Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Default practical advice

[hi everyone, how early to we need to be at the ship, the day of the curise?we will be on the gem, first cruise and a little nervous..we dont know what to expect..thanks all!!!! :[/b]
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Admiral

What time does your ship sail? Typically people like to board as soon as possible. I tend to get there so I can board the ship sometime after 11am

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Admiral

We usually try to board before noon, he longer you are on the ship before sailing the more time you have to explore. You do want to be on board at least an hour or more prior to sailing.

I think you will have a wonderful time on your cruise. Welcome to the world of cruising.

As for your other question about fans, no, they do not provide them.

Nita
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Once you board, around 11 or so, you can go up to to the Lido deck, and grab some lunch...then, if you want to make any appointments, like the spa, & hairdresser, make them then.

When you pack, put a bathing suit in your carry on, so if you want to sunbathe, you can. Ypur luggage will most likely be in front of your cabin by dinner time...

Expore all you can, to get the lay of the ship, grab a drink if you want, and stand by the rail, as you cruise, out of port.

Most importantly, go with the flow, and enjoy every mnute!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

We like to board some where between 1 & 2 pm it seems like the lines are smaller then and are on within 30 min and our cabin has always been ready by then.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
First Mate

I board at 11am. Never had to wait long.

You are in for such a treat!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

On the GEM we borded early,went to the cabin, dropped off hand luggage, and then went to the main dining room and had a nice lunch. The menu is limited for obvious reasons, they are doing the change over etc, but it is nice after a long drive to sit down and have a nice meal and just relax, then onto the cabin, and then onto the deck to get ready for the sail away. Enjoy.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delft
On the GEM we borded early,went to the cabin, dropped off hand luggage, and then went to the main dining room and had a nice lunch. The menu is limited for obvious reasons, they are doing the change over etc, but it is nice after a long drive to sit down and have a nice meal and just relax, then onto the cabin, and then onto the deck to get ready for the sail away. Enjoy.
Same exact roadmap here. I will be at the pier around 10:30 - 11:00. Boarding in NYC does not normally start untill after 11:30. You never know with winter in NY. I have cruised from NYC every Feb. since 2004 when NCL starter year round. I have boarded as early as 10:45 and as late as 6:00 pm and in all cases one of the first onboard.

Donna they will board in this order if you are there and waiting. First any wedding parties, VIPs and Penthouse, Latitudes past passengers, and then you

Stay away from the buffet/lido deck. They will try and direct you there when you board. It is always a zoo that first lunch. Head for the main dining room and enjoy a relaxing first meal onboard while the cabins are being readied.

You will clear security first, then check in giving your credit card, having your security picture taken, and given your key card. They will give you a card with your boarding # that they will call later.

If you arrive after initial boarding has been completed you will go thru the same process but then directly onto the Gem with no card,

Security

Check in

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Oh Shoreguy, those pics made me remember thats what I usually do every winter.because my mother is sadly terminally ill, I have opted not to leave, as even though she is "stable" for now, it is not a stable that lasts for long or doesnt change from stable to crisis with great ease. One day though, and it will be good to be back. Just hope the New York terminal will be better when we get off than last January when for the first time we had to get all our bags and then stand in huge and I mean huge lines to get out, but we needed a red cap, and waited for an hour just to get some one and then had to stand in the line......... Apparently they were going to "make that part better ". It was the first time it went that way.