Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Beginner

Default 21st Birthday - Not good enough for Spirits on NCL Star

For my son's 21st birthday, we took the whole family on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star. Left on Saturday and his 21st was on Tuesday. Had to do some major room juggling so that he and his girlfriend were registered in a cabin with a family member that was 21 already. The reservation person knew this situation and just laughed that everyone could "sleep" wherever they wanted. But . . . his big 21st birthday comes and the front desk would absolutely NOT change his card to reflect his new age so it was beer and wine for the entire cruise. I heard this "policy" garbage from more employees than I can list. Not that he doesn't like beer or wine but come on . . . 21 is a BIG day.

I am furious. I haven't found a bit of evidence on their web site or their book stating that this would happen. For the children's groups, kids will move up on their birthdays.

Their loss honestly. He's got a great paying job and would likely have spent $$$ trying every new martini and drink of the day. No-one seemed to care when we bought a few drinks for him but that isn't the point. The legal drinking is 21 everywhere but on NCL. I've been loyal to this line since I was 17 and sailed on the Sunward. Not anymore.

This is absolutely NOT the place you want to be for your 21st birthday. I have 4 more children that will all want to celebrate with a cruise too but I'll be finding a new line.

Disgusted Mother
Sailing date 1-3-09 out of LA
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 21st Birthday - Not good enough for Spirits on NCL Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by annish3
For my son's 21st birthday, we took the whole family on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star. Left on Saturday and his 21st was on Tuesday. Had to do some major room juggling so that he and his girlfriend were registered in a cabin with a family member that was 21 already. The reservation person knew this situation and just laughed that everyone could "sleep" wherever they wanted. But . . . his big 21st birthday comes and the front desk would absolutely NOT change his card to reflect his new age so it was beer and wine for the entire cruise. I heard this "policy" garbage from more employees than I can list. Not that he doesn't like beer or wine but come on . . . 21 is a BIG day.

I am furious. I haven't found a bit of evidence on their web site or their book stating that this would happen. For the children's groups, kids will move up on their birthdays.

Their loss honestly. He's got a great paying job and would likely have spent $$$ trying every new martini and drink of the day. No-one seemed to care when we bought a few drinks for him but that isn't the point. The legal drinking is 21 everywhere but on NCL. I've been loyal to this line since I was 17 and sailed on the Sunward. Not anymore.

This is absolutely NOT the place you want to be for your 21st birthday. I have 4 more children that will all want to celebrate with a cruise too but I'll be finding a new line.

Disgusted Mother
I hope the rest of your cruise was good. As for kids moving up on their birthday, where did you get this infommation? As a travel agent I would take exception as I have had families request this on NCL as well as other lines and be turned down. They apply the age restriction effective the day of the cruise. Now, as for your son, will I don't know how I would feel if it were my kid, but I can't imagine I would write off an entire cruise line because of this. I really don't know.

Now, that being said, I have a really funny story, which wasn't funny at the time. On my 21st BD, too many years ago, I waited until 2 minutres after midnight and with my then fiance (now husband) walked into a bar that on more than one occassion had refused to serve me. I even had my birth certificate. Guess what, they still refused to serve me. I wasn't 21 in their minds, why, because I wasn't born unitl 6:45am so tech I was still 20.
Nita
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Beginner

[quote="nmnita"]
Quote:
As a travel agent I would take exception as I have had families request this on NCL as well as other lines and be turned down. They apply the age restriction effective the day of the cruise. Now, as for your son, will I don't know how I would feel if it were my kid, but I can't imagine I would write off an entire cruise line because of this. I really don't know.

Now, that being said, I have a really funny story, which wasn't funny at the time. On my 21st BD, too many years ago, I waited until 2 minutres after midnight and with my then fiance (now husband) walked into a bar that on more than one occassion had refused to serve me. I even had my birth certificate. Guess what, they still refused to serve me. I wasn't 21 in their minds, why, because I wasn't born unitl 6:45am so tech I was still 20.
Nita

Perhaps this is on a space-available basis as a child did move up during our trip.

Did the drinking situation ruin our trip? No. Am I terribly disappointed? You bet! I paid for 4 staterooms on this ship to celebrate my son's birthday with his entire family. My other children are already planning "their" trips. Obviously, with this policy in place, I'll either be choosing another line or even some other kind of vacation.

We took 11 people to Cagney's Steakhouse and he wasn't even able to order a cocktail for his birthday. That's just wrong. If I had known this when I made the reservations, we could easily have adjusted the dates by a week. Honestly, I think this important enough that it needs to be added to their information about alcohol consumption and I will be writing a letter to them regarding this.

Whenever it has been my choice to pick a cruise, I've always picked NCL. I've also been on Holland America, Princess, and Royal . . . 15 ships in the past 25 years. We're not newcomers to cruising and I realize that they need policies to protect passengers. This one is a ridiculous policy and I'm disappointed in them, and in myself for not knowing this.

Unlike you, I was at a bowling alley at midnight of my 21st and the bartender was thrilled to help me celebrate.

annish3
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know for a fact that I have read many cruise line policies that state the person MUST be 21 on the day the cruise begins, and that turning 21 during the cruise does not count. WHY? I cannot say, I only know those are the rules they have posted.

In retrospect, it does seem pretty silly. If someone is 21 then they are 21, why turn them down when they are obviously there to PARTY?

oH WELL - very sorry about that. You are right, it was their loss. I am sure your son will have his chance to get a belly full of Margaritas, spend the night praying to the porcelain god and swearing off drinking for the rest of his life at least 10 times before he is 22 anyway. Not much point in worrying about what happened. Can't change the past.
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

[quote="annish3"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
As a travel agent I would take exception as I have had families request this on NCL as well as other lines and be turned down. They apply the age restriction effective the day of the cruise. Now, as for your son, will I don't know how I would feel if it were my kid, but I can't imagine I would write off an entire cruise line because of this. I really don't know.

Nita

Perhaps this is on a space-available basis as a child did move up during our trip.

Did the drinking situation ruin our trip? No. Am I terribly disappointed? You bet! I paid for 4 staterooms on this ship to celebrate my son's birthday with his entire family. My other children are already planning "their" trips. Obviously, with this policy in place, I'll either be choosing another line or even some other kind of vacation.

We took 11 people to Cagney's Steakhouse and he wasn't even able to order a cocktail for his birthday. That's just wrong. If I had known this when I made the reservations, we could easily have adjusted the dates by a week. Honestly, I think this important enough that it needs to be added to their information about alcohol consumption and I will be writing a letter to them regarding this.

Whenever it has been my choice to pick a cruise, I've always picked NCL. I've also been on Holland America, Princess, and Royal . . . 15 ships in the past 25 years. We're not newcomers to cruising and I realize that they need policies to protect passengers. This one is a ridiculous policy and I'm disappointed in them, and in myself for not knowing this.

Unlike you, I was at a bowling alley at midnight of my 21st and the bartender was thrilled to help me celebrate.

annish3
I should have been at your bowling alley!!! I am glad you did have a good cruise otherwise, and I do understand your frustration. What is the big deal? So they have rules, but if someone moves up in age that should be honored, especially on his BD and parents were there.

Nita