Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Default LAPTOP COMPUTERS

I have sailed on other cruise lines many times and use my laptop computer to stay connected. You go to the main computers to get an ID and password for your computer and then can go to "Hot Spots" on the ship to get connected using various plans you select. My question is, does NCL work the same way as far as using personal laptops? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Admiral

yup it sure does. Its been great and easy using my lap top on board. I down load all my messages onto my own computer, disconnect, answer them all and the re connect to send. It saves ALOT of minutes wasted on line! Which saves me money to be spent in the bling store
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Admiral

does the Dawn have wi-fi and if so, does it work: up on Lido deck, in an inside cabin, and in other public areas throughout the ship?
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
does the Dawn have wi-fi and if so, does it work: up on Lido deck, in an inside cabin, and in other public areas throughout the ship?
Wireless coverage areas

DAWN
Atrium Deck 7, 8 & 9, Deck 12
Poolside, Conference Room & Library

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/426/769/...ternetCafe.pdf

You may get some coverage in the Garden Cafe and a few cabins near the Atrium.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Thanks!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Delft,
I am not a computer wiz by any means. I was wondering if you could help me with your posting about this subject. When you sign on and get your e-mail, is there something that you have to do before you disconnect from the ship's internet sot that you can then work on your e-mails?

I have a wireless USB connection and usually take my laptop with me. This is great as long as I am within shot of a cell in the U.S. or Canada but we will be in the Caribbean later this month on the Pearl and I will need to get a connection from the ship.

I tried using the laptop here at home, getting my e-mail open and then disconnected the USB. I tried to work on the e-mails but I got a message showing that I couldn't because the internet connection was off.

What do I need to do to keep the e-mails available to work on until I can re-connect?
-Jim
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Passenger

If you're using a webmail account (hotmail, yahoo, etc.) you'll have to stay connected if you want to read/reply in real time. Or save the page with your email message on your computer, log off, and compose a reply in notepad, wordpad, or your word processor. Then log back on, hit reply and copy and paste your text.

If you're using POP3 email (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) you just download the emails, log off, compose replies and new messages, and log back on and upload them.

If you using hotmail you can configure Outlook to grab your email and download it. I think it can also be done with Gmail. Check out the POP3 options available on your webmail service if that's what your using.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Davejohn,
Thanks for the excellent information. I did not realize that there was a difference between the types of accounts. I used the method of saving e-mails and working on them off-line before I retired and was traveling a lot. I was using Outlook then so that why it was pretty much automatic.

I am now on AOL. It sounds like it is less advantageous to try this method while onboard the ship.

I will play around with it and see if I can get it to work at home before we go on the cruise

-Jim