Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Self Serve Laundry Facilities

Hi to all past, present and future NCL cruisers, Just wanted to express my disappointment at the cancellation of the self serve laundry facilities on the NCL ships. Having sailed on the Jewel several times and being a back-to-back cruiser (usually on board for 27 days), as well as having two small children (ages 3 & 7) I was very grateful for the laundry room on board. We are booked on a 33 day back to back cruise for 2009 on the Sun. I telephoned guest relations to find out how different the Sun is compared to the Jewel. In the conversation I found out that the laundry facility has been cancelled. He gave me an idea of the cost of the laundry service i.e., $4.50 for shorts and $2.00 per pair of socks. To put things in perspective lets add it up…$2.00 per pair of socks x 4 people x 33 days = $264.00 Just wanted all the NCL cruisers who do back to back cruises, who cruise with young children and those who still travel on a budget to know this new development. I have previously cruised on Holland American a few times. They have laundry rooms…may have to go back to them depending on the length of cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

This was a disappointment to many when we found out, but very few lines offer the service. Actually I beleive HAL has it but they do charge something. I know that is still better. Hopefully NCL will not do away with the laundry bag special or the pressing special.

To add one more thing, dont be surprised when HAL does away with it as well. It seems when one line adds or takes something away others follow, some sooner, some later.
Nita
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Beginner

In speaking to guest relations at 1 (866) 625-1164 I was told that I was only the second person to inquire about this change. To be disappointed is one thing but to make your disappointment known is another. We are the customer and they are supposed to tailor the service to us and our needs. If we are going to tolerate these cut-backs and not say a word they are going to continue with further cut-backs while we sit idly by. United we stand divided we lose
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Captain

Don't look to me to call and raise a fuss. The only time I set foot in an onboard laundry room was to take pictures. I would guess only a very small percentage of pasengers ever used them. In fact if we were not on the boards we would not even know they ever had laundry rooms. Most ships only had 9 washers in total on 3 decks not something designed for wide usage.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Don't look to me to call and raise a fuss. The only time I set foot in an onboard laundry room was to take pictures. I would guess only a very small percentage of pasengers ever used them. In fact if we were not on the boards we would not even know they ever had laundry rooms. Most ships only had 9 washers in total on 3 decks not something designed for wide usage.

Shoreguy,

We did use them on our Jewel cruise because we had spent a week in Europe prior to sailing and it was a life saver, but, I also agree with you. There were only about 2 or 3 people anywhere near the laundry and one was there just to iron a blouse or hubby's shirt. I actually did a second batch a couple of days later and there was only 1 other person using the room. Again, it was the ironing board. I don't think this would make or break a cruise for many, but I guess for some it will.

Nita
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I found my friend used the laundry alot. Airlines restrict the luggage one can take, and with families, and NCL is family friendly, it was so handy having the washer should one be needed. It's a pity they are taking it away.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Beginner

Well, I guess it depends on the itinerary and length of cruise, as well as age of cruiser. If you are a middle age man on a Caribbean cruise for seven days you probably would not find use for a laundry room. However, if you were on a European cruise or a South American cruise for a month I would hope to find you at least once in the laundry room or please don’t sit near me. It’s funny how you were able to get a photo of an empty room. On my last cruise on NCL in Sept. 2008, 24 day Baltic/transatlantic (also having been in London, UK for a week before catching the cruise in Dover) the wait was so long for the use of the machines that people started a waiting list so they could leave and get a call in their cabin when it was their turn. All of the people who were on that cruise know what it was like especially those with the children. Never once did I walk into the laundry room without finding people waiting. My husband and I found it best to go down in the middle of the night on the eve of a port day but even then we would run into others. It was the exact same way when I was on my 25 day Mediterranean cruise in May/June of 2007 after spending an additional week in Athens, Greece before catching the cruise. The laundry room was always packed! Maybe it’s just a need that back to back cruisers and people cruising with young children need. If a laundry room is not a need that you have than that’s fine but for all of us out there that need this service please make your need known.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

shoreguy,
Is there anything you don,t have a picture of. You are so helpful I'm glad to be on this site with you. Thanks
If I ever need a photo of something on the ship I know where to go, but I will never ask about the Balcony or Freestyle deck .
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
Admiral

well I bet there are pictures he wouldn't want us to see??

