Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Default 4 adults in an AB Penthouse

Hello,
This will be my second cruise. We are taking my parents to Alaska on teh Pearl. I have two questions.

1. We are planning on all 4 of us staying in an AB Penthouse - is the bed in the children's room big enough for a couple? We really like the amenities of the Penhouse but are wondering if it wouldn't be better to get 2 BA rooms.

2. I see discounts are popping up all over the place now. I have put a deposit on the room, but am wondering if I shouldn't have waited. When they slash prices can I still take advantage of it before I pay in full?

Thank you to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Admiral

can you take advantage of price reductions after final payment? Only if the final payment date has not arrived and passed. Some people make final payment before it is due. The cruise lines don't care, if the date has not arrived they will adjust, if it has the best they will do is an upgrade. Of course if you have a penthouse suite there isn't many places to upgrade you to. Your question about the beds, my guess is they would be fine, but hopefully you can get a better answer from someone else. Are you using a travel agent or directly through NCL? Either way they can help you, especially if you call NCL.

By the way, welcome to cruisemates!!!

Nita
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the quick reply.

We are booking through AAA. I am surprised by how many questions I have!

One of our party is Military, so the AB suite was the only room where we could stay together with there being a separate room so we could take full atvantage of the discount.

It is all so confusing!

I have really enjoyed reading the message board, it has answered so much.

I did just call NCL and they said that there will be no coupon books for 2009
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnn9999
Thank you for the quick reply.

We are booking through AAA. I am surprised by how many questions I have!

One of our party is Military, so the AB suite was the only room where we could stay together with there being a separate room so we could take full atvantage of the discount.

It is all so confusing!

I have really enjoyed reading the message board, it has answered so much.

I did just call NCL and they said that there will be no coupon books for 2009
too bad about the coupon books, we were pretty much told the same thing, but they really aren't all that great. The best thing is or was the 2 for 1 dining at the sur charge restaurant. It was kinda like the books we used to get when we went to Vegas (by the way they aren't as easy to get as in years past) they offer a couple of good deals, but not anything to lose sleep over.

Nita
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

when u find out about discountts please post it. nita can u re-explain the method for requesting deposits
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Beginner

We gave up and booked 2 BA rooms - we needed a bed that would split into two for my parents, and none of the suites would do that. I am still really looking forward to the trip, now we get to plan the shore excursions!
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Default AB Category -Good answers for you

Hi,

In regards to your question on the AB category, you made the best decision to NOT book the Penthouse. We just returned from a cruise on the Pearl and were in the "Amber Suite" 11530 (AB). Our room was located right under the ping pong tables. It was the most disappointing and miserable cruise we had ever experienced! It's very sad to save and spend that kind of money for a much needed vacation to be forced to listen to the booming of people jumping above your room day and night. We contacted the front desk and our concierge many times with absolutely NO resolution. We've sailed many times, mostly Royal Caribbean, and that is what we will return to. Never again will we go on NCL due to their non-concerning attitude. Also, the "Freestyle" dining experience wasn't so freestyle after all. You must make reservations if you want to eat at a reasonable hour (before 9-9:30). If the situation was different, we would have loved our suite. It is much nicer and roomier than Royal's Grand Suites providing a private room for our daughter and her own bathroom...not to mention 4 tv's total! WHat a sad shame they don't have a better solution for these rooms all located on deck 11 which is right under the pool deck. My other family members were in Mini suites and they were perfect for 2 people. We actually would have switched to one in order to have peace and quiet but the ship refused to help us. If you need any further information, please let me know.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Beginner

We were in an AB penthouse on the Jewel. The Main bedroom had a great bathroom. The shower and tube overlooked the ocean.The second bedroom and bathroom were small. The room was like an inside cabin(however I thought it felt smaller). The double couch was okay to sleep on,but the pullman was great. The room I think would be fine for two adults to sleep in. Try not to bring a lot of clothes the storage in the room is very tight. You could only hang about eight things and the three small dressers are very little. I hope you have a good time on your cruise.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Captain

I would go with the AB. The only time your parents will need to use the inside room is to sleep and change. Having the large living/dining room as shared space will be perfect. Throw in the perks, butler, consierge, Cagney's, Express on and off the ship, VIP cocktail party, perfered reservations......will make the trip special

The sofa bed makes up into a true double bed. Have the room stewards put a foam topper on it and your parents will be very comfortable.

As posted you may have to share some of the master closet space with the parents. Clearly it holds more then 6 items with 2 one foot hanger holders.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Passenger

We had 4 adults in an AB on the Dawn. It was fine for us. It was only a 2 day. I have also spent 7 days in an AB on the Dawn with 2 kids. It is a great space has super perks and really worth it.