Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Star 1-3-09 Mexican Riviera

Besides our bit of disappointment with our son not being able to drink cocktails after turning 21 (see other post), our week on the Norwegian Star was nice. Not perfect but nice. My family had 4 staterooms, all on deck 8. In three of the rooms, the stewards were awesome. Ours seemed to be MIA. We had 4 people in our cabin and instead of moving any of the beds, they were just remade and turned down for the night in the morning. We only got chocolates on two of the nights and one one of those cute little animals. My other family members got daily animals and chocolate every night. Twice we had put out striped towels (pool) to be washed and less towels were returned. Considering you're charged $25 per missing towel, THAT is not okay. It was also kind of icky when my teenager found a wallet inside HER bed. It was obviously a child's wallet with a few dollars in it. Why was it still there? Does that mean the sheets hadn't been changed before we arrived?

I thought the food at Versailles and Aqua was fine, nothing fabulous but there were a lot of choices and service was great. Both restaurants worked hard to seat all 11 of us together and mostly succeeded. I was disappointed at Cagney's. The food was okay but it wasn't better than the free meals at Aqua and Versailles. I had the large Filet Mignon and it was completely tasteless. It was definitely fun and the service was great but the food was not worth paying an extra $15 per person for. Our dinner at Endless Summer was similar. The added price there is only $10 which includes a margarita. We all tried different things, mine was something like Il Polo, which is made for two people. It came hanging and our waiter cut it down. It was a ton of fun to watch but was disappointing to eat. The steak was like flavored shoe leather. We all laughed that it was similar to gum, you just chew until there isn't any flavor left and then spit it out. One of the desserts was a chocolate cake and seriously, something was wrong with it. We all laughed because it was one of those situations where you say, "This tastes horrible, you've got to try it!" I know the waiter would have been happy to bring new items but there was more than enough food elsewhere to share.

The buffets were average buffets . . . nothing fabulous but there was certainly an abundance of food. There are stations everywhere to sanitize hands and I was actually surprised at how many guests did NOT do this!

I've been cruising for almost 30 years now and there are definitely some differences in trying to make less money go further. This is not your cruise where your bus boy remembers what you like to drink and brings it before you ask. But, smiles and greetings given were always returned.

I do love the new disembarkation where you can simply leave your room early if you want to pack out your own luggage. For those of you that travel light, this was amazingly easy! Kudos on that NCL.

Unless the company changes their policy, I will certainly not be booking NCL for the four 21st birthdays that will be coming up. My younger children had all already begun planning their own "birthday" cruises. I do realize that service can be refused to anyone for any reason but to deny someone a cocktail on their 21st birthday, it won't happen again.

annish3
Past NCL cruises, Sunward II, Skyward (3x), Norway (2x), Dawn (2x)
Holland America (5x)
Princess (4x)
Royal (3x)
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Admiral

good review. We did the Star with a church group about 18 months ago. Much of what you saw, we did too. Cagneys was a disappointment but was certainly good or very good. We actually had eggs benedict on a couple of mornings in the buffet. That was a pleasant surprise.

As for our cabin steward, he or I should say they were great but on our last spirit cruise it was the worst, next to Princess. Acutaly worse than Princess.

You are right, in 30 years (about how long we have been cruising as well) things have changed termendously, not all for the bad, but cut backs for sure..

Nita