Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Default BRINGING LIQUOR/SODA ON BOARD

CAN YOU OR IS THERE A WAY TO BRING LIQUOR AND/OR SODA ON BOARD WHEN FIRST EMBARKING?
CAN YOU GET JUICES 24/7 OR

JUST WHEN BUFFETS ARE OPEN?
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
First Mate

No liquor allowed to be brought on board however sodas are fine.If you sneak booze on board and are caught you will report to the [naughty room]wher they will make you open up your suitcase and take all returning to you at the end of the cruise. I mighy add that NCL is the most strict in this regard. They are going to make sure that drinking on their ship will be a good profit item.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

tennisbum said it all; if you are willing to give it a try and not start whining if you are called to the naughty room go ahead, but be prepared. As for jusice, they are offered in the dining room and buffet for breakfast. We will someimes get a couple extra when eating in the buffet to have in our cabin later in the day.

Nita
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Beginner

How about buying some liquor at a port of call to take back to your room? If you hide it real good when you are not there? I'm a first time cruiser and need to know these things. Thanks
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd4gfx
How about buying some liquor at a port of call to take back to your room? If you hide it real good when you are not there? I'm a first time cruiser and need to know these things. Thanks
every time you get back on the ship you and your belongings go through the X ray machine. It will pick the booze up no matter how hard you try. Been there, done that!!!1
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Default bringing liquor/soda on board

Do they limit the amt of soda brought on board?
If you are allowed to bring bottled water on board,do they check it?
Not trying to be cheap just trying to save a few bucks as I think the rinks on board are crazy priced.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: bringing liquor/soda on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNURSE62
Do they limit the amt of soda brought on board?
If you are allowed to bring bottled water on board,do they check it?
Not trying to be cheap just trying to save a few bucks as I think the rinks on board are crazy priced.
you are not being cheap, I don't blame you for trying to save a buck here and there. You can bring all the water on you want, but may I suggest you bring just a few bottles and re-fill them. The water on the ship is very good, no need to carry all that weight. As for soda, yes, you can bring it on as well. However, the same, you may want to just bring a little on and replenish it when in various ports depending on what ports you will be visiting and if there will be stores to get soda. Most ports do have places you can pick up these types of items.

Nita
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yeoman

With the question "do they check it?", I think that OBNURSE62 might have meant if it's possible to replace the water with something else.

If that's the question, the x-ray machine might show a difference if the bottle contains water or something else, I'm not 100% sure.
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
With the question "do they check it?", I think that OBNURSE62 might have meant if it's possible to replace the water with something else.

If that's the question, the x-ray machine might show a difference if the bottle contains water or something else, I'm not 100% sure.
I think it would depend on what the "other" substance is. I have heard of them checking the water bottles to see if the seal has been broken, but I have never paid much attention. I have also read about people who actually use something like super glue to re-seal the bottles after filling them with liquids other than water. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would go to that much bother...They must be big time drinkers...
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yeoman

I'm sure that you understand what I meant with "other", for example vodka or gin which might look lika water but I guess that the x-ray machine can see a difference between vodka and water.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I'm sure that you understand what I meant with "other", for example vodka or gin which might look lika water but I guess that the x-ray machine can see a difference between vodka and water.
they seem to anyway.

Nita
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Passenger

I wouldn't even try after our experience. We tried and got caught. They will send a letter to your staterm and require you to go to their "search room" and will go thru all of your stuff in front of others. Then they remove and tag it (returned the last night to you). At that point you're required to haul all of your luggage by yourself to your room. If you bring liquor - they take it w/ no corkage fee option. If you bring a box of wine - $30. corkage fee. So...with that said...good luck if you attempt. THey want you to spend $10 - $14 per drink! Just make sure you have a large budget for cocktails!
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Passenger

I wonder about juice. My husband is involved in a study for his alzheimers disease, and must take a lizuid medicine in unsweetened grape juice twice a day, 12 ounces each time. I was going to bring onboard the 3 bottles of unsweetened grape juice he would need for the week. Should I bring a doctor's note? So they don't think I'm sneaking wine on board. Some years ago we brought wine on board RCI, in the suitcase, and no one even noticed.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Passenger

You will get caught but I believe with a Dr's note, they would be completely understanding and allow you to bring it onboard.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ashleyx3

on my last cruise my dad put a bottle of vodka in the middle of his suitcase surrounded by all of his clothes and there were no problems.

Past Cruise - Carnival Glory March 2007 (leaving from Florida)

myspace.com/ashnpunkrock4eva
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

No note is needed, carry on all the juice you need!
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on 3 cruiselines and took 2 to 3 bottles of alcohol on each one....never even came close to getting caught. You can hide bottles or box in your luggage that is checked. I don't think they really xray those large suitcases. At least we didn't get caught. Also, I have taken wine, box and bottles, onboard in my carry-on and have never been asked to look in my carry on bags. I have cruised on NCL, Carnival (they allow you to take on 1 bottle of wine per person but never even checked for it) and RC.
Also, I have bought large water bottle and filled with alcohol while out on islands and never questioned what was in my bottle. If you get nervous while getting back on ship, take a drink of it just like it was water right in front of the check-in. They won't doubt you.
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscaro
I have been on 3 cruiselines and took 2 to 3 bottles of alcohol on each one....never even came close to getting caught. You can hide bottles or box in your luggage that is checked. I don't think they really xray those large suitcases. At least we didn't get caught. Also, I have taken wine, box and bottles, onboard in my carry-on and have never been asked to look in my carry on bags. I have cruised on NCL, Carnival (they allow you to take on 1 bottle of wine per person but never even checked for it) and RC.
Also, I have bought large water bottle and filled with alcohol while out on islands and never questioned what was in my bottle. If you get nervous while getting back on ship, take a drink of it just like it was water right in front of the check-in. They won't doubt you.
They in fact xray every bag no matter how large. The primary reason like the airport is our security. I would never get on a ship again if they did not. Do they find every bottle as a secondary function of those screenings ? No. Do the find a lot and have you visit a public room to open that large case? Yes.

Just ask all the folks that had to come and claim these bags on the Jewel

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Shoreguy is exactly correct. If you want to attempt to bring alcohol aboard, just be prepared to have it confiscated after waiting in a long line to retrieve your bags. If they don't find it, consider yourself one of the few lucky ones and enjoy the major $$ savings for the week.

*Be assured they do exray all bags!*
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Familiar Face

One thing I know for sure, is that they don't always, and never have looked in my carry on bags!! I always have bottles in them and Carnival even allows it.
All you have to do if they find alcohol in your carry ons is hand it over!
Now, for those that feel secure by getting their bags xrayed....you have a false sense of security because it's very easy to carry on weapons if someone wanted to!! That's a fact.!!
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscaro
One thing I know for sure, is that they don't always, and never have looked in my carry on bags!! I always have bottles in them and Carnival even allows it.
All you have to do if they find alcohol in your carry ons is hand it over!
Now, for those that feel secure by getting their bags xrayed....you have a false sense of security because it's very easy to carry on weapons if someone wanted to!! That's a fact.!!
Well first off, you refer to Carnival, not NCL, second, Carnival as well as RCI are cracking down more. They still are not strict as NCL. of course all you have to do is turn it over, but you are missing the point. People want to know how to get in on board. All cruise lines are using xray for carry on bags as well. How do you think they find our wine??

As for security, of course no one is completely safe, but I would rather have Xray checks than nothing....