will be gone soon too. It seems one little thing wrong and the cruise and NCL are the worst thing around and then comes the never again statement.

I could have written a negative review on the NCLA's inaugural cruise around Hawaii on July 4, 2004. I booked on the Pride of America as a 50th birthday suprise for my wife but ended up on the Pride of Aloha in stead, aka NCL Sky the same ship we got off from our Alaska cruise. Most everyone knows the inaugural cruise story. We could have been one of those never again people but we gave NCL another shot and three cruises later we are still using NCL and some others as well but mostly NCL.

The Hawaiian Islands are great and a cruise is the best way to get to see them and maybe pick one out to come back for a longer stay.

Most cruise lines spend the summer months in the cold region and the winter months in the warm regions.

From what I have read NCL's Pride of America is working OK and people seem very happy with it.

I will get my cruise on the Pride of America soon.

jannaj,
NCL is not as bad as people make it, read up on it - ask all the questions you can and make up your own mind then enjoy your cruise on the line of your choice.