Diana,

Even though I saw almost no one in the laundry rooms you obviously did. It is good to know some people do use them, but I think there is something you are overlooking; you are talking about how much you need them because you travel with kids and take extremely long vacations, remember most people, even on 12 and 14 day cruises do not take the types of holidays you are talking about. I am sure the marketing dept of NCL as well as other lines have thought this through and have come to the conclusion the amount of people benefitting from self service laundry does not warrent the cost of operating them when the area can be used for something else.

I do agree they are a great feature and as I said we really enjoyed having a place on the Jewel to do a couple of batches, but I doubt many people would put that convenience near the top of their list when choosing a cruise line.

Nita :
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Captain

[quote="Bentnail
shoreguy,
Is there anything you don,t have a picture of. You are so helpful I'm glad to be on this site with you. Thanks
If I ever need a photo of something on the ship I know where to go, but I will never ask about the Balcony or Freestyle deck .[/quote]

Why not

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am disappointed that the laundry areas have been removed. I know that we have used them on each NCL cruise. It was great to was a load of t-shirts, shorts and undergarments.

On our last cruise (Jewel, Baltic) the laundry rooms were almost always full on sea days and the only time you could get in was late or early.

More people use them on longer cruises, especially overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNita
This was a disappointment to many when we found out, but very few lines offer the service.
"Very few" is not correct. There are a number of lines that offer the service, even luxury and niche lines like Oceania.

Holland America
Azamara
Carnival
Crystal
Disney
Oceania
Princess
Regent Seven Seas

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I am disappointed that the laundry areas have been removed. I know that we have used them on each NCL cruise. It was great to was a load of t-shirts, shorts and undergarments.

On our last cruise (Jewel, Baltic) the laundry rooms were almost always full on sea days and the only time you could get in was late or early.

Quote:
This was a disappointment to many when we found out, but very few lines offer the service.
"Very few" is not correct. There are a number of lines that offer the service, even luxury and niche lines like Oceania.

No question they were used but with only a few rooms onboard only by perhaps <10%. The $20 stuff a bag that they seem to running twice on the longer cruises is perfect for what you washed. I know for a fact I was able to stuff just over $50 at reagular rates into one bag on the Jade. I know this because the initial bill was by the piece not the flat rate and no hanging out in the laundry room for a couple hours.

Holland America
Azamara
Carnival
Crystal
Disney
Oceania
Princess
Regent Seven Seas

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
First Mate

I would usually use them once on a cruise and it meant I could bring fewer clothes. Especially tshirts and underwear and the like. No biggie, but I thought it was convenient on a sea day just to get up early and do it.
Call me crazy but laundry is something I like to do.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No question they were used but with only a few rooms onboard only by perhaps <10%. The $20 stuff a bag that they seem to running twice on the longer cruises is perfect for what you washed. I know for a fact I was able to stuff just over $50 at reagular rates into one bag on the Jade. I know this because the initial bill was by the piece not the flat rate and no hanging out in the laundry room for a couple hours.

Holland America
Azamara
Carnival
Crystal
Disney
Oceania
Princess
Regent Seven Seas

The person I spoke to at guest relations said that not all the NCL ships have the full bag specials and the special only pops up once in awhile. This was the same person who told me it cost $2.00 to have one pair of socks cleaned!
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana.s.f

The person I spoke to at guest relations said that not all the NCL ships have the full bag specials and the special only pops up once in awhile. This was the same person who told me it cost $2.00 to have one pair of socks cleaned!
I have yet to be on an NCL cruise that did not have that special in the last 5 years. Looking at the laundry prices from my last cruise socks were $1 a pair.

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Passenger

I don't remember there being a fee style sun deck on the Jewel??
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Admiral

We had a full bag special on our cruise, but the bag sure would not hold much and even as a special we would not pay that price for that small a bag. I won't pay the laundry fee's. I would sooner do things by hand before sending out laundry. I like that the laundry machines are available, or were, a friend of mine used them alot, DS's GF also used them, The fact NCL used to have laundry room was a pluss in the pluss or pro colum for me as to why I should take a particular cruise line , the fact it has been removed puts a strike into the negative side for me.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Since we travel with kids and we generally extend trips out longer than just getting to and from the cruise, we really like the convenience of laundries on the ship. I always use the laundry if the ship has one.

Our last cruise was a western Med. and we were gone over two weeks. We paid well over $100 extra to have essentials washed while on board, since there was no laundry onboard. I don't have any regrets, since this cruise was very port intensive and had no sea days, it was money well spent. But on our North American cruises, I intend to spend a little time doing research to find a laundry to drop of our clothes at in port, and then pick them up as we return to the ship. I refuse to pack that much stuff when you have to fly. It is just too hard to handle 2 kids and all that luggage.
I think this is not that big of a deal (but I wish they still had the laundry), you just need to plan ahead and find alternative arrangements. I kind of feel like it would be nicer to just drop my laundry off at a local laundry in port, while I get to go relax at the beach then go pick it up on the way back. I don't mind that too much...but don't tell NCL that .

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

I have yet to be on an NCL cruise that did not have that special in the last 5 years. Looking at the laundry prices from my last cruise socks were $1 a pair.

actually Shoreguy, the Star did not offer in the last time we cruised them which was fall of 2007. They did have the first day pressing special..

Nita
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Quote:

actually Shoreguy, the Star did not offer in the last time we cruised them which was fall of 2007. They did have the first day pressing special..

Nita

I'm not sure how old you list is but the person I spoke to at NCL guest relations was Mario at 1 866 625-1164 ex 4774. I spoke to him on several occasions. He has called me several times with different pieces of information on the laundry situation. It was the day I wrote my first message (Jan. 20 '09) that he called me with the prices from the Sun with the socks being $2.00 a pair. Now, although he works for NCL he could be wrong...I guess! Feel free to phone him, it's toll free and I would hate for you to go on a long cruise expecting to pay $1.00 a pair and find out the cost has doubled since they removed the do-it-yourself facility and now have a captive client

DSF
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Captain

DSF

$1 or $2 it does not matter. The only way I would send out socks would be part of the $20 special or it is into the sink for them

Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I used the "$20 Special" bag as a laundry bag and was able to do two of them for $2.00. (the cost of the detergent)

Not a bad savings for a few minutes of actual work.

I don't understand why they didn't charge for using the machines on the Jewel. They only charged for the detergent. Carnival is $2.00/load for washing and somewhere around a $2 for drying.

My wife and I leave this afternoon for Barcelona and to board the Jade. I now will budget for a couple of bags into our budget. Like Beenie, we hate lugging a bunch of luggage around the airports.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I used the "$20 Special" bag as a laundry bag and was able to do two of them for $2.00. (the cost of the detergent)

Not a bad savings for a few minutes of actual work.

I don't understand why they didn't charge for using the machines on the Jewel. They only charged for the detergent. Carnival is $2.00/load for washing and somewhere around a $2 for drying.

My wife and I leave this afternoon for Barcelona and to board the Jade. I now will budget for a couple of bags into our budget. Like Beenie, we hate lugging a bunch of luggage around the airports.

Take care,
Mike
I think both Princess and HAL charge as well, I know one of them does. That is why I made the comment most lines don't have self laundry, I was thinking in the terms of "free"

Nita
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Beginner

I really don’t like the idea of having my children’s and my clothes washed in some unknown brand of industrial strength laundry detergent. The customer should have options on board. As for me, I’m exploring my other options with other cruise lines. Last night I spoke to HAL she laughed and said it should not be the case that NCL do away with laundry rooms on the ships that do long journeys or back to back cruises. It would be more reasonable to do away with them on the ships that only do the 4 day Canada/New England and 7 day Caribbean runs. Anyway, I’m trying to find the same 33 day South American cruise on a ship that has what I need. I have until Aug. to make my payment with NCL so hopefully I will be giving it to HAL instead. Besides that I like HAL and like that my family brings the mean age down on all the HAL cruises we‘ve been on.

DSF
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a thought, when we were on the Jewel in October we were very pleased to see that there were laundry facilities on board. This very message board was where I originally was informed that there was such a thing available.

When we got on board, we found that all of the laundry rooms were closed and signs posted with the reason being tied to the Noro Virus outbreak from the week before.

Could it be that the laundry rooms were closed to prevent a possible spread of the virus on-board??????

One question: We saw the sign for the Free-Style deck on the Jewel but it was in October and we were in Canada. Is this what I think it is supposed to be?????
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
Just a thought, when we were on the Jewel in October we were very pleased to see that there were laundry facilities on board. This very message board was where I originally was informed that there was such a thing available.

When we got on board, we found that all of the laundry rooms were closed and signs posted with the reason being tied to the Noro Virus outbreak from the week before.

Could it be that the laundry rooms were closed to prevent a possible spread of the virus on-board??????

One question: We saw the sign for the Free-Style deck on the Jewel but it was in October and we were in Canada. Is this what I think it is supposed to be?????

Jim
You have a very good point on why the laundry rooms were closed. I didn't think of that. Thanks

re: Free-Style deck if you are thinking what I think you are then the answer is yes. There are posts about this all over, if interested just look them up.